Booking and reservations, oh my

AZflowers

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello friends. No experience at all. I want to book air flights and hotel rooms for my 2 grandsons who will be attending my granddaughter's graduation in Raleigh, NC. One grandson will leave from San Diego, Ca and the other from Riverside, Ca (actually Ontario airport). I will need to book the flights so they will arrive near the same as they will share a rental car (which also needs booking). My question mainly is should I make these reservations individually myself online or should I use an online agent and if so which do you suggest? Many thanks.

Anne

Hello friends. No experience at all. I want to book air flights and hotel rooms for my 2 grandsons who will be attending my granddaughter's graduation in Raleigh, NC. One grandson will leave from San Diego, Ca and the other from Riverside, Ca (actually Ontario airport). I will need to book the flights so they will arrive near the same as they will share a rental car (which also needs booking). My question mainly is should I make these reservations individually myself online or should I use an online agent and if so which do you suggest? Many thanks.

Anne

Let your grandsons coordinate their schedule and book their own flights so they arrive in Raleigh at around the same time and have them book a rental car and hotel room to share. All this can easily be done on-line by young people nowadays.

If you're paying for it all, just have them give you the total amount and you can reimburse them. Or if you have a fixed budget in mind, let them know so they stay within the budget and you can give them the money upfront or later.

Definitely no need for a travel agent to book flights, rental car and hotel domestically.

Last edited:
It is better if the person checking in for the service is the same as the person paying. Also, I think you still have to be 25 years old to rent a car.

SW airlines flies out of Ontario (and San Diego) and into Raleigh. 1 or 2 stops. You can also book a rental car and hotel on the SW website. But, I agree with DrRoy. Have them book it themselves. Ontario and San Diego aren't that far apart. Why doesn't one drive to where the other one is and they fly together. I used to live in San Diego suburb and would sometimes fly out of Ontario. Just up the 15 in Riverside.

If there are any problems on trip - delayed flight, etc - it’s much easier and faster for the paying card carrying person to handle it in person at airport, etc

Also - rental car - will expect info on actual drivers (even prepaid). They will run some kind of check on driver(s) - depending on which rental agency. Some will require credit card, others will allow debit with additional documentation (like airline tickets and/or recent bill statements)

On age for rental - check with actual rental car place. There are some that will rent at age 20, etc. (enterprise charges $25/day, hertz wants more documentation, etc). Let them make rental reservation and they can find out what they will need

Ah, words from the very wise. Thank you all. I'm so used to being a Grannie, trying to do everything for their convenience, but this is a situation where their awareness and skills are a major factor. So I'll take your advice, check the approximate cost for flights and auto and rooms and send each a check.
Again, thank you.

When I was 20, in 1979, I had to book my own trip for medical school interviews. Flying a three-way trip, from SFO to Boston,then Chicago, then back to SFO.

It was a huge confidence builder. Back then there was no internet but UC Berkeley had a travel service desk in the student union.

I would also advise them not to book through a discount travel site. They can use the sites to explore flights, but one usually has more choices booking directly with the airline, car rental agency, and the hotel.

I would also advise them not to book through a discount travel site. They can use the sites to explore flights, but one usually has more choices booking directly with the airline, car rental agency, and the hotel.

And far fewer problems if things go awry (cancelled flights, late arrival for hotel or car, etc.)

Graduation weekend is a zoo in Raleigh. Better book every thing early. Where will they stay? Could they Uber instead of renting a car?

Thanks Harlee. I thought as much with several colleges there. And prices are all over the map day to day. My grandaughter suggests the Holiday Inn near her apartment. I'll let them work it all out.

Ah, words from the very wise. Thank you all. I'm so used to being a Grannie, trying to do everything for their convenience, but this is a situation where their awareness and skills are a major factor. So I'll take your advice, check the approximate cost for flights and auto and rooms and send each a check.
Again, thank you.

Kids nowadays, and many older adults too, no longer want to deal with paper checks. Reimburse them via Venmo, PayPal or Zelle. ;)

That's right, Wizard. They've never had a problem with checks.
They are in the mail as I write. Thanks.

Bottom line, everyone, I'm hoping this will be a great and grand celebration for that hard-working granddaughter! And enjoyed as well by her cousins.

Thanks again.

Anne

Back
Top Bottom