Help getting from San Diego to LA

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
We are planning a spring trip with our preteen granddaughter. Will fly into San Diego, and after a few days make our way to Union station in LA. We are not sure about driving in a city as large as LA and do not want to get lost in the wrong neighborhood. (San Diego is mostly airport and zoo, so we can handle that)

Can anyone suggest a reputable and safe company to get from San Diego to LA?

Also, any suggestions for a hotel very close to Union station, preferably with shuttle service?

A storm washed out the train tracks in San Clemente, and Amtrak has been running a bus bridge between Oceanside and Irvine with a reduced schedule. I think they're currently expecting tracks to be fixed by February, but that's already been delayed twice, so I wouldn't count on that. As long as the tracks are out, luggage handling is limited, so if you can't carry all your own stuff, the train might not be a good option.

Usually the cheapest way to get from here to L.A. when there's more than one traveler is to do a one-way car rental and just drop the car off there. That's what we do for flights and cruises. It's not at all hard to drive to downtown L.A, and you really don't have to worry about getting lost if you do it in the daytime. Also, if you pick a hotel that has a car rental on site or nearby, you can just drive there, drop off the car, then get an uber or taxi when you want to go back to the station.

I personally like staying at the Omni Hotel downtown. It's about a 10 minute car ride from Union Station, and it's in walking distance to Angels Flight, Grand Central Market, the Disney Concert Hall, the Bradbury Building, the library, the Last Bookstore, etc. You could easily fill a couple of days there if you have that much time.

If you want something really iconic, it's only about 3 blocks further to the Westin Bonaventure. Or if you want to be closer to Union Station, there's a Doubletree in the Little Tokyo area just south of the station.

Any particular reason you want to be at Union Station? It's a place I would avoid unless you plan to take a train from there. There are a lot of crazy homeless people in and around the station nowadays. Santa Monica or West Los Angeles is a better place to stay. I would avoid the downtown area except around the Nokia Center.

Last edited:
Any particular reason you want to be at Union Station? It's a place I would avoid unless you plan to take a train from there. There are a lot of crazy homeless people in and around the station nowadays. Santa Monica or West Los Angeles is a better place to stay. I would avoid the downtown area except around the Nokia Center.

Agree 100%. Definitely would not stay anywhere near Union Station. South Bay - Redondo, Hermosa, or Manhattan Beach would be my choice. One advantage of renting a car is you could make some stops on the way up - Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach would be some nice stops.

We are taking a train out the following morning which is why we are targeting that area.
ALL of the information from each of you is appreciated and helpful. We'll look for someplace to stay away from the station and take cab or something to the station in the morning.

I agree with the others, you might want to stay someplace else and take the Metrolink in to catch your connection. If it was me I'd stop in Anaheim in Orange County, and visit Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm or any of the beaches on route to Los Angeles. Driving is also a nightmare, you might want to consider taking the Metrolink into Union Station on the morning of your departure. On the weekends, it's only $10 a day system wide and under age 17 are free. If any interest, here is the schedule and station information.
https://metrolinktrains.com/

Back
Top Bottom