Have you used Agoda?

steady saver

Recycles dryer sheets
In planning our travel to London in May, I came across a sight called Agoda that was offering a crazy good deal on a hotel that someone had recommended. Has anyone ever used Agoda? I'm always leary of a good deal like this but drawn to it too!
It does say you can cancel (free) so I'm also wondering if anyone who has used it has also had to cancel and how that went.

Yes, I saw that. Reviews bounce around but more recent ones suggest communication issues between Agoda and the hotels.

That said, I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has had an actual experience using them - when that was, how it went, etc.

Thanks!

We've used Agoda quite a few times in the past, generally to book hotels in Asia, but not within the last decade so consider my comments with caution. (I pulled up our last booking which was for Seoul in 2015 and I still get their marketing spam weekly.) We generally try to book directly with the hotel nowadays but in the past, for us it seemed more difficult to find/book certain hotels, particularly smaller/boutique hotels in Asia. I'm assuming it was due to the difficulty in setting up/maintaining a website in English with booking, inventory, and payment systems integrated back in the day.

We've also used Booking.com and initially commented how similiar they were (other than one including the taxes in the initial price quotes). So it wasn't a surprise when we found out they were part of the same travel conglomerate.
We haven't cancelled a booking with Agoda but vaguely recall a friend did without issues. And I don't recall any general issues with any of our bookings.

While I would consider booking on Agoda again, I think it's fairly understood nowadays that hotels will generally match prices you find on third party booking sites. But you never know what's happening in the background: Eg. The hotel has an arrangement to hold some rooms for the third party booking site, the third party booking site gets a discounted rate to pass on to their customer because of the volume they drive to the hotel, etc.

In planning our travel to London in May, I came across a sight called Agoda that was offering a crazy good deal on a hotel that someone had recommended. Has anyone ever used Agoda? I'm always leary of a good deal like this but drawn to it too!
It does say you can cancel (free) so I'm also wondering if anyone who has used it has also had to cancel and how that went.

Yes. We have used it frequently during 6 winters in Thailand/Malaysia/Vietnam. In some respects we prefer it to booking.com.

Never a problem. We often check pricing on booking, agoda, and direct. Our experience with Agoda has been very good. On numerous occasions the price has either been better than bookings, the terms better, or a better room.

We have cancelled a number of times. Refud, where applicable, has always been processed quickly. We use a credit card that does not charge the usual 2.5 percent hidden admin fee on FX transactions. Otherwise we could loose a total of five points when buying/canceling.

We had the strangest experience in Na Trang, Vietnam. Went to the hotel and asked for a rate. It was 25% higher than the Agoda rate. The clerk would not give us the same rate. So we sat in the lobby for two minutes, booked on Agoda, and got the same room.

Last edited:
I use both Agoda and Booking (part of Priceline) without issues. I book mostly in east Asia. Haven't used them much for Europe or US.

Back
Top Bottom