How do you charge an electric car in rural area

New homes in the US come with a 220V/200A panel. I don't know how much peak current I ever draw, but imagine that there's still a lot of reserve.

About the cost, new subdivisions here all have underground utilities, and the power is brought to the panel that is at a front corner of the house. If that is right by the garage door like in my case, the cost of installing an EV charger will not be that much.

With a 220V/50A circuit, an empty EV should be fully charged overnight.

PS. I installed a 30A RV receptacle next to the breaker panel for my class C RV. Cost was minimal.

Even with 200A service wouldn't 240VAC circuits normally only be 30A in a spec-built home?

Only convenient if your panel is in the garage where you can easily add a short, higher-amperage (50A+) 240VAC circuit.

Here to add a single 120VAC circuit to my kitchen I had to have it pulled from the kitchen up to the attic, across the attic then down the back of the house to the panel using outdoor-rated cable, which also had to be run in conduit ($$$).

Last edited:
Sigh

I spend the summer in the North Carolina mountains, right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. I went to lunch at a local cafe and met a woman and her children traveling on the Blue Ridge Parkway who was stuck with a Tesla that she could not charge. She only had 8 miles of charge left and the closest charger she could find was 25 miles away. Her cellphone (ATT) would not work so I loaned her mine (Verizon). She had to call AAA and was going to have her car towed 25 miles to the nearest charger. She had been trying to charge her car with a regular household plug in at a campground but she said it charged very slowly. What do people do with electric cars when they are traveling in a rural area like the Blue Ridge Parkway and there are no car chargers?

Her problem was patience and/or lack of planning, not infrastructure.

NEXT! :facepalm:

I'm not sure how this is really any different from someone running out of gas in a rural area which I expect happens all the time and just never makes the news. There are various phone apps that will map out all the available charging locations from any location in the US. If you are planning to be out of cell phone range then better make good plans. But you don't want to run out of gas in eastern Oregon or central Nevada either.

As for using electric cars in rural areas? The HUGE HUGE advantage to owning a good electric car in a rural area is that you can charge it at home so there is really never any reason to ever leave home without a full charge. How many rural people drive more than say 100 miles per day doing their daily errands? Not many I suspect. So an electric car is perfectly useful especially if the nearest gas station is 10 miles away.

What electric cars are least useful for is long road trips through unpopulated areas. When they get up to 500 or so miles of battery capacity that will change. We will eventually get electric cars with 500+ miles of battery capacity. We just aren't there yet.

Thanks for this great explanation. Electric cars are a lot more complicated than I ever knew. Since I spend 6 months a year in the mountains of North Carolina where there are no chargers there is no electric car in my future.

Why? Your car will be fully charged and ready to roam anywhere within +125 miles and back home every morning. In the morning you'll wake up with a full tank again and ready to roam. I live just south of the Zirconia in the mountains and love my Tesla Model 3. I roam the mountains every day and have no problem driving to Mount Michell and beyond and back home. In the morning I'm read to go again. We just got back from a week at Kiawah Island south of Charleston. A quick pit stop to use the bathroom at the Greenville Supercharger (15 mins) gave us enough in the tank to head onto the Santee supercharger where we ate lunch while the car filled up (45 minutes). Then onto Kiawah. We drove all around the island and charged on a 110V outside receptacle at the rental house. Left on the final morning with a full tank and came back through Santee then all the way home. There is no reason not to own an EV today. In fact an ICE is likely to loose value quickly over the next 5 years.

RV hookups work

I’m near the bottom of a mountain pass in rural Montana. Not long ago a friend came in my driveway towing new Tesla behind him. The owner (a doctor) was out of juice and needed the 50a plug on the RV hookup in my yard. They ended up leaving it with me overnight to get it charged up and my friend brought him back the next morning. I suppose I should have figured out what it cost me in electricity. For some reason, a lot of Tesla owners seem to think electricity is free. At least this one did...

OP here, the lady with the Telsa called me to thank me for all the help last week and to let me know she made it home to NJ safely. I asked her for a few more details to try to understand how this could have happened. She said Thursday of last week she was in Mt Airy, NC, they had a charging station for electric cars but not specifically for a Tesla. She charge the Tesla all night and it finally showed a 300 mile charge. She thought that would be sufficient since she was going to Beech Mountain NC for the weekend less than 125 miles away. She climbed the mountain and got on the Blue Ridge Parkway and after only about 75 miles the charge on her Tesla only showed 8 miles. She had never had that kind of problem before--she thinks the altitude climb caused her to use almost 300 miles of charge even though she had driven less than 100 actual miles.

She also told me AAA had difficulty finding a tow truck that could tow a Tesla. They finally found a roll back but even that had difficulty because there was no way to tie the Tesla down. She had 3 other people with her, she had to hire an Uber driver to drive the 3 other people (there is only one Uber driver in our entire area, fortunately I had a card for the Uber driver and she could contact her on my cell phone). The Uber trip cost $150. The car had to be towed all the way to Hickory, NC about 70 miles away, the closest town with a Tesla charger.

The lady said she gave up on traveling in the NC mountains and went on home to NJ. She also said the next time she wanted to travel to the mountains she would rent a gas car.

I'm not sure how this is really any different from someone running out of gas in a rural area which I expect happens all the time and just never makes the news.

Fear of new technology. Range anxiety existed for the first gasoline cars too.
"At first, they had to have it shipped to stops along their route—often pharmacies, which already sold kerosene, alcohol, and other combustible liquids. There were no gas pumps of the sort a modern driver would recognize."

"From 1900 through the 1920s, drivers simply carried multiple 5-gallon cans of gasoline on their cars—often strapped to the running boards—to ensure they could cover the necessary distances."
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ears-ago-made-electric-car-charging-seem-easy
"American motorists had been able to pump their own gas at filling stations since 1905, but those were little more than a pump at the curbside. Before that, motorists bought gasoline in cans from places like pharmacies and blacksmith shops and filled up themselves."
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/short-picture-history-gas-stations-180967337/

I’m near the bottom of a mountain pass in rural Montana. Not long ago a friend came in my driveway towing new Tesla behind him. The owner (a doctor) was out of juice and needed the 50a plug on the RV hookup in my yard. They ended up leaving it with me overnight to get it charged up and my friend brought him back the next morning. I suppose I should have figured out what it cost me in electricity. For some reason, a lot of Tesla owners seem to think electricity is free. At least this one did...

Hi Troutnut,

It's too bad the owner didn't give you the $8 for the KWH's. It's like you giving a 3-4 gal can of gas to a stranded motorist. Very poor planning on his/her part. Not sure why it's relevant that he/she was a Dr? I'm a Dr and I would have repaid you. Do you know a lot of Tesla owners? None of the 10 of my friends that own Tesla's think electricity is free. Anyway I'm glad you are a good samaritan and I wish the Tesla owner was more considerate.

Best, Gary

Other electric options

She's probably just someone who liked the idea of an electric car, rather than being a true Tesla enthusiast.

There are more and more electric cars being provided to the public. Tesla is awesome but not for everyone.

Just watched a YouTube video from TopGear (I think) about VW creating electric cars that look like the Golf and other models. The idea is to appeal to a broader range. If memory serves correct it is the VW ID series.

Mini is also making an electric car that looks like a mini. Nothing fancy. It might not fit camping gear but, who knows, it might.

Audi is also starting to go electric too. There will be more options than just the Audi etron which is still very nice.

Don't think they are released in USA yet but with time there will be many more electric options.

I read the entire thread. I don't own a Tesla (I do own a Chevy Bolt, another EV), and "think" that each Tesla comes with not only a charging head (the part you put in the Tesla to charge the car up), but adapters for a wide combination of electrical outlets (there are lots of variations!!).

In any campground she was at she should have been able to get a 100% charge, using one of the more powerful outlets at the camp ground.

I suspect the lady was not sufficiently familiar with her Tesla and that was part of the issue.

Just a guess.

Rich

We both own Tesla Model 3’s with 325 miles of range. Living in Southern California we have superchargers everywhere, and we rarely need them anyway since we charge at home.

We recently took a trip to Yosemite. We thought about taking the Tesla but ultimately elected to rent an ICE car instead. There is a supercharger at the Yosemite hotel we stayed at, but then when we traveled into the park it got a bit more complicated. Ultimately we could have done it but decided that rather than putting over 1,000 miles on our Tesla we would just rent and keep things simple.

That’s a trip we might do once or twice a year and we’re glad to spend a few hundred dollars to avoid putting thousands of miles on our Teslas and possibly worrying about not having enough places to charge.

I cannot wait to get an electric car and then have my life revolve around plugging it in.

I cannot wait to get an electric car and then have my life revolve around plugging it in.

It’s comments like these that illustrate just how important it is for automobile manufacturers to educate prospective buyers on EV technology.

It takes me five seconds to plug my car in at night in my garage and I wake up with a full charge every morning. In exchange for those extra five seconds a day I never have to plan a trip to a gas station. And I never have to worry about what impact an event in Saudi Arabia or a change to a trade policy might have on the price of a gallon of gasoline.

