How has your portfolio done in 2011?

Final number: +8.85% XIRR, about 30-35% stocks, no withdrawals.

Best investment: LOW (+35% since I bought it in 08/11/2011)
Worst investment: DW's company stock (-56% for the year)

US stocks: +16.7%
International stocks: -7.9%
TIPS:+52%
Nominal, taxable bonds:+3.64% (return was dragged down by PIMCO total return fund - the only bond option in DW's 401K)
Munis:+9.70%
CDs:+4.5%
I-bonds: +1.57%
Cash: +0.03%

This was a rare year when everything was in the black! Everything except the I-bonds is in a mutual fund.

+5% I-bonds
+10% Dividend equities
+7% Corporate bonds
+13% TIPS
+1% S&P 500 index

Overall we're +7% on a weighted average basis. These numbers are pure performance (e.g. contributions do not increase these numbers).

Last edited:
Final number: -6.5%.

Not making any withdraws. Almost all of the loss is non-us investments which were -14.6%.

T

However, looking at my core portfolio which is all vanguard, I am 60% Total Bond, 42% Total Stock and 18% Total International - the composite return on that YTD is only 0.97%.

You did what I did a while back. Increased my assets by getting to be more than 100%. Or did I add wrong.

I am up 1.18% in 2011. It would be 3.5% if I adjust for spending of dividends. Moving more $$ into Long Term Cal. Tax free bonds helped, but it was a tough year.

TSP accounts up less than .5%. IRAs up 16.4%. Overall up approx 8.4%. No taxable investment accounts.

After withdrawals, up 4.3% for the year. No complaints considering my conservative overall mix. My biggest stock winner this year was MCD. Bought early in the year and it closed up almost 36%. Too bad I didn't buy a crap load of it.:(

Up 4.3% after withdrawal and still complaining! :nonono: ;)

I do not own MCD, nor follow it, but have held BMY (Bristol-Myers) which pays even better dividends. Just now compare the two, and they tracked fairly well over last year. In fact, they also tracked well over 3 years, but not over last 5 years. BMY has higher volatilities, however.

This is not the first time I have observed some strangely strong correlation between two stocks of completely different industries, over some particular periods of time. Pure coincidence, or are there some underlying reasons? Could it be simply that investors flocked to dividend stocks of any kind? Both currently boast higher P/E than the S&P as the whole. Hmm... May have to pull trigger on this BMY thing...

In any event, I certainly do not have enough of BMY, hence my poor performance for 2011.

Last edited:
+5.5%. Winners: Bonds and AAPL, losers: TSM and International. Spent 2.8%. Phew, another year in the black!

Final numbers... +1.6% includes small withdrawl.

Final number: +8.85% XIRR, about 30-35% stocks, no withdrawals.

Best investment: LOW (+35% since I bought it in 08/11/2011)
Worst investment: DW's company stock (-56% for the year)

US stocks: +16.7%
International stocks: -7.9%
TIPS:+52%
Nominal, taxable bonds:+3.64% (return was dragged down by PIMCO total return fund - the only bond option in DW's 401K)
Munis:+9.70%
CDs:+4.5%
I-bonds: +1.57%
Cash: +0.03%

Morningstar shows PTRAX to be +3.91% for the year. How could that drag your bond returns down to 3.64%?

Morningstar shows PTRAX to be +3.91% for the year. How could that drag your bond returns down to 3.64%?

The Morningstar number is meaningless for those of us who added to/withdrew from the fund throughout the year.

2011 XIRR for PTRAX was 3.01% for me.

a paltry 1.9%

but robust compared to my more paltry 0.9% for 2011.

Fixed income 4.44%; Domestic equities 2.41%; International equities -16.68% :( and a 40%/48%/12% target AA

3 year (2009-2011): 11.26%
5 year (2007-2011: 0.86%
10 year (2002-2011): 3.44%

All are IRRs so essentially average annual total returns after factoring in additional investments and withdrawals from Quicken investment performance report. I've been more attentive to AA more recently so some of the longer periods also reflect AA inattentiveness.

I'm up a whopping 12.2% this year from my portfolio which consists of about 75% dividend stocks. Actually, this number would be closer to 20% if I had followed my gut and moved more money out of equities just before the debt ceiling debacle in the Spring. As it turned out, because of discussions on this board, I was jolted back to reality and only did some minor tweaking. All of the comments I got on this board about my plans to temporarily flee to safety were theoretically accurate and I was compelled to yield to the academics. But boy did it hurt in lost opportunities!!

Actually, this number would be closer to 20% if I had followed my gut and moved more money out of equities just before the debt ceiling debacle in the Spring. As it turned out, because of discussions on this board, I was jolted back to reality and only did some minor tweaking. All of the comments I got on this board about my plans to temporarily flee to safety were theoretically accurate and I was compelled to yield to the academics. But boy did it hurt in lost opportunities!!
If you are going to throw us under the bus when we're 'wrong' don't forget to give us due credit when we're 'right'... :)

Up 4.3% after withdrawal and still complaining! :nonono: ;)

I do not own MCD, nor follow it, but have held BMY (Bristol-Myers) which pays even better dividends. Just now compare the two, and they tracked fairly well over last year. In fact, they also tracked well over 3 years, but not over last 5 years. BMY has higher volatilities, however.

This is not the first time I have observed some strangely strong correlation between two stocks of completely different industries, over some particular periods of time. Pure coincidence, or are there some underlying reasons? Could it be simply that investors flocked to dividend stocks of any kind? Both currently boast higher P/E than the S&P as the whole. Hmm... May have to pull trigger on this BMY thing...

In any event, I certainly do not have enough of BMY, hence my poor performance for 2011.

Were never happy.

img_1146168_0_8baddf207a7ea31cb7dd2a170ed92512.jpg

Wow, BMY up 33% this year. I own ABT and although it had a nice return, not that good. Oh well..........

Back
Top Bottom