Heathrow to Central London Transfer: Uber or Taxi?

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For most private transfers I've seen, you have to estimate the time it takes for you to get through customs although some will at least monitor your flight arrival and most have some flexibility as to how long they wait before you become a no-show. When we flew into Heathrow in 2018, we were very early (tailwind I guess) and we ended up waiting over an hour before our driver got there. With all that uncertainty, I'm wondering if it would be better to go with Uber or even a Black Cab instead since you don't have to guess in advance, you just arrange Uber or go to the taxi stand when you are ready. The Gett app looks promising for a Black Cab -anyone use it?

Our last visit to Heathrow we had a prepaid private car. But we came to the conclusion that the price would've been about the same had we taken a taxi. FWIW

I always use Heathrow Express that takes you right to Paddington very quickly.

Agree with Heathrow Express. Runs frequently too.

If I’m not in a hurry and want to save money, I take the London Underground.

Agree with Heathrow Express. Runs frequently too.

If I’m not in a hurry and want to save money, I take the London Underground.
Agree with everyone on Heathrow Express. Can book online and often get decent discounts. Anytime not getting picked up by family and going into the hinterland this is what I/we do. A couple times when I was just more or less sightseeing I have taken The Underground. Honestly, I can't imagine taking a car to central London when I could take the train.

We will be using Blackberry Cars later this summer.

We also used Blackberry on our last trip after seeing so many good reviews. Getting off a flight with a driver holding a sign with your name on it, ready to go is well worth the extra money.

To me it's not worth the hassle of learning the Underground system the second you get off a flight. Save that for after checking into your hotel. In many European cities I have no issue with jumping on public transportation but London is a little more confusing. Paris is another one.

Agree with everyone on Heathrow Express. Can book online and often get decent discounts. Anytime not getting picked up by family and going into the hinterland this is what I/we do. A couple times when I was just more or less sightseeing I have taken The Underground. Honestly, I can't imagine taking a car to central London when I could take the train.

+many. Agree that the Heathrow Express train to Paddington is the way to go. No need to pre-reserve, It is easy to get tickets whenever you land and clear customs. The last time that I arrived, there were agents selling tickets as you walked to the trains to minimize lineups. Very convenient and fast.

We have only ever done train/tube.

But..we are carry on only so it off the plane, get our oyster card, and take the tube to Kensington where we normally stay.

Works for us.

Update: We were tired getting into Heathrow so took the easiest and most direct way to our hotel: a black cab. Got one just steps outside our arrival terminal after no more than a few minutes wait. BTD? Yes but with two of us and needing some kind of ride between Paddington and our hotel not that much of a BTD: ~£82. For the return, we opted for UberXL which gave us plenty of room for a few £s less.

We have a 10.5 hr flight to Heathrow. So our plan is to check into a nice hotel at the airport. Get some sleep then the next morning take the Express into London. It looks like hotels at the airport are priced very reasonably.

That's a great idea I never thought about.. :flowers:

Just make sure your airport hotel has a shuttle. If you get a cab the driver will be really mad and grouchy because they had to wait in the cab line and didn't get the 82GBP fare to downtown. Been there, done that.

But Heathrow Express is very fast. No real reason to wait until the next morning and deal with dropping bags at your hotel before check-in time.

We have only ever done train/tube.

But..we are carry on only so it off the plane, get our oyster card, and take the tube to Kensington where we normally stay.

Works for us.

Ditto, I have checked luggage but have taken the Piccadilly line to Gloucester Road, stay near there, don’t have to change to get to the airport.

Takes about an hour.

But Paddington area is suppose to be nice as well.

+1 for the Heathrow Express to get into London.

However, the last time we went to London, to get around, we took the buses instead of the tube. It was more enjoyable to us to be on the surface, seeing things, then traveling underneath them. The tube stations are enjoyable the first couple time you ride the tube, but their crampiness and stuffiness loose their appeal quickly, especially on a warm day.

On further thought, for our purposes on this trip we might just take the Heathrow Express and stay at a Paddington Station hotel.

Wow, I just noticed that Paddington Station is quite close to the massive Kensington Gardens.

Wow, I just noticed that Paddington Station is quite close to the massive Kensington Gardens.

Rome2rio shows it being a 44 min subway ride. So that would be a nice idea for the day after our long flight. I think we were there in 1972.

Also an easy walk to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.

Last edited:
We took the black cab from Heathrow to The Rubens Hotel near Buckingham Palace. Then we tubed everywhere. I didn't like the Tube maps. So I made my own for the Tube lines/stations near the attractions we wanted to go to. Made travel easier.

Attachments

• london.jpg
    london.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 19
I think there are several apps that will do the job.

For general travel apps I use Rome2rio.

Back
Top Bottom