Home Remodel Software

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am looking for a lightweight software program to handle basic 2D floorplan sketch for a basement remodel.

Any recommendations?

I prepared some plans using PUNCH! Home Suite 15 yrs ago and I still have printed copies but can't find the files. I think the basic versions of their current products are $30-$50 which is ok but I'd settle for free. I would go to $100 upper limit.

One nice feature of the old PUNCH! software is that it includes a project estimator (schedule of materials, etc.). There are so many floorplan software programs but it's hard to tell if the estimator feature is included, especially in the free version.

Sketchup. I haven’t used it in a while, but it should work. And I think Autocad may have a free or inexpensive version that may work.

Sketchup. I haven’t used it in a while, but it should work.
Trimble bought SketchUp from Google in 2012. Even through 2016-2017 the downloadable free version was sufficient for basic 2D layouts.

Some time after that it seems Trimble changed to disallow free downloadable use, for more than 30 days, of the features available in 2016.

If someone knows differently, that would be great...!

I spent some time with Sweet Home 3d while noodling about a house we are in the process of building. It's free and open source, with capabilities that were astonishing to me. I also found it very easy to use, but I have CAD experience so YMMV. There is an intro video on their home page. Sweet Home 3D - Draw floor plans and arrange furniture freely No estimator feature AFIK but I did not look for one either.

Trimble bought SketchUp from Google in 2012. Even through 2016-2017 the downloadable free version was sufficient for basic 2D layouts.

Some time after that it seems Trimble changed to disallow free downloadable use, for more than 30 days, of the features available in 2016.

If someone knows differently, that would be great...!
Search for "sketchup make 2017", according to Steve Ramsey (wood worker on youtube to tries to encourage/help people with small projects) whom have have watched before, this older local version of software has more features than the free online version, but it is obviously not as up to date. It appears that sketchup has gone towards the subscription model and pricing at different tiers.

This video may not be of much help, but the guy on the right is a skilled builder and is starting to help his brother on the left with some of their custom home designs. I post it to reference his comment about 90 seconds into the video of using the Sketchup Pro version to access models of ready made doors, etc. Though again he is probably going into much more detail as he sometimes builds things from scratch.

Thanks triangle. My chromebook died of caffeine poisoning, and I am working off an old win7 machine for now. I will give that a try.

Thanks to all. The Home Sweet 3D looks promising.

Thanks to all. The Home Sweet 3D looks promising.
Getting to them is a little non-intuitive but there are several 3rd party symbol libraries that have furniture, doors, etc. Some are free and some sell the symbols.

I just use Visio for all indoor/outdoor projects that requires planning. It can do 2D plans easily and there are many drawing object templates you can download for free. Visio also came with my MS Office software installation.

Back
Top Bottom