Hi from Sunny California

Congrats! Just read back to the start of this thread and would like to add - no more delays. You are better positioned than many of us - enjoy retirement!

Congratulations, your perseverance and planning have paid off handsomely and you can Enjoy the rest of your life on your terms!

Time for another update!

My last day in the office was May 5th and my last paycheck was June 2nd. I thought I would get nervous leading up to my last day. The only thing I got nervous about was giving a speech at my going away party. The last 6 weeks have been great! I got to spend the first few weeks with my wife while our kids were still in school. I have been knocking off a bunch of my projects with many to go. I was able to drop off and pick up my girls from school and take them around to their after school activities. I have also been able to get a good workout routine going with cardio and weights, which I am starting to feel/see the benefits.

On the last day of school, we took off for a camping trip with 6 other families and had a blast. I've been able to spend more time with and helping my parents and MIL. We had a wonderful Father's day with my whole family at our house. I think the best part was, I had no Sunday work stress, which was amazing.

I have yet to be bored and I am really enjoying spending my time with my family. I thought I would be stressed about the stock market and my portfolio, but what I found is that I am way less worried about it and I am rarely checking the stock market.

We are heading to Hawaii in a couple weeks and we are really looking forward to this one. It will be the first vacation where I haven't had to clear email, review approvals, have early morning calls or afternoon interruptions from some work related crisis. Being present with my family will be amazing.

The only time I felt a slight pang related to work was last week. I received an email from my broker stating that my company cancelled all my unvested options. They were significant golden handcuffs, that I broke free of. It is pretty liberating and I am really looking forward to our FIRE future. I thought I would have played more golf and practiced my guitars more, but there is always time for that when the kids head back to school. I highly recommend this retirement thing. ;)

Welcome to the rest of your life. Sounds like you made the right decision. Have a great summer with your family.

Just retired in January at 56. Have been to St. Martin, South Beach, Louisville and Nashville in a rented 25 foot Airstream and just returned from Athens and the Greek Islands. A total of 40 days. Prior to retiring never had more than 5 days in row off in my life.

Vacation without work as a passenger is a whole new world for me. It has been wonderful without worrying about:

1. What time is it at home?
2. My phone is going nuts.
3. Should I return that call?
4. Can that wait until we are back at the hotel?
5. What hornets nest will I be returning to?

Five and a half months in and loving it.

Just checking in after my 4 months of FIRE. Our 2 weeks in Hawaii were awesome. We all had a blast and I got in a little golf. The summer was a little difficult to get into a routine with the kids off for summer vacation. However, I was totally ok with that since family time was my #1 reason I retired.

The kids have been back in school for about a month now. I have been working on my golf game and have been shooting between 10 and 17 over, which is better than I was expecting. My drives have been erratic, so I spent a couple hours with video/range lessons, made some club adjustment and I started hitting it more consistent... then I broke my toe and haven't been able to practice/play for the past 2 weeks. However, the toe also allowed me to practice my guitars more and I feel like I am making pretty good progress. Days fly by and I still have a ton on my project/hobby list to do. I have not missed work at all and thanks to the market, my NW is much higher than my Jan'17 forecast. I am still fine tuning my cash flow (consolidating accts, paying off rentals, CD ladders for 2 year cash, etc), but feeling pretty confident financially. My withdrawl rate is now 2% of investible assets.

On the health front, I had my annual physical last week and it was pretty cool, BP was down 10 pts, resting heart rate is down 10pts and my weight was down 10 lbs. Seems like retirement is doing my body good.

Back
Top Bottom