How do you rate your insurance company?

USAA has grown to more than an Insurance company. That is part of the problem. You can get anything from auto insurance to a diamond ring to your home financed. My problem with USAA is they put themselves out as the 'great service' company for and of the military service member. It ain't so!

1. Brother was an Officer in the Army, qualified for USAA, I am a retired officer, Qualified for USAA. The problem was USAA did not give their service representatives the ability or authority to make a decision or to bump a dissatisfied customer to a higher authority. The correspondence I got from the presidents office clearly indicate they should have and their decision was wrong and they would be happy to write the two month policy. However, that letter came 7 months after the house closed! By the way, while his estate held the property, as the executor I was responsible for it. What I was asking was that USAA provide some of that great service they promise.
2. I financed two homes with USAA. The first was quick, clean and a pleasant experience. That is why 8 years latter I did it again. Based on the second experience, never again! By the way, I got an apology fromr the president for that one too........ You would think his office would get tired of that.

IMHO, the problem with USAA is the top has lost contact with the bottom. i.e. the basic member. USAA started as a company that insured Military Officers Only, and only auto insurance. It was formed by a group of Army officers that found it hard to get insurance based on the army lifestyle. USAA has lost it heritage and become just another big company selling multiple products to a diverse clientel. As I said, Finance, Stocks, Bonds, Diamonds, Cruises, Insurance, you name it and they will try to make a buck on it.

I still have most of my financial dealings, insurance, and banking with USAA. I am just not as much a “USAA is a great company putting the interest of its members first”. If you can get to the Presidents level, you will at least usually get an apology for the sloppy service.

We're also trying to get liability insurance to rent out our fully set up concrete RV pad with full hookups, nice shade trees etc on our one acre property. So far no luck, though we can get insurance to rent out a room in our house through several companies - not Farmers - but we don't want to do that. Anyone have any suggestions? If we can't get insurance, any opinions about a Release of Liability Form? Any info appreciated.

I'm a PA insurance agent, and for the coverage you're describing (rental of the RV unit), we use Foremost. If you want a number for them, feel free to PM me. I'm not positive that they work out of CA, but it's worth looking into. They're the only company that we know of that will cover an RV or mobile home that is a rental unit. You may also be able to use Progressive for that type of coverage, but I've never attempted it, we come across the situation so rarely.

Also-and I know I'm biased, HOWEVER (and this is for everyone)...before simply dropping your agent because you feel neglected/taken for granted/etc. Give them a call and TELL THEM you're unhappy. I can't even tell you how many times we've lost business due to client dissatisfaction that we didn't even KNOW about. I know that I, personally, I have over 900 clients that I am responsible for, and many have 2 or more policies. This, along with quoting, invoicing, and general maintenence means that I don't always have time to give the individual attention I'd like to give, BUT, if I get a call, it becomes my priority. Unfortunately, I don't have time to call 900 clients just to make sure they're happy with their renewal premium. Call your agent and make him aware that you're shopping your policies. If he deals with more than one company (some agents are exclusive agents, dealing with only one) then he should be able to get you some prices with other companies. If not, he might be able to at least advise you on where you might be able to make changes, or discounts you may be eligible for that you're not aware of. Most agents will do whatever they can to keep your business. Now if he doesn't seem to care about keeping your business, then you need to walk. Oh BTW, we're a Travelers agent and I happen to also have my personal insurance with them (auto, home, umbrella) and I've been VERY happy with them (especially their prices).

Oh and by the way, Travelers also offers a discount on their homeowners policies if you're retired, called the Prime Time Discount. I'm not sure if it applies in all states, but it's worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom