Heated blanket/throw usage

teetee

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am new to the electric blanket products. Recently got one of those from a relative:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09YRJTMDT

I am thinking to put it under my flat bed sheet this winter. There is no safety warning about using it this way in the two page user manual that came with the product. The only warning is not to get the power cord sandwiched between the mattress and the box spring or get it pinched by the bed metal frame, both make sense.

I can feel the wires (assuming they are the heating elements) in the throw when I touch it. They feel awfully thin.

I weigh about 200lb and want to check with any of you who had experience with the similar product and see if I am in the process of doing something stupid that can kill myself. I often have trouble falling into sleep if I am layered up or if there is too much sheets on top of me. Figured if the heat comes from under me, it will help with my sleep.

Try a search, but pretty sure you are not supposed to sleep on top of them. It has a 4 hour shutoff though.

For a while, DW and I would put an electric blanket under the covers, and turn it on an hour before bedtime. Then we'd remove it - just warming the bed to get that initial chill off was enough for us.

-ERD50

I am new to the electric blanket products. Recently got one of those from a relative:

I am thinking to put it under my flat bed sheet this winter. There is no safety warning about using it this way in the two page user manual that came with the product. The only warning is not to get the power cord sandwiched between the mattress and the box spring or get it pinched by the bed metal frame, both make sense.

I can feel the wires (assuming they are the heating elements) in the throw when I touch it. They feel awfully thin.

I weigh about 200lb and want to check with any of you who had experience with the similar product and see if I am in the process of doing something stupid that can kill myself. I often have trouble falling into sleep if I am layered up or if there is too much sheets on top of me. Figured if the heat comes from under me, it will help with my sleep.

Don't put it under you. Pressure against a wire tends to make it heat up. It would not be comfortable. Plus, the wires can be broken. A best practice is to not sit or lay on top of the heated blanket when its on the bed, because you will eventually break the wire. Also be gentle in the way you fold it up for off season storage. The blanket will provide warmth even though its above you.

OK thanks for stopping me from doing it wrong.

i wouldn't do that simply because the throw is not intended for that use. but....i highly recommend a heated mattress pad. you'll love it! :dance::dance:

FWIW, we've used a heated throw exactly as you describe (except under our for sheet) for the last 2 winters. It's lovely. Mostly, we use it to pre-warm our bed, and as we lay down to bed. I normally end up shutting it off after a little while, but as stated, it does auto shutoff after a few hours. Zero problems, zero concerns.

Fill a couple of plastic 1.75 L booze bottles with hot tap water and shove it under the covers an hour or two before bed.

We have flannel sheets and they are very warm feeling for winter.

We like putting a light blanket or throw in the clothes dryer for a couple minutes. Nice and warm!

Thought about a heated blanket for our mountain cabin but found a set of fleece sheets on sale from Eddie Bauer. These warm up very quickly when you get in bed and keep us warm nicely all night.

You want to buy a heated mattress pad instead, e.g.:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bedsure-Heated-Mattress-Pad-Queen/dp/B091CQQ2PH/

No, you won't feel any wires with the above.

Another vote/user of the mattress pad. Usually just turn it on before bed to warm things up and then turn it off when I get in bed. Though there have been times when I left it on low for the night. Nice during the winter as we turn the thermostat down at night. Also, ours has two zones so me and DW can control our side of the bed separately.

DxW and I had a heated mattress pad 40 years ago. We also turned it off as we got into bed, otherwise it was too hot.

I recall another solution from a Donald Duck comic book of even earlier times: hire your kids (or nephews) to preheat the bed for you.

+1 for a heated mattress pad. Turn it in a couple of hours before bed and then turn it off when we get into bed. Wonderful-best birthday gift I ever gave my wife.

a + would be in the heated mattress pad has a shut-off timer.

Ours has an option to shut off, but no timer. More about making sure it doesn’t stay on all day. A timer would be good. You could hook it up to a smart outlet, but I don’t like using those for heat producing items. Not sure how much power the mattress pad draws.

Ours has an option to shut off, but no timer. More about making sure it doesn’t stay on all day. A timer would be good. You could hook it up to a smart outlet, but I don’t like using those for heat producing items. Not sure how much power the mattress pad draws.

IIRC, when I measured our Sunbeam queen size pad it drew 40-85W per side...individual controls for each side.

I could leave it on low on my side all night w/o overheating...myself or the pad.

Back
Top Bottom