Having a little trouble getting adjusted......

How about preparing yourself for the move to Costa Rica by learning skills that would be useful in that environment.

For starters how is your Spanish? If not fluent, maybe now is the time to start learning.

Also you mention going into the real estate business in that part of the world. Is it worth taking some time to study as to how that business works in Costa Rica?

I think it is important to work on the skills you need to make your new life successful to avoid being dragged back into the life you have been living. Think of Costa Rica as a new chapter and ask yourself what you will need to make that life a success and go from there.

If all else fails have your wife write a list of things she wants done . I've saved my SO from boredom this way . He loves the endless trips to Lowe's and I love the finished projects .

You planned for ER, you succeeded where many have failed, and now you can't figure out how to be responsible for your own entertainment? Did you not see this coming?!?

Now that you have control over most of your time and your focus, you think you should devote it to recreating the environment you just left?!?!!

You've proven that you can tackle business challenges and make them work. You would think that further effort in that direction would result in hollow victories.

Perhaps you owe it to yourself to devote as much time to living your ER as you did to planning for it. An excellent starting point is Ernie Zelinski's "Get-A-Life Tree" in his "How To Retire Happy, Wild, & Free" book. I can fax you my copy-- it's still blank. It's been sitting around on my desk for several years until I take the time to get to it.

As for moving to a little surfing village in Costa Rica-- you surf, right? You can perhaps understand why I'm having a hard time seeing the problem.

Man I miss Hawaii so much, when I see it on tv now I feel pain in my very soul.

I sure relate to the comments by all of the retired business owners. I retired in March 2007, at the age of 48, from sixteen successful years of small business ownership. For me, the biggest challenge is feeling relevant, after so many years wearing esteemable titles such as "employer" and "owner". Transitioning into retirement has been humbling, amongst other things. But that's fine, humility is a good thing. The other difficult adjustment has been that my life has become very quiet (I'm single and live alone), but I'm a very social person. As a friend of mine used to say, "Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for spiritual growth."

By the same token, I am so over business ownership, although business is kind of in my blood. Others turn to me for feedback on their business ideas, so I get my fix that way. Aside from that, I've dived head first into travel and volunteer work. No turning back now.

Tom

No one has talked about the "widow's rule", that is, after a major event (death), take at least one year and DO NOTHING. Don't sell or buy anything, just wait until life is a little slower in order to make prudent decisions. (Unfortunately, I learned this from my mom.)

No one has talked about the "widow's rule", that is, after a major event (death), take at least one year and DO NOTHING. Don't sell or buy anything, just wait until life is a little slower in order to make prudent decisions. (Unfortunately, I learned this from my mom.)
BTDT :(
Sometimes 1 year is not enough, sometimes 1 year is too long.
Same rule applies for divorce, job change or loss, and I'm sure there are some other intense life events.
If the brain is preoccupied and not firing on all cylinders, hold that decision for a clearer day.

I also have a Chrysler dealer in my family - about 3 generations - who are still trying to make it. We don't talk about it too much.

... I'm finding out mentally I was not really prepared to have all this time on my hands and I'm already struggling a little with what to do with myself. ...the shock of not really having to do something everyday is getting to me.

Jeeze, this is my biggest fear. I have signed paperwork to ER in a couple of months and the decision was one of the hardest I have ever made. Not that I love my career so much; in fact I am quite burned out after nearly 28 years. I sincerely hope I have not made a mistake.

One of the other things I've done is dabble in politics. I was asked several times to run for a state office. But I concluded, while I was working full time, that I wasn't rich enough nor poor enough to do that. And, I'm not good at asking people for money aka campaign contributions.
So, to test my personal capacity to deal with the BS that occurs in politics, I volunteered for a local county board. After two years I finally resigned due to my inability to deal with bureaucracy - I'm a hard headed business guy that doesn't suffer fools too well. It was a real learning experience, somewhat fun. But the most important part was that I discovered that I wasn't cut out to be in politics. Some folks love it, I don't.
For some folks getting involved in politics can be a very rewarding experience.

Jeeze, this is my biggest fear. I have signed paperwork to ER in a couple of months and the decision was one of the hardest I have ever made. Not that I love my career so much; in fact I am quite burned out after nearly 28 years. I sincerely hope I have not made a mistake.

