How do you get "IN"

You need to read two books:

1. "The Boglehead's guide to investing" by John C. Bogle.

2. "The only guide to a winning investment strategy you'll ever need" by Larry Swedroe.

JustCurious said:
You need to read two books:

1. "The Boglehead's guide to investing" by John C. Bogle.

2. "The only guide to a winning investment strategy you'll ever need" by Larry Swedroe.

The Boglehead book was written by 3 of the posters on the Die hards board. Not by Mr. Bogle.

brewer12345 said:
The only way to get anything like a real answer is to do a pro forma tax return, painful as it might be.

Speaking of which, when a fresh RE has no W2 income to speak of and starts
to think about filling up the low tax brackets with IRA conversions and cap-gain
harvesting ... it's helpful to know what your dividends and cap-gain distributions
are gonna be, but very hard to predict, since so many of them occur in December,
if not late December. Is there a good way around that one ? Since conversions
and cap-gaining must be done by December 31, the timing is a little tight !

JohnEyles said:
Speaking of which, when a fresh RE has no W2 income to speak of and starts
to think about filling up the low tax brackets with IRA conversions and cap-gain
harvesting ... it's helpful to know what your dividends and cap-gain distributions
are gonna be, but very hard to predict, since so many of them occur in December,
if not late December. Is there a good way around that one ? Since conversions
and cap-gaining must be done by December 31, the timing is a little tight !

Hmm, well, if most of your taxable investments are index funds or individual stocks and bonds, it should be pretty easy to figure out. If you are heavily invested in managed funds in a taxable account, you might get some advance notice by calling the fund company near the end of the year and asking.

I would not worry much about getting in. They will always accept your money. It's when you want to get out that you could have a problem.

Ha

Brat said:
I have no clue as to the ID of Rono, but he is a long-time poster there.
Rono's a good guy. He's been posting since Usenet had acoustic couplers for telephone handsets.

He's a Vietnam vet (Marine sergeant) who's still working for a few more years. Judging from their tax-deferred account either he or his spouse is a teacher but I don't know the details. He's been having circulation problems in one of his feet so he spends many many hours a day in front of the computer reading about investments. He's also a lifelong numismatist and he has a lot of experience/tolerance in precious metals. He's one of the very few posters in the world who can be enthusiastic about precious metals without sounding like a gold bug. He's quite pragmatic about the sector and he readily warns people that it's a wild ride.

His trading style tends to be toward the "hyperactive bunny" end of the scale, but he's quite conservative with their core retirement portfolio and he only trades a small portion of it in a tax-deferred account. Even so he racks up 400-500 trades/year in mutual funds, ETFs, & individual stocks. He was an expert in datelining until mutual funds started clamping down on the practice. He's strictly a momentum trader who scales into his winners and rides them until they drop-- the perfect customer for Pony Express Bob.

Aside from Gary Smith ("How I Trade For A Living"), Rono is the only other guy I know who is actively trading himself to ER and who discusses his losses as well as his gains. He knows a lot and is happy to teach it to people, but his style is only for a small fraction of the trading population.

Back
Top Bottom