Hi, We're New

dm2030

Confused about dryer sheets
We're both 55 and starting to look.  Nice to see so many success stories.  I can't believe it's upon us already.  MB is disability retired so that leaves me to decide when to "let go".  The calculators may help with the decision, since I have no real clue as to "how much is enough". :-\
We'd like to stay in northen CA, but no family or close friends there.  Off to Tx hill country this weekend to check out possibilities with old friends from Chicago.  We're a little leary since we weren't too enamored with Wichita Falls in the early '70's.
All the best to you.  I'll have more to contribute later.
DB

dm2030 said:
We'd like to stay in northen CA, but no family or close friends there. Off to Tx hill country this weekend to check out possibilities with old friends from Chicago.

Hello DM.

Save yourself the trouble of checking out the TX HC. Moving there from northern Calif. would be the ultimate in culture shock (unless you consider Austin, which is similar in some ways to your current location). If you've been reading posts from those of us familiar with the HC area (Ol_Rancher, JG, myself), you should know the perils of relocating to an area with punishing and ever-escalating property taxes, fire ants, rattlesnakes, all sorts of other wild creatures plus opressive heat and humidity. And don't forget the rednecks. TX is chock full of Bubbas carrying (and I don't mean just smokeless tobacco) and they are often hostile to "furiners" from your neck of the woods. The state bird is the mosquito and the state tree is the prickly pear cactus. Storm clouds are building on the horizon over water rights. You might want to BYOW if you do decide to visit.

But...welcome to Texas! :D

REW

DM,
REwahoo knows of what he speaks. Unless you live in a downtown neighborhood in Fredricksburg or better yet within Austin or Travis county you will be known as from the 'left coast'. Worse than a 'DY' (damn yankee). You will be treated with courtesy and they will appreciate you spending your money, but you will never be a real part of the small town community. Rednecks surround you and unless you are a deer hunter, you are just to be tolerated. Keep your liberal mouth shut. This is the heart of a RED state and you best not bring California political talk with you.
The scenery is pretty and climate close to that of much of California but the similarity ends there. If you cannot impress the menfolk as a "Good ol' Boy" keep looking. You will remain a stranger in a strange land.
If if fact like me, you are glad to be in Texas and honered that you might die there because it is as close to heaven as you have been, then come on down. To me and the men folk around hill country that I have come to know from laborers to civic leaders, Texas made a big mistake when it was a Republic joining the union. We tried to quit once and fought galently for the 'cause'. Slavery was not really an issue in this part of Texas, but sovereignty was the issue.
Warning, never ever, tell anyone how anything might have been better in California. You will think they smell something and later notice they no longer seek out your company.
Try saying "God Bless Texas" and fly a Texas flag on your property, and get a twang in yer voice. Anything less, and you will be lonely in a wonderful place.

dm2030 said:
We'd like to stay in northen CA, but no family or close friends there.
DB
DB,

Where are your family and close friends? Are they living in Texas? Why not just stay where you like? It's a big differenece in culture and climate between two areas.

Spanky

you should know the perils of relocating to an area with punishing and ever-escalating property taxes, fire ants, rattlesnakes, all sorts of other wild creatures plus opressive heat and humidity. And don't forget the rednecks. TX is chock full of Bubbas carrying (and I don't mean just smokeless tobacco) and they are often hostile to "furiners" from your neck of the woods. The state bird is the mosquito and the state tree is the prickly pear cactus. Storm clouds are building on the horizon over water rights.

No warning of JG?

You know you're from Texas if:

You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance tot the door,
but by the availability of shade.

You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.

You know cow pies are not made of beef.

Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan his or her wedding date.

You have known someone who has had one belt buckle bigger than your fist.

You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.

A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Ford F350 4x4 is.

You know everything goes better with Ranch.

You actually get these jokes and are "fixin" to send them to your friends.

Finally, you are 100% Texan if you have ever heard this conversation:
"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?"
" Dr. Pepper."

You might want to pick up a copy of this before making your trip to TX:

Attachments

• textalk.gif
    textalk.gif
    41.1 KB · Views: 60
Ol_Rancher said:
You know you're from Texas if:

You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance tot the door,
but by the availability of shade.

You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.

You know cow pies are not made of beef.

Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan his or her wedding date.

You have known someone who has had one belt buckle bigger than your fist.

You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.

A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Ford F350 4x4 is.

You know everything goes better with Ranch.

You actually get these jokes and are "fixin" to send them to your friends.

Finally, you are 100% Texan if you have ever heard this conversation:
"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?"
" Dr. Pepper."

I've seen belt buckles the size of Rhode Island... But you forgot having your name stamped into the leather.

Though Texas is a whole nuther country, the rural areas of my old home state in the Midwest has much in common. TX just takes it too a higher level.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom