Hi, I am David from TX Hill Country

dlovitt

Confused about dryer sheets
I retired from the building material business (CFO) in March of 2007 at the age of 59. We then relocated from Omaha, NE to Spring Branch, TX which is just north of San Antonio. We enjoy traveling in our RV and participate at the IRV2 forum and belong to the RV group Texas Boomers.

We have no pensions so are dependent on our portfolio earnings for our expenses. With the current interest rate situation, I find myself more invested in dividend paying stocks than I would like.

Fixed it for ya..
<chuckle> You wish....:LOL:
Just kidding, David. I love the Texas hill country. Welcome, indeed.
If you get by the first year's scorching hot summers and freezing winters and then the second year - same thing, the third and subsequent years are easier. BTW, the climatologists are saying we have about eight more years left on this drought cycle. Bummer.

On a side note - Y'all who live out in Medina, Bandera, and Uvalde county are hardy souls. Won't you be glad when the little phorid flies are released statewide? (I wonder how many of you non-Texans will have to Google "phorid flies"?) Here's something to think about - once the little phorids do their thing and eradicate the evil doers, what's going to kill the ticks? :facepalm:

I remember the night a scorpion dropped down out of my air conditioner duct - right on my pillow. Thank goodness I was awake and did a quick vault out of the bed and across the room. It was a skill to be repeated twice more.

BTW, there's no such thing as "one" scorpion.

I remember the night a scorpion dropped down out of my air conditioner duct - right on my pillow. Thank goodness I was awake and did a quick vault out of the bed and across the room.

:blink:
Yikes! I thought my infestation of brown recluses (which have been showing up in my glue traps with far less frequency in the past few months) was bad enough...good thing they aren't as 'aggressively mobile' as scorpions.

Have you thought about putting some mesh screen sandwiched between the register and the wall?

It was a skill to be repeated twice more.
Hopefully the bed occupant that caused the repeat performances was a scorpion and not a person. ;)

Last edited:
I remember the night a scorpion dropped down out of my air conditioner duct - right on my pillow. Thank goodness I was awake and did a quick vault out of the bed and across the room. It was a skill to be repeated twice more.

BTW, there's no such thing as "one" scorpion.
In Houston, it wasn't the scorpions but the giant cockroaches. We knew we had one in the ducts when the cats would line up in front of it, waiting for the roach to come out and play. And there is no thing as one Texas cockroach.

The Texas Visitors Association is enjoying this promotional thread.

JK - most of my family lives in Texas, all in all they love it there, and I enjoyed my three years in Dallas and four years in San Antonio.

I have never seen a scorpion in 50 years in Dallas.
I lived in SA for four years, and got stung on the palm of my hand by a scorpion, so they're around. I was using a club to look for a lost ball in a bush, when I got stung - it felt just like an electric shock. Got my attention. My hand swelled to twice it's normal size/thickness and it took about a week to recover full use of that hand.

You guys up there in Southern Oklahoma don't have too many of them. Down here in the limestone hills of Northern Mexico they're under every rock the wild hogs turn over.

We see a dozen or so each summer inside the house - most dead thanks to our bug man. Shine a flashlight on the outside walls of our house on a humid summer evening and you might see a dozen or more...

You guys up there in Southern Oklahoma don't have too many of them. Down here in the limestone hills of Northern Mexico they're under every rock the wild hogs turn over.

We see a dozen or so each summer inside the house - most dead thanks to our bug man. Shine a flashlight on the outside walls of our house on a humid summer evening and you might see a dozen or more...
I've actually never seen a scorpion since we moved here 5.5 years ago. The folks who live out of the city limits see them a lot more, though, from what I understand.

I've actually never seen a scorpion since we moved here 5.5 years ago. The folks who live out of the city limits see them a lot more, though, from what I understand.

Have not seen a one in my 19 years in the DFW area, although Black Widows and Cicada Killers are another matter.

Let's get down to brass tacks.... how many of you use fly bags?

welcome to the forum, and congrats on saving enough to retire. I'm sure we'll see more about your travels in the "travel" section of this forum.

Nope - you probably have seen many of them :LOL: ...

I lived a bit in Texas in the late 60's (Lubbock) and we didn't have scorpions, either. Unfortunately we did have blowing dust/dust devils/tornado's, and the rare tarantula (along with some amarillo’s)...

Last edited:
We have no pensions so are dependent on our portfolio earnings for our expenses.
I retired at the same age, under the same circumstances (no pension).

You spend your working years trading your time for money.
You spend your retirement years trading your money for time.

The second is much better (and has been for the last 4.5+ years, for me).

Welcome...

Back
Top Bottom