Everybody goes through an adjustment period . You need to learn that it is okay to just relax and do things at a leisurely pace. The first few times I spent a day reading I felt like I should be doing more . Now I realize some days that is enough .

Wow, great replies. Thanks. Looks like I'm not alone with this "adjustment problem".

For an update, I told my wife (who is working part time if I forgot to mention that) that I had a little freak-out the other day, and she made the comment that maybe part of the reason was because now SHE is working and I'm not. I think that is part of my "problem"-- I've gone from the center of attention (in my mind--lol) to a kind of "support" position cooking and cleaning and doing laundry and it just hit me wrong that day. When we discussed ER over the years the plan was never for one of us to work, but because my retirement was a little bit forced by the economy I panicked and pushed her into getting this part time librarian job, which could now lead to a full time job next year because the school really loves her. She likes the part time job, but the prospect of full time is not very exciting for either of us. The reasoning on the job was to help with expenses while we downsized to a more manageable house and budget. However, if she goes full time we really will not be ERed, but instead will have just flip-flopped our duties. I want her to put the full time job deal on hold so we can either try this Costa Rica adventure or just try to enjoy things a little and do nothing for right now. We are at a 3% withdrawl rate right now with her part time gig and with our "big" fixed expenses, and that's not living high on the hog at all as far as entertainment and food and stuff. I'm not really comfortable with the 3% rate for some reason, but maybe I should just chill and see what happens. Does that 3% sound too high to yall? We are in our early 40s btw, two kids 9 and 11. And from Texas. Hence the "yall". :LOL:

I like this idea. I think we are jumping to quickly into things (like her job). I'm used to moving fast and making lots of decisioins every day, and I've got to try to control that.

If all else fails have your wife write a list of things she wants done . I've saved my SO from boredom this way . He loves the endless trips to Lowe's and I love the finished projects

That's a good idea, maybe. In fact she asked me to take the sheets off the beds the other day and wash them while she was headed off to work. That may be what started my panic attack. :LOL:

How about preparing yourself for the move to Costa Rica by learning skills that would be useful in that environment.

For starters how is your Spanish? If not fluent, maybe now is the time to start learning.

Also you mention going into the real estate business in that part of the world. Is it worth taking some time to study as to how that business works in Costa Rica?

I think it is important to work on the skills you need to make your new life successful to avoid being dragged back into the life you have been living. Think of Costa Rica as a new chapter and ask yourself what you will need to make that life a success and go from there.

Excellent idea. I actually bought the Rosetta Stone program before I closed the business but have used in only a few times for some reason. This is why I love this forum. I need to be slapped around every once and awhile. I have now made an "everyday" to do list, and practice my Spanish is on it. Cool. Bueno.

I would exercise caution. While it sounds exciting to pursue new opportunities, you could make some poor business decisions just to have "something to do".......;)

Maybe you could go back to school or something and learn a new career, or just audit some courses.

I really don't want to start another business, I just didn't know what to do with myself there for awhile so I started thinking about doing something again. I hated almost all aspects of running my business the last couple of years, except for making and saving the money. When the money quit flowing it made my decision to get out pretty easy.

You planned for ER, you succeeded where many have failed, and now you can't figure out how to be responsible for your own entertainment? Did you not see this coming?!?

Now that you have control over most of your time and your focus, you think you should devote it to recreating the environment you just left?!?!!

You've proven that you can tackle business challenges and make them work. You would think that further effort in that direction would result in hollow victories.

Perhaps you owe it to yourself to devote as much time to living your ER as you did to planning for it. An excellent starting point is Ernie Zelinski's "Get-A-Life Tree" in his "How To Retire Happy, Wild, & Free" book. I can fax you my copy-- it's still blank. It's been sitting around on my desk for several years until I take the time to get to it.

As for moving to a little surfing village in Costa Rica-- you surf, right? You can perhaps understand why I'm having a hard time seeing the problem.

Good advice (slap). I needed that. It's crazy-- after all the living cheap and saving for ER over the past 15 years now that we are here I don't know what to do with myself. I now realize that I spent most of my time on the money aspect of ER, but not much actual planning on what we would do once it happened (other than this CR deal, which will probably only be for a year because of the kids and the schools). I'm a goal guy, and a planner, and without a conrete plan I'm a little lost, so how stupid was it to not plan what we were goinig to actually do once I ERed? Don't answer that.

Whew! Sounds like today is better for you. :D
I was pretty highpowered right after FIRE, but you left me in the dust. ;)
I found that putting a powerwasher and then a stain paintbrush in my hands (i.e. redoing the back deck) was an excellent time consumer and the results were fabulous. The feeling of accomplishment was a true Rx for the "jackrabbit" symptoms I felt.
I suspect a project like this might be just the thing for you until FIRE really kicks in. Glad to hear you have a list. :flowers:

I'm a goal guy, and a planner, and without a conrete plan I'm a little lost, so how stupid was it to not plan what we were goinig to actually do once I ERed? Don't answer that.

Exactly the mistake I made. I very carefully planned that the finances would work out but I didn't plan on what to do with me.

DW adjusted better than I did - she went back to school and next month will finish the BA degree she started on 20+ years ago and intends to look for a low-intensity part time job just for "walking around money" and for the social contacts. She also is grateful that she doesn't have to deal with a full time job right now because she's in the middle of dealing with her elderly father - selling his house and getting him into an affordable retirement community where he'll have the medical attention he needs and will not need a car. Hopefully that issue will be resolved in a few more months.

I tried some consulting in computer forensics, but found that to stay current in that fast-paced field one really needs to be in it full time. I was even a car salesman for a month, thinking that would be something new and different that I'd never done before. Well, it was a unique experience - it was the only time in my life I've ever been fired from a job - so I learned that I'm not a salesman, and was laughing as I left the parking lot.

I tried going fishing, walking, bicycling, building model airplanes, reading, etc. as the mood struck but that just didn't work for me.

So for the moment I'm working between three and five days a week (that paid for the motorcycle), next week I'll take a motorcycle rider course, after that maybe sign up for a photography class. While to many here "work" (i.e., paid employment) is almost an obscenity, for me it isn't, because I know it's voluntary in the sense that we don't need the income from it.

I concluded that one just goes along and finds the path that fits, and for now that path fits me. YMMV.

Excellent idea. I actually bought the Rosetta Stone program before I closed the business but have used in only a few times for some reason. This is why I love this forum. I need to be slapped around every once and awhile. I have now made an "everyday" to do list, and practice my Spanish is on it. Cool. Bueno.

Not a direct paste 'cause i don't want to shock delicate eyes, but humour helps:
Married To The Sea - ARCHIVE: Feb 2009

Took a family trip to see the parents and extended family for Easter, and on the way DW and I decided to just go ahead and do our Costa Rica adventure now instead of waiting. We were going to wait until we sold the house and DW was going to go back to work, but we have decided that if we don't go ahead and do it now we may never have the chance. The boys are 9 and 11 now and the school there will accomadate them at this age, and at their age we figure they won't lose too much ground in school compared to if we do it when they are older.

If the house sells during the year or so we are gone that's great. If not we will just keep paying for it and just live in it until it sells when we come back. We had a trip planned for the month of June anyway, so now we can focus on getting everything ready for a longer term move.

How exciting for you. The next few months are going to pass in a whirlwind as you make your preparations. From what I have seen of families who have made similar commitments you will likely all grow closer together as a family unit and make memories that will be making you smile in 40 years time.

So I take it you intend to leave everything in your house and have it on the market? I am sure someone has some experience of doing this and will be along with some candid advice.

Took a family trip to see the parents and extended family for Easter, and on the way DW and I decided to just go ahead and do our Costa Rica adventure now instead of waiting.

CarDude,
You know you have to keep all of us updated as you live in Costa Rica. Many of us dream of living in another Country but will never actually do it. The fact that you have a friend there makes a huge difference. I personally would be very fearful of doing something like this but if I had a good friend to help me get started I'm sure that would be a plus. Anyway, please stay in contact with the forum/group if possible and let us know how things go.
Steve

What an exciting adventure you have in store. Please do keep us updated. I went on a cruise to Costa Rica last year and it was beautiful!

How exciting for you. The next few months are going to pass in a whirlwind as you make your preparations. From what I have seen of families who have made similar commitments you will likely all grow closer together as a family unit and make memories that will be making you smile in 40 years time.

So I take it you intend to leave everything in your house and have it on the market? I am sure someone has some experience of doing this and will be along with some candid advice.

I think you are right about growing closer as a family-- at least that's my goal. There is really not that much to do down there like we are used to doing here so we will be forced (lol) into more family-related things like surf, play on the beach, watch the sunsets, learn the culture, fish, eat healthy food, make new friends, go to new schools, learn the language (me and kids-- DW is semi-fluent), explore, watch sea turtles, whale watching, more surf, buy a car, open a fish taco stand or sell some real estate for pocket money, etc. It will definitely be an adjustment since there is no good TV, no shopping centers, no 711's and long bank (and all other social service) lines. In the US and other "advanced" countries people have to be efficient, but in CR it's all about the PROCESS so I'm trying to prepare for that.

This site explains it well:
The Real Costa Rica. Everything you want or need to know about Costa Rica

We have been to see our friends in CR for the past 3 summers, but only for a couple of weeks at a time so it will be a big adjustment for us living there full time. We will prepare for it so hopefully it will not drive us crazy and back to the states like it does most people who try to do it.

Yes, we are leaving the house furnished since we can't take much with us down there. Maybe we can sell it furnished so I won't have to move all the stuff to storage! To be totally frugal and logical we really should wait until the house sells, but we are just "going for it" for once in our lives and doing something we really want to do instead of what we are "supposed" to do.

Everyone thinks we are crazy, so it might just be a good idea.......

I don't think you are crazy at all. Sometimes life is about taking a bit of a risk. If I recall you are financially ok if the house sells so it's not that much of a risk. The truth is you are going to be going out of most people's comfort zone which is why they think it is so risky.

A couple of things you might want to think about, based on our moves. Have you a family member who you could appoint as your power of attorney to act on your behalf in the event your house does sell? It would help facilitate the selling process if paperwork is not having to go back and forth between Costa Rica and the US. The second thing I would do is think about your personal possessions, what do you really want to retain. I say this from experience as we have had personal effects in storage for 14 years because we left in such a hurry and since then we have never had the opportunity to go thru them. It has cost us an absolute fortune to keep them in storage and half of it just needs to be thrown out. I would keep your most treasured possessions and move them to the smallest possible storage area or if you are lucky enough to have a family member who has area put them there. Think about what you will do with the furniture if it does not sell with the house. For us, last time we were in this position we put the stuff to auction. Of course we did not make anywhere near what it was worth, but the main thing is it was dealt with.

Do It Now

I guess I look at this time of retirement as the chance to do what I always wanted to do when I was in my twenties. A lot of us Babyboomers had paths we wanted to follow but for one reason or another could not.

I was lucky to work in the field I wanted, and to some extent it was never like work for me. because it was what I wanted to do anyway.

The difference now is that I can devote my time to my projects and not someone else' s. So I'm having a ball.

There must be something that you wanted to do that was too impractical or too expensive or just too damn crazy to get away with. Well, now is the time to do it.

boont

Best of luck....sounds like "cardude's excellent adventure".......:)

Everyone I know who visits Costa Rica raves about it.......:)

I guess I look at this time of retirement as the chance to do what I always wanted to do when I was in my twenties.

I'm about 53 days away from ER. Thought exact thing while getting ready to trudge to work. In less than 2 months, I finally will get to "live life" - always putting off life for education, career, savings, retirement.

Cardude, in many ways our circumstances are similar, and as such, this thread has helped me. You and I are near the same age, kids of similar ages, wife with PT gig, and I own a good business and the building/land that it's on. I've been approached by people wanting to purchase previously, but have never quite had the right deal.

Well, here we go again. A couple of weeks ago another person contacted me. We've had preliminary meetings, and I guess we'll see where it goes. The world is full of tire kickers, so I don't get too wound up but eventually someone will come up with the right deal.

If I sell, I'm not so much scared of being in any kind of trouble financially if it goes ahead (thanks Firecalc), rather my biggest fear is a mirror image of what you've described. Moving from being the "pivot man" in the organization to "stay at home and clean the place guy" would be really weird. I'm not sure how I'd handle it or what I'd do to keep occupied. I know that my first instinct would be to start another business, and that probably wouldn't be the best idea. Like Nords said, sort of a hollow victory even if it turns out to be a winner.

I'd appreciate if you'd keep us updated on your adventure in CR and especially on your progress in adapting to ER.

BTW, my family and I went on a cruise this past winter that stopped in CR. Easily the most beautiful stop. I still want to one day go see the Arenal area. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom