How do you wash towels and sheets?

I wash everything in cold water and hang to dry 9 months out of the year.

Wow..that's a long time to have clothes on the line.

I wash everything on cold. I add vinegar in the rinse. When weather allows, I line dry in the sun.

Vinegar also helps the sheets/towels not get as "crunchy" (stiff) from the line drying.

Between the detergent, vinegar rinse, and disinfecting sunshine I thing the towels and sheets come out sanitized.

I wash my sheets and towels with hot water and a little detergent and I dry them on hot.
That's they way I have always done it since I have been married (48 years) and that is the way my age 90 mother does it--she said it is the way to kill the germs. I did not realize there was any other way. My sheets and towels last forever. I think I last bought some 15 years ago.

towels and whites: detergent and warm water, rinse cold.

colored: detergent and cold water.

sheets same as above. everything goes with second rinse as our son seems to be sensitive to any detergent residue.

Dryer: synthetics on medium, everything else on high heat.

I have washed in cold water with Tide for years, in a very old washing machine.

No issues here.

Good comments. After obsessive research the dryer is the important part of killing germs. And cleaning the washing machine with bleach periodically by running a cycle without clothes, just bleach and water. Drying clothes completely at a high temp for at least 28 minutes does the trick.

Good comments. After obsessive research the dryer is the important part of killing germs. And cleaning the washing machine with bleach periodically by running a cycle without clothes, just bleach and water. Drying clothes completely at a high temp for at least 28 minutes does the trick.

Yes to all of the above!

I do. They smell great when they come in.

In fact I hardly ever use the dryer, unless it's raining.

I figure any germ that survives the wash cycle, plus the tea tree oil which I add, deserves to live.

My mother used to hang the sheets out in the sunshine to dry, which probably helps to sanitize them too. I never do that myself.

Soap is good enough IMO. It’s not like you are doing hospital laundry.

+1. we've had three sets of sheets for years and alternate them. each set is washed with tide in hot water. no loss of elasticity or comfort.

Never occurred to me to NOT use hot water don't you need that to kill dust mites? I have horrid allergies - wash everything in hot.

Never occurred to me to NOT use hot water don't you need that to kill dust mites? I have horrid allergies - wash everything in hot.
The dryer will kill dust mites too. But hot water helps. It makes me think of ticks. The dryer kills ticks, not the washing machine.

Back
Top Bottom