Homemade Laundry Detergent

Some of you guys are going to have the homeland security people knocking on your doors. ;)

Here in Excramento, we get hot water out of BOTH faucets!

We have deer too and have learned that none of the applied stuff works. If you have a large area to work with construct two rings of fencing (tall and medium height). Deer can jump high, deer can jump wide, but they can't jump high and wide.

The other option is to use deer scare crows (motion sensors attached to a sprayer). Change their location from time to time as they are most effective when they startle. What we found is that it does scare the deer but the raccoons find them very amusing.

When visiting my inlaws in Florida I learned that there is cold water and then their is COLD water. The cold water at my inlaws was about the same temp as our warm water for washing. .

When I first moved to Florida,I thought something was wrong with my plumbing because the water was so warm .

Better still, put a bar of ivory soap in a couple of quarts of gas and after it dissolves, place the napalm-like gel in a generously applying metal sprayer. Then all you need is one of those long gas matches. That should resolve the fire ant problem.

Yep, being my neighbor is pretty interesting sometimes. I'll bet none of yours has ever made a napalm flamethrower ;)

Anybody have a homemade recipe for getting rid of fire ants ?

Pour lots of boiling water on the nest. Takes multiple efforts however.

Boric acid works but it leave a dead spot in the yard for quite some time (yea, extreme acid rain)

CFB - so that's what you are up to in retirement and why I see the flames in the northeast from this pasttime from my house in Vacaville....too creative...too much time on your hands :)

Thanks CFB for the advice !

Attachments

• 223365412mWbKBp_th.jpg
    223365412mWbKBp_th.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 181
Mmm, yeah the flamethrower also leaves a small bare spot on the lawn.

The guy that lives across the street also stopped parking in front of my house. ;)

Anybody have a homemade recipe for getting rid of fire ants ?

Yeah, stab each of them through the heart with a very sharp straight pin :D

Well, years ago there was Orthene, don't think it is on the market anymore. The stuff stunk so bad that it had to be kept outside, the smell would go through any container. Used to put a teaspoonful on every mound, while holding breath.

Every "home" remedy I have heard of is a waste of time, or totally impractical if you have any land at all. Here in TX, if you were to treat mounds one by one that you saw, you would miss the up and coming mounds, or other stealth mounds. But the big mound-building here is usually only after enough rain to get the soil really wet, that they build the mound up to have a place to transfer the eggs to get up out of the soggy ground. Most of the year, we don't really see many built-up mounds. So a mound-by-mound approach doesn't work well.

I have had real good luck with Amdro. Have to keep it in the house, needs to be cool, as it is a bait. Apply it in the evening when the sun is off the area. Can spot-treat mounds, but better yet, can spread it very thinly (like 1 lb per acre) via a hand-cranked hand-held seed spreader on the lowest setting. I do it in strips that do not overlap. That is, a 15 foot wide or so strip, then a 15 foot strip of no spread, then another 15 foot wide strip of spread. The fire ants forage over a bigger distance than 15 feet, so they will find it. Amdro takes a while, it is not an immediate-death kind of poison. But it kills the multiple queens.

.............. Amdro takes a while, it is not an immediate-death kind of poison. ..........

I had this problem when I was using Saccharin to kill rats in my barn...

I mentioned in another thread that one of the areas Im cheap in is laundry detergent. I make my own. Its amazing how much junk is in a box of detergent that does nothing for cleaning at all. After asking around, I found this recipe:

1/2 Cup Washing Soda (NOT baking soda.)
1/2 Cup Borax
1 Cup Fels Naptha Soap

Grind it down using a cheese shredder and mix. Simple as that.

Use 1 tablespoon for light loads. 2 tablespoons for heavier loads. (Tablespoon is the right size, its more potent and doesnt need cups of it to work.)

The washing soda can be gotten at Kroger fairly cheaply. The Borax is common in just about any grocery store. I got the Fels Naptha Soap on Amazon. There was a bundle deal for 8 or 10 bars for <$10 including shipping.

Anyone else got some cheap recipes that they want to share?

Hey ChemEng, thanks for the recipe.

We're having trouble finding Washing Soda. What's the reason for not using Baking Soda?

Washing soda was in the recipe I was given, so that is why we used it. Im not sure of the differences between washing soda and baking soda. Chemically, washing soda is Sodium carbonate and baking soda is Sodium bicarbonate so there IS a difference. But on the wiki for Baking soda, it does mention that it is used as fabric softener in laundry. If you choose to try it, post back here to let us know how it goes.

We have been able to get Washing Soda at a local Kroger so you may want to try there. There are some places that you can buy it online as well, but its a more expensive (especially when you consider shipping.) You may also want to try some of the smaller grocery stores, they tend to carry some of the older laundry products.

Its worth looking into finding it if you can. The above recipe has saved >$100 this year and there is still a full 5 gallon bucket of it left to use.

Its worth looking into finding it if you can. The above recipe has saved >$100 this year and there is still a full 5 gallon bucket of it left to use.
Holy cow, that's a lotta dirty laundry.

We've been using about two tablespoons in our front loader and that still might be too much. Takes a long time to get through a store-bought box of detergent, even considering our teenager's wardrobe.

Holy cow, that's a lotta dirty laundry.

We've been using about two tablespoons in our front loader and that still might be too much. Takes a long time to get through a store-bought box of detergent, even considering our teenager's wardrobe.

I guess-timated the $100 savings on the basis that it cost ~$20 to buy the recipe ingredients and havent had to buy store brands for the remainder of the year. Normally we would go through a box of detergent every other month.

Either way, it feels good going in the face of what is needed to buy in the store and make your own. Its also an interesting talk piece when we get visitors to the house and they notice. Mostly people who think making detergent is beneath them, but occasionally some with interest.

Some of you guys are going to have the homeland security people knocking on your doors.
wink.gif

cfb, I was thinking exactly the same thing...and then you come up with instructions on how to make naplam!

In re fire ants, I have read that citrus oil (and hopefully citrus oil-based cleaners) kills them. Low environmental impact...and it smells a lot nicer, too!

We lived in central Florida when the gummint made Amdro [? the only really effective stuff for fire ants] illegal. It occurred to me that someone ought to bring a few colonies up to the DC suburbs in retaliation.

Washing soda was in the recipe I was given, so that is why we used it. Im not sure of the differences between washing soda and baking soda...If you choose to try it, post back here to let us know how it goes...

We have been able to get Washing Soda at a local Kroger so you may want to try there...

No Krogers around here to my knowledge, unfortunately. We'll have to keep looking.

The DW used baking soda instead of washing soda. I'll have to report back if the clothes come out with holes in them or something.

Thanks for the reply.

For those of you "in the know" - is this a good deal? Not having luck where I typically shop, and am too lazy to drive all over the place looking. Also, is this ideal for those with sensitive skin?

Soaps Gone Buy - Where Soaps of yesterday are found Today!

The following items are included with this kit:

1 of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda ($5.75 value!)
7 of Fels Naptha Heavy Duty Laundry Soap - Single Bar ($1.89 value!)
1 of 20 Mule Team Borax ($6.95 value!)
clear1x1.gif
PBox_Border_Left_Bottom.gif
clear1x1.gif

Thanks!

I mentioned in another thread that one of the areas Im cheap in is laundry detergent. I make my own.

We are a huge fan of washing with cold water and we use detergents that are specifically made for cold water. This saves us quite a bit as we are not using any hot water to do the laundry and still getting the clothes clean. Does your formula work just as well in hot and cold water?

For those of you "in the know" - is this a good deal? Not having luck where I typically shop, and am too lazy to drive all over the place looking. Also, is this ideal for those with sensitive skin?

Soaps Gone Buy - Where Soaps of yesterday are found Today!

The following items are included with this kit:

1 of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda ($5.75 value!)
7 of Fels Naptha Heavy Duty Laundry Soap - Single Bar ($1.89 value!)
1 of 20 Mule Team Borax ($6.95 value!)
clear1x1.gif
PBox_Border_Left_Bottom.gif
clear1x1.gif

Thanks!
Those numbers look pretty close to what I paid (albeit slightly higher). With that amount of supplies, youll get at least as much detergent as you would if you purchased a premixed box.

**Its also pretty cool that they list the same dry detergent recipe that I use!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom