How ER Dream Changed Your Attitude Towards W*rk

I'll admit, that as I've gotten more financially independent, I've taken my job less and less seriously. Now, to be fair, that little hiccup in late 2008/early 2009 did humble me a bit, but not for long. Back in 2007, the work situation here was getting really bad, with a few employees that did nothing but gripe and moan, try to get people they didn't like in trouble, and just make the office a miserable place. One of them tried to frame me, saying I created a "hostile working environment". I got called before management, and they wouldn't even let me get a word in edgewise, basically taking this woman's word as the gospel and trying to twist around everything I said. And then, a few hours later, I found out that it was this woman's birthday, so that made me think that she wanted to put a thorn in my side, just as a little gift to herself. As irrational as that may sound, I wouldn't put it past her.

Well, about two months later, this woman just went off on me for no reason, saying that I interrupted her when she was speaking and just kept going on and on. I love it how the ones that won't let you get a word in edgewise, and constantly interrupt YOU, are the first to pitch a fit when they, themselves get interrupted.

Well, I shut down my computer, left the building, got on my cell phone, called one of the bigwigs in my company, and pretty much told him and his cronies to take a flying leap at a rolling donut. Although I didn't use the word "leap". I forget exactly how the conversation went, but I told him I didn't need this crap anymore, and if it doesn't change pronto, I'm going to clock out, go home, watch Green Acres reruns all day while everything at work falls apart, and then when the remaining employees turn everything into a rat-nest (again, I didn't use the word "nest"), and they come crawling to me begging, on their hands and knees, I *might* consider coming back.

And I was ready to go through with it, too. But, somehow, I got one of my best raises ever that year, and that woman, and some of her other cronies, were suddenly a little extra nice to me, but in a fake, Betty White/Sue-Ann-Nivens sort of way. I have a feeling that the boss realized I was more than pulling my weight around the office, while some of the others are more or less just baggage. And our gov't customer would have his hide if he let me walk. So I'm guessing the nicer-than-normal raise was an incentive to get me to stay, and those employees got a talking to.

In general, I've just been taking the attitude lately that life's too short to deal with crap. But unfortunately, I don't think TVLand is re-running Green Acres anymore, so I think I'll stick around at the office until they have something worthwhile on the tube. :p

I've always had to keep my perspective of work under wraps since it's not popular. >:D

To me it's just a necessary evil in life (hence I wish I was from old money or had a trust fund so as to not have to work in the first place) and I only work for a paycheck. I don't feel the need to hang around and gossip at the watercooler, or to go drinking with coworkers after hours. I do not find any kind of work satisfying or fulfilling; no one is going to pay me to do the things I love to do. And I don't see how "independence" = earning your own money. To me, independence has always meant not having to work at all.

*has flame shield at the ready*

But thankfully I'm getting better at faking enthusiasm for work, even though I couldn't care less. It's like learning how to be an effective actress. I'm working with a job recruiter to get my foot in the door at a place that'll have predictable hours and decent pay. I'm still struggling with the tradeoff issue that GoodSense mentioned a while back: "When you have free time (in your 20s) you have no money. When you have money (in your 40s and 50s) you have no time." To me it's like choosing between food and water - I want both in abundance, heh. :tongue:

I'm still struggling with the tradeoff issue that GoodSense mentioned a while back: "When you have free time (in your 20s) you have no money. When you have money (in your 40s and 50s) you have no time." To me it's like choosing between food and water - I want both in abundance, heh. :tongue:

In my 60's, FINALLY I have both time and money. Unfortunately I am no longer young. You just can't win. :LOL: I think my ideal would be to have money, time, and youth. Since that has eluded me, I would say that having time and money (as I have had for the past five months) is a really excellent second best.

I'm surprised noone's mentioned this yet, but you should consider making money the old-fashioned way: marry into it!

I've always had to keep my perspective of work under wraps since it's not popular. >:D

To me it's just a necessary evil in life (hence I wish I was from old money or had a trust fund so as to not have to work in the first place) and I only work for a paycheck. I don't feel the need to hang around and gossip at the watercooler, or to go drinking with coworkers after hours. I do not find any kind of work satisfying or fulfilling; no one is going to pay me to do the things I love to do. And I don't see how "independence" = earning your own money. To me, independence has always meant not having to work at all.

*has flame shield at the ready*

But thankfully I'm getting better at faking enthusiasm for work, even though I couldn't care less. It's like learning how to be an effective actress. I'm working with a job recruiter to get my foot in the door at a place that'll have predictable hours and decent pay. I'm still struggling with the tradeoff issue that GoodSense mentioned a while back: "When you have free time (in your 20s) you have no money. When you have money (in your 40s and 50s) you have no time." To me it's like choosing between food and water - I want both in abundance, heh. :tongue:

Thanks for picking up this thread! I just loved reading everyone's thoughts. My work place is like Celany's. If my company wasn't only 10 people, I would have suspected that we were coworkers!

I think my somewhat arms-length attitude certainly helped me cope with the drama at work. One of my bosses was recently fired. I felt bad for the coworkers who have been kissing his butt for the last 2 years. As a culture, we spend so much of our energy and time worrying if we are pleasing our bosses. Most of it is completely useless.

I am having to fake enthusiasm at work, too. When I met with my boss a few days ago, we had the same old discussion about "where you see yourself in 5 years." Although we likely won't be at FIRE yet, I know it's highly unlikely that I will be with this company. Probably not the best thing to say at a performance evaluation!

I'm surprised noone's mentioned this yet, but you should consider making money the old-fashioned way: marry into it!

Oh, the temptation! :D While I don't think I'd marry for money alone, finances would definitely play an overall factor.

GoodSense said:
I am having to fake enthusiasm at work, too. When I met with my boss a few days ago, we had the same old discussion about "where you see yourself in 5 years." Although we likely won't be at FIRE yet, I know it's highly unlikely that I will be with this company. Probably not the best thing to say at a performance evaluation!

Can definitely relate. How ironic that we're supposed to be honest at interviews, performance evaluations, etc. and yet we can't say what we really want to do! It's all about developing and maintaining an effective smoke and mirrors routine.

I can definitly relate to what you are saying. I only turn 30 this month and I struggle daily with work. I do not play the "game" well and am a no bullshit kind of gal! Do I stay at the job that I make good money which will enable ER sooner, or do something else that will probably not pay as well. My main problem is I do not know what the "something else" would be.

I played the game well (a long time ago) and hated it. Moved to "something else" that I loved, made lots more money and then made FIRE happen.

The "something else" where my no BS trait was an asset took some brainstorming and trying different things.

Find what you love. In some cases, your love and dedication for it will result in more money which is only a side bonus because you love what you do.

Back
Top Bottom