Hi, I'm Back and I'm Green

Green Retirement

Dryer sheet wannabe
Back at the dawn of the internet age, before Y2K and the Dot-Com bust, I was a member of the original early retirement forum. I scoured John Greaney's website, devoured Scott Burn's articles, followed the SWR war on the Motley Fool's website, and tried to learn everything I could about retiring early.

Even though I left the early retirement community, I never stopped dreaming or thinking about early retirement. In fact, while I was gone, I learned a few things about early retirement that I would like to share with everyone:

Early retirement is the single best action you can take to save the planet. Better than recycling, changing light bulbs, or driving hybrid cars, when you retire your consumption of earth's natural resources naturally and dramatically declines.

Early retirement is the single best action you can take to save the economy. When you retire early, you reduce unemployment, increase wages, keep interest rates low, reduce the trade deficit, strengthen the dollar and more.

Early retirement is the single best action you can take for your family. Instead of giving your employer the most productive hours of your life, you give them to your family, strengthening the relationships you have with your spouse and children.

Spending more time with my children was my motivation for retiring early. Many of you may think that retiring early is a selfish act, it's not, retiring early is the best action you can take for your family, community, and our planet.

One last thing I learned about retiring early, it's not complicated, confusing, or hard. So, I'm back, and now I'm green, and I look forward to learning, sharing, and helping others! :D

Early retirement is the single best action you can take to save the planet. Better than recycling, changing light bulbs, or driving hybrid cars, when you retire your consumption of earth's natural resources naturally and dramatically declines.
So true!

When you retire you no longer have enough money to command resources! Problem solved.

"Just give me a pigfoot, and a bottle of beer..."

Ha

Many of you may think that retiring early is a selfish act.
Mmm, I agree with everything you said expect for the above. After all this is an early retirement forum. :)
I'm back, and now I'm green, and I look forward to learning, sharing, and helping others! :D
Welcome back! :flowers:

I could give a rat's behind about green, but I certainly agree with this:
Early retirement is the single best action you can take for your family. Instead of giving your employer the most productive hours of your life, you give them to your family, strengthening the relationships you have with your spouse and children.

Spending more time with my children was my motivation for retiring early. Many of you may think that retiring early is a selfish act, it's not, retiring early is the best action you can take for your family...
I watched a CNBC special last night about Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's Hamburger chain. One of his daughters said that when she and her siblings were younger that their dad worked so much that he really wasn't very involved in family life. "My dad never knew where our schools were, or even which schools we went to."

Dang, just when I learned how to compost coffee grounds.;) OTOH, as a retiree, I have more time to figure out how to recycle more of my garbage.

Early retirement is the single best action you can take to save the economy. When you retire early, you reduce unemployment, increase wages, keep interest rates low, reduce the trade deficit, strengthen the dollar and more.

I was one of the hordes of early retirees who was not replaced by a new paid employee, instead my functions were covered by a current member of the family business; the business no longer has a payroll of one, no longer pays into an employee’s Social Security, my retirement did nothing to reduce unemployment.

I don’t understand how early retirement can increase wages even for jobs that open up for another employee.

Last edited:
.... I was a member of the original early retirement forum. I scoured John Greaney's website, devoured Scott Burn's articles, followed the SWR war on the Motley Fool's website, and tried to learn everything I could about retiring early.

Welcome back--who were you way back when (I was Cleopatra--oh, wait, that was 2,000 years ago)?

Isn't this also true of people like my DD who work from home offices? Just wondering.

I don't get this connection at all, but I admit that's not unusual :). Please explain. DH and I are keeping interest rates low and strengthening the dollar? Who knew :) ?

I'm glad this is true for you! Although I know a few people who are dreading having their spouses retire and around the house all the time (which they would have to be in order to reduce their impact on the environment, wouldn't they?).

One last thing I learned about retiring early, it's not complicated, confusing, or hard....

The planning for it was a little complicated and confusing for some of us (again, not unusual for me), but once it happens, the good news is that for most of us here it somehow works out.

So welcome (back) again!

I'm glad this is true for you! Although I know a few people who are dreading having their spouses retire and around the house all the time (which they would have to be in order to reduce their impact on the environment, wouldn't they?).

I know a couple who retired into a 2 bedroom condo in the city. The man was first, his SO followed about 18 months later. They tried for a year or so, then sold their unit and bought two 1 bedrooms in the same building. So in their case retirement increased the consumption of the earth's precious resources.

As in many other things, it's hard to make predictions, especially about the future. But it can be really fun to do so! :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom