Healthcare.gov -Anyone enrolled with subsidy yet?

Prior to this last run at the exchange, I had tried numerous times just to have the system fail. What surprised me this time was how fast and easy I was able to enter my information and get approval. For me the 3:30-4:00am worked great. The interesting part was when you go to the exchange at that time there is a post stating; "The Health Insurance Marketplace online application isn't available from approximately 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. EST daily while we make improvements".

I'm glad it worked for you finally. I wasn't kidding - if I actually had to apply, I would do it in the wee hours of the morning when most people are asleep! At my j*b our IT folks post a similar message that the site is down (3am - 5 am) just to cover themselves in the event they have to work on the system. It appears that slowly but surely the government website is getting straightened out, thank goodness.

I retired last year and my wife retired in June of this year. Our combined income is a forth of what it was working. I signed on last night and it accepted my estimates for 2014 without any verification. Everything went smooth as glass but then again it was 4:00am. It is a very good website format when it works.

I have read that only a 'statistically significant' number of those with income not matching IRS records will be verified. So just because your finances have changed significantly doesn't mean that your estimate will be verified.

Below is a source reference and quote.

HHS Scales Back ACA's Health Insurance Income Verification Process - California Healthline

Final Rule Details
Under the final regulation, federally operated exchanges still will verify such information beginning in 2014, but states operating their own exchanges can wait until 2015 to do so (Morgan, Reuters, 7/7). In addition, exchanges will only have to audit a statistically significant sample of applicants whose self-reported income differs from federal records, as opposed to reviewing all such cases. For applicants not included in the sample, "the Exchange may accept the attestation of projected annual household income without further verification," the rule states.
Individuals caught falsifying their income or insurance status on the exchange applications can face up to a $25,000 fine. Individuals who misrepresented their incomes would also have to pay back any ill-gotten subsidies via their tax returns (Kliff/Somashekhar, Washington Post, 7/5).

I have read that only a 'statistically significant' number of those with income not matching IRS records will be verified. So just because your finances have changed significantly doesn't mean that your estimate will be verified.

Below is a source reference and quote.

HHS Scales Back ACA's Health Insurance Income Verification Process - California Healthline

Final Rule Details
Under the final regulation, federally operated exchanges still will verify such information beginning in 2014, but states operating their own exchanges can wait until 2015 to do so (Morgan, Reuters, 7/7). In addition, exchanges will only have to audit a statistically significant sample of applicants whose self-reported income differs from federal records, as opposed to reviewing all such cases. For applicants not included in the sample, "the Exchange may accept the attestation of projected annual household income without further verification," the rule states.
Individuals caught falsifying their income or insurance status on the exchange applications can face up to a $25,000 fine. Individuals who misrepresented their incomes would also have to pay back any ill-gotten subsidies via their tax returns (Kliff/Somashekhar, Washington Post, 7/5).

Everyone's income is verified and crossed checked every year if you realize it or not by IRS. Earned income has FICA and federal tax withholding verified in the month paid. Quarterly estimated taxes are verified. Pensions are usually fixed and easy to compute. Historical expenses used as an indicator but verified after the fact. No problem here with the govt. verification of my income. Govt. has verified my income every year for the past 50 years. Nothing new here.

Back
Top Bottom