Hello! 59 year old RN ~ widowed at 50 ~ retired at 58

Yes, you do eventually get it back. But if you are working to pay bills, then having the SS taken away (even temporarily) sort of defeats the purpose of working :)

Not working to pay bills...but enjoy the mental stimulation [emoji4]

Unless you're enjoying your job or/and wouldn't know what to do with yourself if not working, you're more than all set. Your DH had great benefits which helps you a lot.

Perhaps you should start making a list of what you wish to do once you quit your work.

Welcome to the forum.

You sound like you are in a very secure financial position, your condo is about double the size of our house.

For your SS, there is a lot of misinformation out there, including from SS workers.
My plan when I need to decide this stuff is to pay at: https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/ to get the answer (or at least be able to question and confirm with SS for better options).

You may want to do this as well, since a SS mistake can cost thousands of dollars in missed benefits.

There is some other company that does this as well, both were mentioned in money magazine, but I don't recall the other company name.

Welcome to the forum.

You sound like you are in a very secure financial position, your condo is about double the size of our house.

For your SS, there is a lot of misinformation out there, including from SS workers.
My plan when I need to decide this stuff is to pay at: https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/ to get the answer (or at least be able to question and confirm with SS for better options).

You may want to do this as well, since a SS mistake can cost thousands of dollars in missed benefits.

There is some other company that does this as well, both were mentioned in money magazine, but I don't recall the other company name.
I think it's Social security solutions in Leawood KS.

https://www.socialsecuritysolutions.com/aboutus.php

Unless you're enjoying your job or/and wouldn't know what to do with yourself if not working, you're more than all set. Your DH had great benefits which helps you a lot.

Perhaps you should start making a list of what you wish to do once you quit your work.

Hi Aida! I just passed the one year anniversary of my retirement and find I am busier now than when I was working! :LOL:

I waited to retire until my sons graduated from college and had established their careers, and as I was waiting for this to happen, I did make plans as to what I wanted to do. Two main goals was helping my youngest son build his home and spending more time with my 82 yr old mother.

My son had always wanted to build his home with his dad and grandfather. Unfortunately they couldn't be there but I knew I could. It was the best experience of my life and I believe they were watching over us as we tackled this project (probably shaking their heads and laughing at us!) but we did it!

My mom is a healthy, active 82 yrs young and I want to spend this time with her. She has more places she wants to visit and I plan to share these experiences with her. Another decision I will never regret!

Yes, my DH had some great benefits that we always planned to enjoy together. Unfortunately life happens as we are making plans. Never waste one day of this beautiful life!

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Hi Aida! I just passed the one year anniversary of my retirement and find I am busier now than when I was working! :LOL:

I waited to retire until my sons graduated from college and had established their careers, and as I was waiting for this to happen, I did make plans as to what I wanted to do. Two main goals was helping my youngest son build his home and spending more time with my 82 yr old mother.

My son had always wanted to build his home with his dad and grandfather. Unfortunately they couldn't be there but I knew I could. It was the best experience of my life and I believe they were watching over us as we tackled this project (probably shaking their heads and laughing at us!) but we did it!

My mom is a healthy, active 82 yrs young and I want to spend this time with her. She has more places she wants to visit and I plan to share these experiences with her. Another decision I will never regret!

Yes, my DH had some great benefits that we always planned to enjoy together. Unfortunately life happens as we are making plans. Never waste one day of this beautiful life!

Thanks for the input!

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your retirement! Especially being able to spend time with your mother while she's still in good health and can travel, etc... I don't think many retirees have that opportunity :)

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your retirement! Especially being able to spend time with your mother while she's still in good health and can travel, etc... I don't think many retirees have that opportunity :)

Thanks, MisterMike40! Yes, very fortunate to be able to spend this time with my mom.

Back
Top Bottom