Hoop, hurdles and health care in US

Martha,

Didn't you say you lived in Minnesota...I understand some of those kids you work on are under 18? I was just reading through the insurekidsnow.gov site, and it says that the program covers dental services for low income kids. Do you think that some of the kids you work on could qualify?

Here's the link:
Medical assistance - what services are paid

Yes, I know about the insurekidsnow programs. The age range include those under and over 18. You are correct that it is much much easier to get health care for those under 18.

There are various programs like free clinics and subsidized drug programs for those who are not eligible for medicaid. However, waiting lists are extensive. The prescription drug programs most often require a copay. If the only money you have comes from selling blood, you aren't going to use it for a copay. The big problem is getting mental health care. For example, a suicidal 20 year old ends up in the hospital. They prescribe some drugs and get her out asap because she has no money and no insurance. She is back on the street in two days and you have to figure out a way to get her the required meds and not only that, get her to take them.

There are various programs like free clinics and subsidized drug programs for those who are not eligible for medicaid. However, waiting lists are extensive. The prescription drug programs most often require a copay. If the only money you have comes from selling blood, you aren't going to use it for a copay.

Martha, I admire what you do for misfortuned people. However, don't you see that social programs ALWAYS have huge waiting lists? Can't you see that the same will happen in a purely socialized system?...only instead of it happening to the minority, it happens to everyone! This is why gov't sponsored healthcare scares me. If the social programs that are put in place for the misfortuned have limitations, how much worse would it be if we gave social healthcare to everyone?

Martha, I admire what you do for misfortuned people. However, don't you see that social programs ALWAYS have huge waiting lists? Can't you see that the same will happen in a purely socialized system?...only instead of it happening to the minority, it happens to everyone! This is why gov't sponsored healthcare scares me. If the social programs that are put in place for the misfortuned have limitations, how much worse would it be if we gave social healthcare to everyone?

What you are really afraid of is that YOU might lose your privileged position and have to wait for a change.

CLICK: you have been added to my IGNORE list. Goodbye.

What you are really afraid of is that YOU might lose your privileged position and have to wait for a change.

CLICK: you have been added to my IGNORE list. Goodbye.

You have no idea how wrong you are. In America, there is no reason that anyone should have to wait, but a little bit of inequality is necessary in order to serve the masses....without it, the entire population suffers. Martha quotes that approx 18,000 people die each year because of lack of insurance (that's a very small number compared to the entire populaton of the United States). However, the Commonwealth Fund never mentions how many hundreds of thousands of people from the other countries of the world die because of lack of access to technology (of diseases like cancer, AIDS, malaria, heart disease, etc) or because they are stuck on a waiting list waiting for tests or surgery, or because they have no access to the prescriptions they need. Do you know why the Commonwealth fund doesn't site any of those statistics? Because they aren't available. Try it...go out on the internet and do a search for statistics of people who die while on a waiting list...you won't find a single one! (And I doubt it never happens). I tried to find the numbers every which way...and nothing...yet we hear about it on the news everyday...hundreds of thousands of people dying from diseases like AIDS or needlessly suffering because they don't have access to the best medications.

The govt's of other countries don't publish those kind of figures....they are very squeamish about doing that....I wonder why?

Administrative costs, marketing and profits account for 22 to 33 percent of the U.S. healthcare dollar. By contrast, overhead costs in single-payer systems (including Medicare) typically are 3 percent.
In America's for-profit private insurance healthcare system, medical technicians must contend with hundreds of different forms, billing procedures, regulations and requirements from hundreds of insurance companies; U.S. healthcare companies spend money for advertising and marketing; and, the U.S. healthcare system is based on profit. Since 1970, the number of medical doctors in the United States has increased 40 percent, while the number of medical administrators has increased almost 3,000 percent.
We are paying for a massive, inefficient bureaucracy. The increasing cost of prescription drugs also is increasing the healthcare bill, and U.S. drug costs are the highest in the world; Americans pay 30 percent to 80 percent more for prescription drugs than citizens of any other country.
You might think that this excess money goes into developing new drugs, but you would be wrong: Only 13 percent of drug costs go to research and development, and little of that goes for pioneering new drugs to deal with life-threatening conditions; 51 percent goes to marketing, administration and profits.

IMHO, we can and will implement universal healthcare in this country - I just hope that it is single-payer or some type of system that gets the middlemen (read insurance companies) out of the picture.

BTW - Single payer is not socialized medicine. Medicare is a single-payer system -- a very popular one, by the way -- and single-payer systems such as Medicare do not employ any doctors or own any hospitals or medical facilities.

Peace

Americans pay 30 percent to 80 percent more for prescription drugs than citizens of any other country.

Don't you realize that America is one of the biggest suppliers of prescription medications to those "other" countries? Those countries REFUSE to purchase prescriptions at anything but their budgeted prices. They don't have free markets, so their gov'ts stipulate the pricing and drug companies give in. Therefore, they sell way below cost to other countries and American citizens get to pay the difference. THAT's why we pay 30-80% more. There are a couple of solutions. 1.) Legalize drug re-importation or 2.)Stop selling our drugs to other countries. Either solution will hurt the poor nations of the world. If we legalize re-importation, poor nations will experience shortages. If we refuse to sell to poor countries, people will die.

I know it sort of goes without saying, but...

Attachments

• bunny donut.jpg
    bunny donut.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom