Hotel Chain Recommendations

I have traveled quite a bit for work and leisure, and stayed at Marriott family, Hilton family and Holiday Inn family hotels over the years depending on my company's preference and location availability.

Hilton has a large network, but overall was disappointing because their cleanliness standards seemed to be lower than the other chains, (in America and in Europe) and the rewards expire without any notice. The number of points required for a one night stay at a measly Hampton Inn are pretty high--so even though you get "double points" they get used up really quickly. If you are a "diamond" member they give you lots of perks, but if you are a "silver" they treat you like chump change.

Holiday Inn family hotels are my second choice, I really think their "Express" line is the best business mid-price hotel, but there are not as many out there as some of the competition. Their points don't expire, but the cost to redeem for free nights is a bit high. Always felt welcomed, even though I was at the lowest status level.

Marriott has been the overall best, based on my travels. They have a large network of hotels, and their points don't expire. Fairfield Inns are a bargain in the reward category. I like the Residence Inns the best overall as a leisure traveler. While there are exceptions, I found the most consistency in Marriotts.

Regarding pets, I think these 3 chains have pet friendly hotels but may charge a surcharge because they "sanitize" the room after you leave.

Priceline has not worked for us regarding hotels, got some real dumps. Now, for cars, Priceline has been great...

In the end, everyone has their own preferences. You may need to try a few out to see which you like best. Happy travels!:clap:

Another Hilton User; old habits...

I've been using the Hilton brand hotels since my w*rking days, and have stayed with them since we ER'd. We use Hilton Honors whenever we get enough points, but don't get all hung up on anybody's rewards program. But like foxfirev5 wrote, you need to check out each Hampton Inn before making reservations, as the age, quality and rep can be all over the board. Don't overlook their Homewood Suites, either; we've benefited from the stay-and-park option prior to flying. Although the rate is slightly higher, it's always beaten the rates charged by the long-term lots.
I've started reviewing each Hamton Inn on Trip Advisor due to the range of experiences we've had. Some of the best, some that should have been imploded years' ago, and some that are simply old & at minimum standards.
Some say Hilton, some say Marriott. It's what you've used in the past and are comfortable with...

Back
Top Bottom