Hoping to retire by 45

Just curious, which three funds did you pick?

I am personally impressed with what you have already accomplished.

ER has definitely been the light at the end of the tunnel getting me through some rough patches. Just don't forget to enjoy some time with your young one(s), spouse and any other loved ones now; you will never get that time back. Yes, it is a tough balancing act.

I chose VTI, VXUS, BND. Goal is a 50/30/20 allocation. I like the low expense ratios of ETFs and also not having a limit on frequent trading. I had some commodities in my portfolio which are mostly gone now, hence the poor returns over the last 6+ months.

Thank you. We have a great life even though we LBOM. I'm a goal oriented person so having that light at the end of the tunnel keeps me motivated. DW's job is to remind me to stop and smell the roses.

I have thought about starting a UTMA account (in addition to 529) for my son for future expenses.

You will pay tax at your rate (kiddie tax till age 24) for any UTMA account dividends/interest/capital gains and have to bother with all the tax returns, etc. If this is strictly for college, then everything into a 529 is much easier (no tax returns till you withdraw).

You can use a UTMA for any expenses while 529 is just for college tuition, books, and room/board. You are stuck if your kid doesn't go to college, but you can transfer to other beneficiaries if that does happen.

You will pay tax at your rate (kiddie tax till age 24) for any UTMA account dividends/interest/capital gains and have to bother with all the tax returns, etc. If this is strictly for college, then everything into a 529 is much easier (no tax returns till you withdraw).

You can use a UTMA for any expenses while 529 is just for college tuition, books, and room/board. You are stuck if your kid doesn't go to college, but you can transfer to other beneficiaries if that does happen.

It is my understanding that the first $950 in unearned income is tax exempt, the next 950 is taxed at the kiddie rate, and then anything above is taxed at our rate. While certainly not the tax haven it once was, it does save us a bit in taxes. I dont mind the extra tax forms.

Expenses will mainly be for pre-colleges expenses (i.e. possible private high school, travel, summer camps..,etc). We have a 529 set up for college. The UTMA would be in addition to that.

Also, the max for a 401k is up to 51k (your 401 k administrator may not tell you this) and I would contribute to a nondeductible IRA. Good luck!

5971, I am impressed. Love the quarterly update accountability approach as well. I tried a similar communication approach on a diet plan once and sadly had similar results as you: my assets ballooned :)

Joking aside.... I do not want steer the conversation down a different path, but can someone share with me a link that further describes the 401k contribution comment above? I thought the limit was $17,500 per year and approximately $5k more if you are over 55

Joking aside.... I do not want steer the conversation down a different path, but can someone share with me a link that further describes the 401k contribution comment above? I thought the limit was $17,500 per year and approximately $5k more if you are over 55

I think that this depends on the individual 401(k) plan rules. My ex-employer allowed us to contribute the maximum, though anything over the (now $17,500) was after tax. As a result I ended up with over 100K after tax money in my 401(k).

It is my understanding that the first $950 in unearned income is tax exempt, the next 950 is taxed at the kiddie rate, and then anything above is taxed at our rate. While certainly not the tax haven it once was, it does save us a bit in taxes. I dont mind the extra tax forms.

Expenses will mainly be for pre-colleges expenses (i.e. possible private high school, travel, summer camps..,etc). We have a 529 set up for college. The UTMA would be in addition to that.

Yes, there is a tax benefit and more flexibility in what you can spend it on. In NH, you also can exempt up to $1200 of int/dividends so there may be state tax benefits too.

However, given the 100% tax free nature of a 529, you may want to consider funding it before the UMTA to enjoy the most years of tax free growth.

My employer allowed after tax contributions to 401k. They also allowed what is known as in service withdrawals. This was a huge advantage because these funds could then be immediately rolled over to a Roth IRA. Between DW and myself, we were effectively contributing a total of 100 k per year to our Roth IRAs for the past few years since 2009. The advantage is the ability to bypass the normal 5k per your limits to Roth IRA contributions.

-gauss

Last edited:
Yes, there is a tax benefit and more flexibility in what you can spend it on. In NH, you also can exempt up to $1200 of int/dividends so there may be state tax benefits too.

However, given the 100% tax free nature of a 529, you may want to consider funding it before the UMTA to enjoy the most years of tax free growth.

Thank you for clarifying. You are right.

My employer allowed after tax contributions to 401k. They also allowed what is known as in service withdrawals. This was a huge advantage because these funds could then be immediately rolled over to a Roth IRA. Between DW and myself, we were effectively contributing a total of 100 k per year to our Roth IRAs for the past few years since 2009. The advantage is the ability to bypass the normal 5k per your limits to Roth IRA contributions.

-gauss

Wow. I've never heard of this. Kind of a super back door Roth?

I honestly could stand to learn more about my 401k. We've switched plans a few times in the last 5 years, but right now we are on pace for $51k this year.

Super Back door! Yes, I was very excited about it when I discovered it. The problem is that many 401k plans do not allow the after-tax contributions. I think it may be more common in older, large, legacy companies.

You might get a hint if it is allowed or not if you go to the web site for your 401k and look at the contribution options. A more advanced maneuver would be to pull down the plan document (often available on the web site also), or call the plan administrators.

My Megacorp would allow contributions of up to 50% of salary and it is limited to the current year IRS defined contribution limit (~51k).

Since my plan allowed "in-service withdrawals", I was able to do the Roth IRA rollovers at any time. A second strategy, which I have not investigated, that may be possible would to convert the funds to a Roth 401k in your plan if that is available.

If you have lots of pre-tax 401k $ already in the plan, then you should study the concept of "isolating the basis" over at fairmark.com before you do any conversions, otherwise you may get stuck with an unexpected tax bill do to the pro-rata rules. This probably wouldn't be possible if you don't have the "in-service withdrawal" option available since it relies on the flexibility when you combine rollover/conversions between IRAs and 401ks.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk more about it.

-gauss

-gauss

Been following this forum for a while. This is my first post. I just turned 37 and the wife and I are planning on retiring in 7 years on a budget of about $80-90k/yr.

We are currently debt free except two 10 year mortgages (one rental) which we will have paid off by our 7 year deadline.

One of the things that may throw a wrench in our plan is saving for college. We have a 2 yr old currently and I have already started putting some money in a 529 plan, but I have no idea how much college is going to set us back in 15 years.

We have about $700k in non-retirement funds currently and about $300k in a mix of IRAs and 401(k). We will also be relying on some income from our rental property.

Hope we can make it!

Welcome. I am 40 and we plan to to semi-retirement around 45 and full retirement at 48. It will not matter that much but one variable is the cost of collge for our 2 year old child which I am concerned about just like you.

It is something I been trying to research and estimate this recently. After looking over the data recently I feel that it might not be as bad I thought it was. Of course it depends on what bad means. I thought it was going to be bad reading all these scary articles in the media about how in the last decade college costs has been going up 8% every year and will continue to do so.

I looked into it and found that the large increases has really been for public universities which are at lower cost than private univerisities and the rate of increase for private universities has not been as high. In other words, colleges which are expensive have not increased as a much as the less expensive ones. So your worst case scenerio for a expensive private university is not as bad as what the price tag today plus 8% nominal price increase every year.

I do all my planning for retirement in 2013 dollars and I wanted to model how much will it cost to put my child through and expensive private university in 2013 dollars 16 years from now. I used one expensive private university, one Yale U, as a target for my estimates as it would represent the worst case scenerio in terms cost. I picked it because that is where I went and a lot of my relatives went as well and if my DS could get in I would like him to continue the family tradition.

The data points I used are Yale college tuition+room+board in 1976, then in 1990 (year I started to attend there) and then 2012 (last know data.) So I can then try to figure out what costs my DS will encounter in 2029 when he will start to attend.

I found 1976 cost was $6425, 1990 cost was $20820, and 2012 cost is $55300. There will be personal expenses but I will assume my DS will work on campus to pay for it himself.

What we find is Yale costs went up by an average of 8.8% in 1976-1990 and up an average of 4.5% in 1990-2012. So the rate in increase is actually decreasing. Of coure we have to calibrate against inflation as some of this increase are just reflecting overall inflation in the economy. I found that inflation rose by an average of 6.2% in 1976-1990 and inflation went up by an average of 2.7% in 1990-2012. So doing the math shows Yale costs went up an average 2.4% above inflation during the 1976-1990 period. Also Yale costs went up by an average of 1.8% above inflation during 1990-2012. So if anything the "surge" in college costs is worst during the pre-1990 period than the last couple of decades when there was a supposed unpresedented increase in college costs.

I think it has more to do with lower cost private and public universities moving their prices in line with places like Yale mostly to capture all those student loans and goverment subsidies over the last couple of decades so it does seem to be a massive jump in prices for those places. But for the highest cost places which is the worst case scenerio the situation does not look that bad. I can live with 1.8% higher than inflation. So it is not bad depending on what bad means.

What does this mean for me. Well, if Yale cost $55300 in 2012 and if I assume (a big if) my DS attends Yale in 2029-2033, and if I assume the same 1.8% increase per year on top of inflation (I am pretty sure it would be lower, something like 1.5% as I think this student loan bubble will burst soon) I am left with a cost of $77K per year in 2013 dollars. So that I what I model for as a worst case scenerio. All other scenerios will cost less then that. I should be able to adjust our earnings and investments a few years before our DS attends college to extract some finnacial aid (like I had my parents do a couple of years before I attended college to achieve the same goal which worked) but I will not count on it. It will just be an added bonus.

Quick quarterly update. Not much to report. I did start a UTMA account in addition to our existing 529. I've been applying most of our monthly surplus to our two remaining mortgages. MINT.com has us rapidly approaching 1.8 M in net worth (including primary home). It would be nice to hit 2M by the time we hit 40.

Non-RA and cash: $550k
RA : 400k
Primary home 430k (owe 175k)
Rentals: 400k (owe 200k)
529/UTMA: 10k

Quick quarterly update. Not much to report. I did start a UTMA account in addition to our existing 529. I've been applying most of our monthly surplus to our two remaining mortgages. MINT.com has us rapidly approaching 1.8 M in net worth (including primary home). It would be nice to hit 2M by the time we hit 40.

Non-RA and cash: $550k
RA : 400k
Primary home 430k (owe 175k)
Rentals: 400k (owe 200k)
529/UTMA: 10k

I'm not sure how you have concluded that your Net Worth is approaching $1.8 M. The equation is: Net Worth = Assets - Liabilities.

Assets = $550k + $400k + $430k + $400k + $10k = $1,790k (or $1.79 M)
Liabilities = $175k + $200k = $375k
Therefore, Net Worth = $1,790k - $375k = $1,415k (or $1.415 M).

Of course, there may be another asset class that you haven't mentioned above.

Sorry. The way I listed the numbers is confusing. The first number I listed for our real estate is the approximate amount of equity in our homes based upon zillow (total property value of 1.2M and 375k in mortgages)

Sorry. The way I listed the numbers is confusing. The first number I listed for our real estate is the approximate amount of equity in our homes based upon zillow (total property value of 1.2M and 375k in mortgages)

Just keep in mind zillow's numbers are not very accurate.

Oh, I see. Thank you for clarifying. As my days, Zillow is not very accurate. If the numbers matter (e.g you plan to sell in the near future) consider getting an appraisal.

Quick update. We did finally obtain a PenFed 5 yr HEL for one of our rentals. There was some snag for our primary home and I have decided just to pay that mortgage down over the next few years (we owe less than 150k at this point).

RA - 425k
Non RA and cash 575k

Tallying up our expenses for the year and they were pretty much in line with 2012.

Happy holidays to all.

I'd assume college expenses are going to double, at the very least, in fifteen years. Our sons college bill was $36k a year, and more kids are going for five years rather than four. After his scholarships, we were pretty much spending $2k a month, 12 months out of the year. There are MUCH more expensive colleges.

I think your plan is doable, but you're going to need enough capital for at least a 40 year retirement horizon - maybe more. I wouldn't plan on more than a 2.5% withdrawal rate or your funds may not outlast you. We use a 2%.

Make sure you have enough money to ENJOY your retirement - not just survive. I think you might have to be a bit more flexible time wise, and don't forget the possibility of emergency or long term medical expenses eating up a portion of your assets.

Good luck.

Been following this forum for a while. This is my first post. I just turned 37 and the wife and I are planning on retiring in 7 years on a budget of about $80-90k/yr.

We are currently debt free except two 10 year mortgages (one rental) which we will have paid off by our 7 year deadline.

One of the things that may throw a wrench in our plan is saving for college. We have a 2 yr old currently and I have already started putting some money in a 529 plan, but I have no idea how much college is going to set us back in 15 years.

We have about $700k in non-retirement funds currently and about $300k in a mix of IRAs and 401(k). We will also be relying on some income from our rental property.

Hope we can make it!

Being of relatively modestly means we didn't save separately for our daughter's college. Our college savings plan was that she would either get a scholarship - or work & we would help fund the rest from proceeds of downsizing our larger pre-retirement house.

She ended up getting two academic scholarships - the expenses one doesn't pay the other one does & the leftover gets deposited in her bank account. Being Early Retired, we were able to actually move to an area within commuting distance of her public State university and she lives at home (which suits her fine) - so she actually makes money going to school. (& we, her parents, get to belong to the university fitness center for $70 per semester :dance: )

Of course, we only have one kid, who has always been an academically hard worker & self motivated, a homebody, & we conveniently retired just prior to her finishing high school .... otherwise could have been a different
story.

In any case, I'm not so sure paying 100% for a child's college is always a good plan. I do know that ours takes great personal pride in the fact she earned her tuition/books/fees through a lot of very hard academic work in high school - and it's a good thing for her that she has that to be proud of.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

After thinking about this for some time, I've decided that if we get to around $125k in the 529 plan then that will be sufficient to keep our son out of substantial debt and I will likely stop contributions. If his schooling costs significantly more than that, then the plan will be work during school, work summers, scholarships, $ leftover from UTMA, $ from parents cash flow at the time, loans, parents re-entering workforce...in that order.

There is also the small possibility that he turns out to be a superstar (like Retiredatfifty's daughter) and gets substantial scholarships to college, making the 529 unnecessary. So, the $125k goal sort of hedges against that scenario.

I also agree that there is probably some danger in our kid "knowing" that college will be fully taken care of. My wife and I both had varying degrees of financial help, but still had substantial loans to pay off. Learning to budget while taking out loans and while re-paying loans was a sometimes painful, but very educational process.

The plan is to retire at 45 (class of 2020) with a <100K/year budget. We are shooting for a SWR of 3.5%. This will not take into account social security and the possibility of some part time work or possible ancillary income from hobbies. We will also likely downsize when the nest is empty and take some equity out of our primary home if needed.

The plan is to retire at 45 (class of 2020) with a <100K/year budget. We are shooting for a SWR of 3.5%.

Good luck and nicely done so far! We retired in 2012 at 43 and 42 yo and have two tween aged kids. It has been wonderful and I feel very fortunate to be in this situation.

Quarterly update.

According to MINT we are teetering at $2M net worth depending on where the market is at.

Retirement accounts - 475k
Cash and non RA - 600k
Rental properties - 450k

I missed out on the PenFed 3% cd offer unfortunately, but I was able to purchase extra shares of VTI when it was down below 92 recently.

It's nice to hit $2M at 40 and I think we are right on track to get to at least $3M by 45.

Quick quarterly update.

We had some unexpected medical expenses and a big expensive vacation this quarter so we saved less than usual. The markets, however, have been very kind to the retirement accounts (now >$520k). Our mortgages are down to under $250k. We are moving along as expected with about 5 more years to go.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats on almost reaching $2M! We are a couple years younger than you are and hoping to RE about the same time. We have close to what you have saved in investable assets (about $100k less). Not really counting our home since we are not planning to sell it and no rental property here. Similar income and hoping to put $200-250k yearly into our accounts in the next few years. Hoping to have $3M, paid off home, and college costs set aside by 2020 and have DH work a few (3-5) extra years for health insurance and to bring assets closer to $4M. It will be great to compare our net worths every quarter and maybe keep each other accountable. Here's to the possibility of RE in 2020!

Congratulations on the impressive NW increase in the past few years!

We are pretty much where you were when you first started this thread, in terms of liquid assets, income, and non-mortgage expenses, except that we don't have investment property.

We are also hopefully on a 7-10 year timeline, so I am especially interested in your quarterly updates, since I think we will need roughly the same amount of money to FIRE. Hope you continue with this excellent progress!

Back
Top Bottom