Headset/headphones for air travel

I never leave home without my Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones. I usually take at least one additional set of noise cancelling earbuds with me as well. I inadvertently made a cool discovery on my last long haul to Africa. I had misplaced the cord for the over ear 35's and wanted to watch a movie but I also had my QuietComfort 20's with me so I put the earbuds in to listen to the movie and put the 35's over them. When the movie was over, I learned that wearing both sets, turned on... absolute dead silence! Better than the 35's alone and of course much better than the 20's. This is my plan in the future if any little ones are seated nearby!

I've always wondered, with noise cancelling headphones, since they generate a wave of noise to compensate for the trough of a sound, one is getting a constant pressure wave.

Does this have any bad effect on the ear even though a person won't hear it, or is it the actual wave shape (on & off) of loud sound that hurts the ear ?

From the article:

Typically, the more effective the noise-cancelling circuitry is in a pair of over-ear headphones, the more eardrum suck it produces. Bose’s tremendous sales of noise-cancelling headphones show that this phenomenon doesn’t bother some people but it bothers us to the point where we won’t use over-ear headphones with ultrapowerful noise cancelling—such as the Bose QuietComfort 35 Series II or the Sony WH-1000XM3—because they hurt our ears too much. Co-workers and readers have reported experiencing similar discomfort. If you’d like to know more about “eardrum suck” and why it may occur, you can check out Brent’s article on the subject.

From the article:

Typically, the more effective the noise-cancelling circuitry is in a pair of over-ear headphones, the more eardrum suck it produces. Bose’s tremendous sales of noise-cancelling headphones show that this phenomenon doesn’t bother some people but it bothers us to the point where we won’t use over-ear headphones with ultrapowerful noise cancelling—such as the Bose QuietComfort 35 Series II or the Sony WH-1000XM3—because they hurt our ears too much. Co-workers and readers have reported experiencing similar discomfort. If you’d like to know more about “eardrum suck” and why it may occur, you can check out Brent’s article on the subject.

Thanks for posting this excerpt, Jerry.

I visited a Bose store a few weeks ago, and checked out their offerings. The Quiet Comfort 35 Series II looked interesting.

My next flying trip is two 4-hour flights (= 8-hrs. round-trip) in early July. The salesman at Bose suggested I order these just before my trip, as they have a 30-day return policy. So I can "buy 'em and try 'em"....and return 'em if I don't like 'em. :LOL:

I'll definitely be looking to see if I experience this discomfort. (Hope not.)

omni

FWIW these are the top rated noise canceling headphones on Wirecutter at the moment...

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/

Thanks, WestUniversity.

As I should have extra room in my carry-on bag, I will also get the highly-rated Sony H.ear On 2 WH-H900N ($170 from Costco) and take them on my upcoming flights in July, so I can evaluate them side-by-side with the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 Series II ($350 from Bose).

Sounds like a plan.

omni

Last edited:
I just use a quality ear bud when traveling. And even they have a way of disappearing around my house--grandkids. I'm not about to leave anything Bose around here.

I was a broadcast and recording engineer as undergraduate and graduate school. Now commercial/instrument rated pilot. Probably 500K miles on commercial airlines, too. I have worn a lot of headsets. Things learned:
Over-ear cups don't seal well unless the clamping force is very high = uncomfortable. ANR over-ear headsets compromise this by reduced clamping force and counting on the ANR to bail them out.

ANR works best at low frequencies -- below the range of speech. This works fairly well in light piston airplanes because the engine puts a lot of low-frequencies into the cockpit. ANR sets do do very little in the higher speech/music frequencies.

Bose is a fantastically successful marketing company. They could slap the brand name on ordinary laundry soap and successfully sell it at double the average laundry soap price.

In-ear headsets have the highest performance, weight almost nothing, and take essentially no space for storage. Some people, however, say that they cannot stand to have "something in my ears." So, YMMV
Here is the headset I wear: https://www.clarityaloft.com/products/the-classic-aviation-headset It is fantastic. The "Comply" foam tips seal out sound, beating the ANR systems. The transmissions from Air Traffic Control are the clearest of any headset I have tried.

When flying commercial I listen to my cell phone music using a "music" headset made by the same hearing aid company that makes the Comply tips. The sealing is so good that I don't hear cabin announcements and can't have a conversation with a flight attendant without pulling the tip out of one ear. (My wife taps me on the shoulder if the PA announcement is saying something important.) Unfortunately these music headsets are no longer available.

The Comply tips, however are now being marketed to independent headset makers. Look here: https://www.complyfoam.com/professional-products/ and https://www.complyfoam.com/products/t-series/#

@omni550, I would suggest that you sleuth out and buy some earphones that are compatible with the Comply tips, ideally the professional model tips, and buy them. IMO this is the best solution, assuming you are not one of the people who cannot use in-ear and is thus doomed to the head-clampers.

I am concerned, though, about buying ones that are too big and bulky, as I'm not planning on using them at any other time than when flying. (Space and weight are so critical these days when traveling.)

Sony MDR1000x is what I use. Bought em to block out my annoying co-workers that cough at me all day. Works well for them, and the airplane. Super comfy. Are they BULKY:confused: Yes, but most decent noise cancelling are.

I have a separate brand for the Shooting Range (they can pipe in music while I unload)...but are highly rated for noise cancel. (Not as bulky)

And a third pair for mowing my lawn *cheapiest pair of Noise cancel I could find I think they were like $13. These pair are really tight and not as soft ear padding, but I kinda like that...and a lot of times i have a hat on or put those over a hooded sweatshirt with sunglasses (total nerd when I mow).

Aaaand...then I have some non-noise cancelling wrap around ear-buds I use when working out. These hurt my ears if I wear a bike helmet over them, or if I wear them a long time. Like it hurts the inside of my ears from discomfort but only when I go on like a 2hr run or bike ride.

IF I am ever staying with family, or friends I ALWAYS bring my noise cancelling headphones. I've had to use them to get to sleep when other's were snoring ridiculously loud.

I was a broadcast and recording engineer as undergraduate and graduate school. Now commercial/instrument rated pilot. Probably 500K miles on commercial airlines, too. I have worn a lot of headsets. Things learned:
Over-ear cups don't seal well unless the clamping force is very high = uncomfortable. ANR over-ear headsets compromise this by reduced clamping force and counting on the ANR to bail them out.

ANR works best at low frequencies -- below the range of speech. This works fairly well in light piston airplanes because the engine puts a lot of low-frequencies into the cockpit. ANR sets do do very little in the higher speech/music frequencies.

Bose is a fantastically successful marketing company. They could slap the brand name on ordinary laundry soap and successfully sell it at double the average laundry soap price.

In-ear headsets have the highest performance, weight almost nothing, and take essentially no space for storage. Some people, however, say that they cannot stand to have "something in my ears." So, YMMV
Here is the headset I wear: https://www.clarityaloft.com/products/the-classic-aviation-headset It is fantastic. The "Comply" foam tips seal out sound, beating the ANR systems. The transmissions from Air Traffic Control are the clearest of any headset I have tried.

When flying commercial I listen to my cell phone music using a "music" headset made by the same hearing aid company that makes the Comply tips. The sealing is so good that I don't hear cabin announcements and can't have a conversation with a flight attendant without pulling the tip out of one ear. (My wife taps me on the shoulder if the PA announcement is saying something important.) Unfortunately these music headsets are no longer available.

The Comply tips, however are now being marketed to independent headset makers. Look here: https://www.complyfoam.com/professional-products/ and https://www.complyfoam.com/products/t-series/#

@omni550, I would suggest that you sleuth out and buy some earphones that are compatible with the Comply tips, ideally the professional model tips, and buy them. IMO this is the best solution, assuming you are not one of the people who cannot use in-ear and is thus doomed to the head-clampers.

Thanks, OldShooter, for this informative post.

I'm not a "brand fan". Bose or non-Bose means nothing to me. It's the comfort and performance that matter... with minimal weight and storage as criteria as well.

It's unfortunate that Comply discontinued their music headsets, as your rousing endorsement certainly pricked-up my ears. [pun intended]

I border on being one of those people who cannot stand things in my ears. So there's that hurdle. And I also have a large head which often makes 'clamping'-type things (hats, headbands, headphones, etc.) uncomfortable to wear.

Your suggestion to sleuth out earphones compatible with Comply tips is a good one. Hmmmm. Not sure where to start. Perhaps by contacting Comply customer service and working backwards?

I now recall buying some ~$150 earphones to listen to an iPod a while back, used them once. Now wondering where they ended-up, and wondering if they might fit the Comply tips.

omni

Aaaand...then I have some non-noise cancelling wrap around ear-buds I use when working out. These hurt my ears if I wear a bike helmet over them, or if I wear them a long time. Like it hurts the inside of my ears from discomfort but only when I go on like a 2hr run or bike ride.
Ah, so you're the kind of runner who I call out to that I'm passing 4 times without acknowledgement, then jumps out of their skin and screams when I do pass. Yes, this has happened, more than once. A friend of mine told me they had to tap someone on the shoulder to get by on a single track trail, and that one jumped too. Very annoying to have to do that, and I worry that someday I'm going to get blasted with mace too.

I wear headphones when I run too, but not noise-cancelling, and not blasting. I like to be aware of my surroundings--seems so much safer to not take away one of your senses that tells you what cars, people, and animals are around. You're going to do whatever you want to do, but I hope others considering buying headphones for walking, running, or biking don't buy noise-canceling.

I use my in-ear phones.

Just flew business class on Thursday. They give you active noise cancellation for their in-flight entertainment system.

But they're over the ears and while they're okay to wear for awhile sitting up, if you try to sleep on your side and want to keep it on to block out cabin noise, you can't do it.

I don't even try to find the optimal earbuds for my in-ear. It cuts out enough noise on their own and if I play something, then the cabin noise doesn't bother me.

Back
Top Bottom