Hi - I am financially ready but can't pull the trigger

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that the kids could have seen first hand what financial success really means when dad doesn't have to work anymore while the parents of their friends are still working.

The problem is that the kids - like the vast majority of adults - wouldn't recognize the hard work that it took to FIRE. All they would see was dad bumming around around the house and learn very little from such anecdotal evidence. OTOH, if dad FIRE'd from a salaried position and started his own company with a home office, that would be a different story.

A couple concerns
The long term financial strength of what you have now. If you live to 85 that's 40 years of retirement. Now if that financial number works and I mean really works for you long term then my next concern would be what are you going to do with all the spare time. I retired last September at age 56. I worked 31 years in a stressful career and when I knew it was time to retire I still fought with myself over staying. Just before I was to retire I was offered a VP position in another lucrative business. My Wife and I decided to just retire and see how things felt not working. Its now been 9 months and at the beginning I was lost. Now I am comfortable and have completely relaxed. Wife and I now travel the country in our Motor Coach. Anyway I tell you this because having some purpose is important to managing you're time. You can't golf every day and even if you could would you. Maybe consider a 3 -4 month break and see if it fits. Hope it all works out.

I wouldn't call that a failure in any respect :)

Should have added that my 'failure' is mission creep back towards FT hours, trouble vacation scheduling, etc. :blush: But gig does allow me access to MUCH better HI than ACA Exchange Plans in my region (all very narrow networks).

Last edited:
Sometimes when you're in the midst of a very intense work situation, you really can't see what the alternatives are. You're so caught up in meeting the next deadline, and the next objective, that it's hard to sit back and take a clear look at your situation and what you want.

It sounds like an ideal situation would be to transition to something, but not something that leaves you so stressed. The hard part is finding something that gives you the same level of independence and control that is less stressful or time consuming. But sometimes you need some distance to really have a clear head and heart to think about what you really want.

Welcome a-board! Think of it this way, pulling the trigger is slow squeeze. You'll get there!

Thank you for all your thoughts! When I said "retire" I meant leave my job for a new challenge - either spend my time volunteering, or switch to a job that I love or start my own business. I am a type A person so sitting on the couch will turn me "slap ass crazy"......I achieved my goals that I set when I was 22 - I am now financially independent and am ready for something new. I want to show my children that you can achieve your dreams - and I want to spend time with them before they no longer need me. Looking forward to the off ramp!

Having stopped work a couple of months ago I have yet to find a day where I would say I was bored...rather I would have more than likely been bored a few days at work because I didn't want to be there and could think of better things to do.

IF you cannot think of anything better to do than work you are not necessarily type A. I never understood OMY if there was more than enough $$ to leave. I guess CEO and such use the $$ to keep score but having the most money isn't necessarily a way to win the game either. Being FI you can go and do those things you mention above without worrying about the money for your lifestyle or your children's

The off ramp is a great place. Do it

While we plan for long lives in modelling our retirement finances, we really don't know what will happen. Of the five people I know that passed away in the past couple years four were under 55. I don't plan to work another day past FI. Well FI + 20%:blush:.

Having stopped work a couple of months ago I have yet to find a day where I would say I was bored...rather I would have more than likely been bored a few days at work because I didn't want to be there and could think of better things to do.

IF you cannot think of anything better to do than work you are not necessarily type A. I never understood OMY if there was more than enough $$ to leave. I guess CEO and such use the $$ to keep score but having the most money isn't necessarily a way to win the game either. Being FI you can go and do those things you mention above without worrying about the money for your lifestyle or your children's

The off ramp is a great place. Do it

+1.

I thought I would be like you and I fired in March @45 ! But within a few weeks i jumped right into something to keep me busy / related that starts in the fall but is totally unpaid.

But I am now having buyers remorse of sorts. I should not have jumped so quickly as the decompression stage (I am learning) takes months and is like peeling an onion. I am definitely a different person now.

So... When you do pull the plug give yourself 6-12 months to really decompress and evaluate options.

I love waking up and not feeling the need to dive for the phone/email first thing after opening my eyes.

Nice to be a real human being again !

Last edited:
When I said "retire" I meant leave my job for a new challenge - either spend my time volunteering, or switch to a job that I love or start my own business. I am a type A person so sitting on the couch will turn me "slap ass crazy"......I achieved my goals that I set when I was 22 - I am now financially independent and am ready for something new. I want to show my children that you can achieve your dreams
What are those dreams? Based on the limited information provided, you could certainly stop working but it doesn't appear that you have any real idea of what should follow: so it's not surprising that you haven't left your current job.

In the immortal words of Lewis Carroll:
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where–” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.
“–so long as I get SOMEWHERE,” Alice added as an explanation.
“Oh, you’re sure to do that,” said the Cat, “if you only walk long enough.”

45 is too young to retire.
While everyone is entitled to their personal opinion, I do wish people would refrain from making categorical/judgmental statements like this.

Dude, you're not on the beach...you're ON THE FENCE.

With 40x assets vs. expenses, you already are working two jobs, not one.

You got the power man, time to do what you want to do. Don't be a chicken!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom