Headphone Wires

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just successfully repaired two sets of headphones which were of reasonable quality, but which had loose connections/wires -- the small pleasures in life are the best (I didn't want to take my big headphones on an upcoming trip).

Anyway, I've noticed that the insulation on these small wires seems to be painted on. I concluded that the paint is designed to dissolve under the heat of the soldering iron. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Attachments

• Headphone.jpg
    Headphone.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 5
Al,

It has been my experience that that the combination of the heat and the solder flux (built into most over the counter solder) creates a fine connection. I have also assumed that the conductor coloring disolves with the heat. These days I rarely break out the old solder tools but they sure come in handy when you need them.

Anyway, I've noticed that the insulation on these small wires seems to be painted on. I concluded that the paint is designed to dissolve under the heat of the soldering iron. Is that how it is supposed to work?

I gently scrape the insulating coating away with an Exacto knife before soldering. Then, for the type of connection you made, would solder with a 25w or 40w iron and a fine diamenter 60/40 rosin core solder.

The insulation on your wires must have disolved as your connections look fine. Nice and shiny.

Be sure to provide some strain relief when you reassemble.

Back
Top Bottom