Healthy? Insurers don't buy it

Martha said:
I don't know if a conversion policy would be available if you move from your insurance company's service area. Also, the insurance company may not be required to offer a conversion policy, it depends on the state law of the state where you obtained the insurance. For example, if your employer is partially self insured and only buys stop loss insurance, it may not have to offer a conversion policy. So be sure to check to see if you can get a conversion policy. I also don't know if the 200% limit would apply if you were insured in one state and then moved to Florida.

Note that the conversion policy may not offer as good coverage as your original policy so be sure to check the offerings and most importantly, the maximum out of pocket.

I just found some more info on FL Guaranteed issue policies. The implication is that a few companies offer guaranteed issue policies if you are HIPAA eligible and they are not necessarily convesion policies. I.e, when your COBRA runs out, you could get a policy from more than one carrier and they couldn't do any exclusions. I plan to call the FL consumer helpline next week to get more info. In any event, I plan to be living in FL before COBRA runs out. Megacorp calls that a significant life change or something along that line and will allow me to continue COBRA in a new state. I'll report back here with what I find.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom