Help on recording net cost for investment

ejman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm in the process of converting from Quicken to Gnucash in Linux and because of the complexity of converting the gigantic Quicken files (dating back to 1992) I've decided to start fresh and just input 2016 transactions to catch up. But I still need to enter starting positions for our mutual fund investments. For most funds I've established the Gnucash opening balance cost as total purchases minus total sales with the corresponding date as the last date that shows a purchase/sale activity for the mutual fund account. ( I realize that this is not appropriate for establishing the cost basis for tax purposes but I'll use my archived Quicken files for that)

I've run into a problem though in establishing the net cost for a mutual fund (fidelity Contra) that my wife bought through her 401K at work over many years. It turns out that net purchases minus sales is a negative number i.e, she has taken out more than she has purchased, but due to reinvested dividends the account now is over $125K. I really don't want to re enter into Gnucash many years of monthly purchases and likewise quite a few sales (many detailed buy/sell transactions over the years) Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom