Health Care Hotline Scam

scrabbler1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Have any of you been getting those endless annoying scam robocalls from "Ann from Health Care Hotline" lately? About a month ago, I was getting a lot of those calls from various phone numbers all over the country (Ann gets around LOL). But just today and last Friday, I have gotten 12 calls on my land line, all from 8 different numbers starting with 201-205-xxxx which is Jersey City, New Jersey. Most calls have been blocked by nomorobo but a few have gotten through, just like those from a month ago. At least they aren't calling my on my primitive cell phone which lacks call-blocking measures.

Yes, I have been getting 10 to 12 of these calls a day on my cell phone. I don't have a land line and this is very annoying. I do block every number that makes these calls but they just roll over to another number. I hate that they now give our cell phone number to everyone it seems. I am on the do not call list. Seems that doesn't work anymore.

Very frustrating.

spam calls now are more likely to have the first 6 numbers matching to the number they are calling ... I only pick up calls that my phone address book recognizes.

Sometimes when I’m free, I do answer and try to sell the caller some fictitious supplements.

What makes this a scam instead of just more obnoxious telemarketing and robocalls?

One thing scamdalous is the deceptive phone number. Everything after, is just part of the whole.

Just since my original post, 4 more calls from 3 different numbers. all except one blocked by nomorobo, as the first of 2 calls from one number got through. This is getting annoying even though most get blocked.

I get those spoofed neighbor calls on the cell phone. I have gotten calls from about 40 different numbers with the same area code+exchange in the last 2 years.

From my quick research on this Ann from Health Care Hotline, they are trying to get personal info for unscrupulous purposes.

Last edited:
spam calls now are more likely to have the first 6 numbers matching to the number they are calling ... I only pick up calls that my phone address book recognizes.

Sometimes when I’m free, I do answer and try to sell the caller some fictitious supplements.

Similar here. I only allow calls from a list which I approve. Seems like many of the spammers use the first 6 numbers trick these days.

This is why I have been using Google Voice for the last 9 years. I've hardly given out my home or cell number since then, even to people I know and like. I put their number in my Google Contacts and set it to ring through to my home and cell phones...if I like them. ;) Any number not in my Contacts goes straight to voice mail. When I was expecting an important call, like when I was waiting to hear back about a job interview or when my dad was having surgery, I set all calls to ring through for a day here and there, and then I went back to screening any unknown numbers.

If you haven't used it, I get texts and emails with transcriptions of my voicemails, so even if it's an important call I can call back in just a minute or two. I highly recommend using a virtual number like with Google Voice.

Could be, but we no longer answer our landline. It's connected only to support the alarm system and 911 calls.

Ugh, two more calls from a new Jersey City number this morning. Both blocked by nomorobo, thankfully. I was out when the first one came in, the second one didn't interrupt my breakfast thanks to nomorobo.

Will Ann ever leave me alone?:facepalm:

I'm not sure if it is Ann, but the calls I get start out like: "Hi, there have been recent changes in your health plan. Let's talk about it..."

I hang up on these. I have to say, I do a double take because there ARE recent changes in most plans. It is a HOT topic. And in my case, I am changing health plans right now. I could see how an unscrupulous operator could really scam someone out of information.

I add hiya to my android cell. That has blocked most of the issue.

I got my first couple of Ann calls yesterday. I guess she's really got a crush on me. I'm going to play hard to get.

I guess they needed a new scam. "Heather" and "Rachel" were probably running out of suckers who hadn't heard of their scheme yet.

There's another interesting trend; the extended auto warranty calls now start with "we've been trying to reach you about your car warranty..." Funny they don't even know I drive a truck, not a car. And I there is no "my warranty" since I don't have one. But apparently this wording keeps more suckers on the line. Clever.

I have to take a lot of "real" calls from unknown numbers, and often they are time-sensitive so I can't just let them all go to voice mail, or block them. So I've gotten to know Heather, Rachel and now Ann pretty well. In a strange way, it's satisfying to be in the know on all the latest trends in scamming. If nothing else I can go on web forums and pontificate about them ;)

I got my first couple of Ann calls yesterday. I guess she's really got a crush on me. I'm going to play hard to get.

I guess they needed a new scam. "Heather" and "Rachel" were probably running out of suckers who hadn't heard of their scheme yet.

There's another interesting trend; the extended auto warranty calls now start with "we've been trying to reach you about your car warranty..." Funny they don't even know I drive a truck, not a car. And I there is no "my warranty" since I don't have one. But apparently this wording keeps more suckers on the line. Clever.

I have to take a lot of "real" calls from unknown numbers, and often they are time-sensitive so I can't just let them all go to voice mail, or block them. So I've gotten to know Heather, Rachel and now Ann pretty well. In a strange way, it's satisfying to be in the know on all the latest trends in scamming. If nothing else I can go on web forums and pontificate about them ;)

I get letters about car warranty offers. They don't identify the year, make, or model of my car, just some scare BS about how certain repairs could cost me a fortune and how they can help me avoid that. Other letters I get are from the car dealership I bought my car from (back in 2007) offering to buy back y car or accept it as a trade-in for a new car, claiming that my car is in "hot demand" and how they can give me such a "great deal."

Back
Top Bottom