I couldn’t imagine ever having to go back to dealing with oil and filter changes, routine inspections, annual smog checks, and all of the other things that make owning an ICE vehicle a hassle.

OP here, the lady with the Telsa called me to thank me for all the help last week and to let me know she made it home to NJ safely. I asked her for a few more details to try to understand how this could have happened. She said Thursday of last week she was in Mt Airy, NC, they had a charging station for electric cars but not specifically for a Tesla. She charge the Tesla all night and it finally showed a 300 mile charge. She thought that would be sufficient since she was going to Beech Mountain NC for the weekend less than 125 miles away. She climbed the mountain and got on the Blue Ridge Parkway and after only about 75 miles the charge on her Tesla only showed 8 miles. She had never had that kind of problem before--she thinks the altitude climb caused her to use almost 300 miles of charge even though she had driven less than 100 actual miles.

She also told me AAA had difficulty finding a tow truck that could tow a Tesla. They finally found a roll back but even that had difficulty because there was no way to tie the Tesla down. She had 3 other people with her, she had to hire an Uber driver to drive the 3 other people (there is only one Uber driver in our entire area, fortunately I had a card for the Uber driver and she could contact her on my cell phone). The Uber trip cost $150. The car had to be towed all the way to Hickory, NC about 70 miles away, the closest town with a Tesla charger.

The lady said she gave up on traveling in the NC mountains and went on home to NJ. She also said the next time she wanted to travel to the mountains she would rent a gas car.

Out of curiosity, I checked and saw that indeed the distance from Mt Airy to Beech Mountain is only 120 miles. In addition, the elevation climb is around 4,000 ft.

She said: "altitude climb caused her to use almost 300 miles of charge even though she had driven less than 100 actual miles".

Theoretically, the extra energy to lift a car weighting 4000 lbs up a height of 4000 ft is a mere 6 kWh. That is in addition to what the car normally uses on flat ground. Even if you triple or quadruple that idealistic 6 kWh, it should still not be as bad as what this woman experienced.

Something is very strange here. I hope other Tesla owners will chime in with their actual experience, so we know if this woman's experience is usual or not.

.............Theoretically, the extra energy to lift a car weighting 4000 lbs up a height of 4000 ft is a mere 6 kWh. That is in addition to what the car normally uses on flat ground. Even if you triple or quadruple that idealistic 6 kWh, it should still not be as bad as what this woman experienced.............
Plus shouldn't the regenerative braking gotten back some of that energy?

Plus shouldn't the regenerative braking gotten back some of that energy?

Not if the 4,000-ft is the net elevation change. She could be constantly climbing.

If she turned around and cruised downhill, she might have gotten back to lower ground to get charged.

Last edited:

I have 2 Tesla's. Plugging them in is as challenging as plugging your phone in.

One I charge at home, the other I mostly use the Tesla superchargers for the free electricity.

There's probably a dozen charging locations within 5 miles from me. Some are free.

Oil field strikes, smelly gas stations...glad to be over it.

Electric car sales are 5.3% in Ca. last I heard.

Why, did Tesla not offer free lifetime supercharging to early car buyers? It surely was "free" to some owners. :)

For other people who do not get "free juice", the car may have drawn 80 to 100 kWh to charge a depleted battery. In Montana, where electricity is not as expensive as in California, electricity may cost 12c/kWh. That's $12 that the owner could have offered.

Normal people have no idea what it takes to charge an EV. They may think it's like a few light bulbs. :)

Last edited:
If you charge at home, it’s easier than finding a gas station when away from your regulars...

Something is very strange here. I hope other Tesla owners will chime in with their actual experience, so we know if this woman's experience is usual or not.
WADR I don’t buy the OPs explanation, something is off though I’m sure the driver had a tough day.

Here’s a good thread (read the comments) with Tesla owners who claim climbing costs them an extra 6-7 miles of range for every 1000 feet climbing. Several are regularly driving Teslas through mountain passes out west, e.g. 9000 and 11000 feet. There are also good online tools to predict range while climbing in the thread too. I didn’t see a post that suggested you could consume 300 miles in 100 actual miles in mountains...

Interesting they also gleefully note they regain a lot of the charge lost with regen when they descend.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/range-performance-mountains-comparing-steep-uphill-descents

Last edited:
... Tesla owners who claim climbing costs them an extra 6-7 miles of range for every 1000 feet climbing...

Given that a highway mile costs something around 0.3-0.4kWh, then climbing 1000 ft costs about 2-3kWh additionally. That's not bad, compared to my computed theoretical number of 1.5 kWh per 1000 ft.

Back
Top Bottom