Home treadmill?

Walking is all I can do now (two bad disks) so for a workout it's either going to be walking fast or riding my bike. Disks aren't terrible, can still play golf and occasionally I break into a run....but NOT comfortable (hurts). With this warmer weather I try to walk outside for 5 miles in the mornings....and pretty soon I'll be back on the bike. But during the winter......treadmill is the way to go for me. I also have an indoor bike stand for my bike that I highly recommend using....can use pretty well any normal bike....and I ride a recumbent. I do that part of the time in the winter.....the treadmill is just simpler. The only way I can get my heart rate up is to walk uphill fairly quickly (or ride a bike).....or think about going back to teaching:nonono:

Walking is all I can do now (two bad disks) so for a workout it's either going to be walking fast or riding my bike. Disks aren't terrible, can still play golf and occasionally I break into a run....but NOT comfortable (hurts). With this warmer weather I try to walk outside for 5 miles in the mornings....and pretty soon I'll be back on the bike. But during the winter......treadmill is the way to go for me. I also have an indoor bike stand for my bike that I highly recommend using....can use pretty well any normal bike....and I ride a recumbent. I do that part of the time in the winter.....the treadmill is just simpler. The only way I can get my heart rate up is to walk uphill fairly quickly (or ride a bike).....or think about going back to teaching:nonono:
Could you tell the brand and model of the bike exerciser? I have a small place, and I could just bring my bike up to use one of these. I don't really have room for any more exercise equipment, but these things look pretty small and unobtrusive.

Ha

I believe my indoor bike stand/trainer is a Kurt Kinetic. There are a number of good trainers out there. The quieter ones are usually either hydraulic or magnetic...mine is hydraulic, plenty quiet enough to watch tv as I pedal. All you do is drop your back wheel onto the stand. Both sides of the wheel get locked into the stand and you adjust the roller onto the tire. This winter I was riding in the morning and hitting the treadmill in the afternoon. Sites like Bike Nashbar offer a number of different types of trainer. Most bikes fit...I ride a recumbent (see below) and it works fine. I added a picture of the Kurt Kinetic with a regular bike on it below that. Smooth tires are the best to use and make it pretty quite. Mountain bike tires work.....but the vibration can be nasty.
bcta_giro26att_10_m.jpg

kurttrjh.jpg

A fitness equipment store in my area has an outlet store. I went there and was able to by a store demo treadmill for a reasonable price. It lifts up to allow for more space in the room.

I second the CL idea

I bought mine there 10yrs ago for $125, heavy duty with a bunch of electronic gizmos and functions including incline,stored workouts and heart monitoring. Many people just want them gone. If you are able to move one and transport it you will save hundreds. I would not spend $300 plus to fix it.

I had this manual treadmill which was a total bust. :blush:

So, now percolating in my mind is thoughts of a motorized treadmill.

For folks that use a treadmill, how necessary is one with an incline? Does your treadmill have one? Or for you is an incline just a nice to have?

I'm thinking more for just walking and not running.

DW uses the incline every time she uses it...it helps get the HR up closer to her running HR. unfortunately she is having knee trouble and is not able to run as much as she used to. I rarely if ever use the incline. I only use it to run, plus a cool down walk...and then I only use it on inclement weather days. On reasonably nice days, I run and/or walk outside...or here lately, work in the garden and the yard.

R

If you are handy with tools that bearing can be replaced .
Mr. Treadmill | Keeping You Running
When my treadmill broke the plastic tension plate at the rear i called this place and they sent me a new piece for $35, even came with installation instructions.

FWIW my wife has a Pro-Form 1500 she bought at Costco in 2006. It seems to be holding up well although she doesn't use it as much as when she first bought it.

Since I never lubricated the belt (and she doesn't concern herself with maintenence to do these things herself :facepalm:) I checked the manual. As it turns out not all treadmills should be lubricated and this is one of them. It would even damage the belt. Glad I checked. I was ready to buy the silicone grease this morning. Whew!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom