How Many Devices have you Connected to your Home Internet?

My Fing report shows 47 Online and 48 Offline.

https://app.fing.com/internet/

ScreenShot_20230702071313.jpeg

4 devices - 1 tablet, 2 smartphones, 1 Firestick

Only 9, four computers, two phones, a printer, a Chromecast TV dongle, and a Kindle.

Our house thermostat is supposed to be web accessible, but doesn't stay connected due to WiFi signal strength.

26, not counting “3 Guys from Quantico Pizza” that just popped up as an available network.

I have no idea, but as few as possible. I'm not really into the "smart home" concept at all. In other words, Alexa can go jump in a lake as far as I'm concerned, and so on.

OK, I suppose there are a couple of laptops, a cell phone, 9+ video game consoles, a Kindle, an iPad, a dead Firestick, two TV's.... maybe a few other devices but I'm too lazy to check. So, I guess 17+ devices.

8 tops. Usually just using 5 - two or three at a time. Just two of us at home. 1 TV, 2 cell phones, 3 kindles- barely use at all. Three laptops.

1. personal PC
2. laptop from work (still WFH)
3. Chrome Box (paired w/TV)
4. Obi phone adapter
5. tablet
6. cell phone
7. watch

4 phones
2 tablets
2 chromebooks
1 laptop
2 pcs
Pool pump system aqualink
3 smart bulbs
2 smart indoor timers
Ring system (doorbells and overall alarm)
Xbox
2 TV's
Withings Scale
I think our garage door opener?
Ecobee thermostat
Echo thing we never use really

I take it we're not also counting bluetooth things that connect to our devices? I have a couple of speakers and a fitbit.

No alexa or smart appliances, no interest there.

Last edited:
I had no idea there were smart lightbulbs, etc... I'll add that to list of things I'll probably never have. LOL. I have no problem turning the lights on manually... and we have old school timers for when we travel and want the lights to cycle on/off. (Which we also use for the christmas lights.

I like smart bulbs for the hardwired outside stuff. The only way on/off is a wall switch, so I can't put a regular timer on those. The smart bulbs let me have them on a timer, also I have all of them go on and off together. The lights on my back patio have switches in different rooms, so just doing it on my phone saves me going outside and realizing I have to go back in and the other side of the house.

Wow. This is an eyeopener for me. Didn't even know so many gadgets and interconnect methods exist. My apartment complex has an excellent wifi network inclusive, and saving a 100 a month on internet was part of the justification.

I've never had a tv, so I only have 3. phone, tablet and computer.

I like smart bulbs for the hardwired outside stuff. The only way on/off is a wall switch, so I can't put a regular timer on those. The smart bulbs let me have them on a timer, also I have all of them go on and off together. The lights on my back patio have switches in different rooms, so just doing it on my phone saves me going outside and realizing I have to go back in and the other side of the house.

I also like the smart bulbs because the ones I bought allow for dimming and different colors. I really like one of my night lights to be dim and blue. Also, I have a lamp that had an in line dimmer switch that went bad. Because of that, it didn’t work. So, I spliced it out. At least then it worked - if it was plugged in, it was on - period. When smart switches came out, that solved the problem. Now, with a wifi bulb, I have full control back with that lamp.

According to my XFinity app, I have a total of 31 devices, which includes Apple devices, Amazon Echo's, LG Refrigerator, Washer, Dryer, TV's, SONOS Audio, Roku's, NIXPlay Screens, Printers, EUfY Robovac, Blink Video and Computers.

What was curious is that I have 3 devices (AEA8871972D, B649A7B7D416 and 825CF453F05F of which I have no clue. If anybody has any idea how to identify these devices, please do share.

Thanks!

It's amazinng how quickly they add up. I house came with wi-fi enable smoke detectors (eleven of them) and the house is broken into six zones for Heat/AC. Each zone has a wi-fi thermostat.

Add in the doorbell and 3 security cameras and we're at 20 devices before any phones/computers/tablets/smart tvs are counted.

Our network app sees 43 devices currently.

According to my XFinity app, I have a total of 31 devices, which includes Apple devices, Amazon Echo's, LG Refrigerator, Washer, Dryer, TV's, SONOS Audio, Roku's, NIXPlay Screens, Printers, EUfY Robovac, Blink Video and Computers.

What was curious is that I have 3 devices (AEA8871972D, B649A7B7D416 and 825CF453F05F of which I have no clue. If anybody has any idea how to identify these devices, please do share.

Thanks!

In the router, it typically tells you the Mac ID. Various sites will tell you who made that Mac ID. Sometimes that is helpful. Other times, the Mac ID will be some company you have not heard of.

Have you tried typing the IP address into your browser?

Question: Have you found it useful to have a wifi connected washer, dryer or refrigerator?

Jeez. I'm surprised by the high counts here.

I only have a few:

- desktop PC
- cell phone
- Smart TV

Once in a blue moon, I'll plug in my PS5, but I don't use it often.

In the router, it typically tells you the Mac ID. Various sites will tell you who made that Mac ID. Sometimes that is helpful. Other times, the Mac ID will be some company you have not heard of.

Have you tried typing the IP address into your browser?

Question: Have you found it useful to have a wifi connected washer, dryer or refrigerator?

Thanks for the input and I will try your suggestions. Regarding your question, my wife finds it useful to know when the washer/dryer is completed (text to iPhone) and when she needs to clean the washer or remove the lint from the dryer. I personally find it useful to know when my grand-daughter has left the refrigerator door open.:)

My wife did not think smart lighting was necessary or needed.

We were redoing a kitchen layout - and she wanted a 3rd switch into the room to dim (after we finished all drywall work) - it is a large kitchen with 3 entry points. There is (was)no such thing as a 4-way dimmer (for 3rd switch), not to mention the drywall repair work needed again.

Smart switches like Lutron caseta with a pico remote - can do that easy.

As it was installed - she loves to “verbally” tell lights on/off how much to dim, etc - as she works in kitchen, enters/exits, etc. bringing groceries in from garage then telling lights to come on (even a routine that does this automatically)

Adding under and over cabinet lighting in 6 different zones - with dimming - with verbal commands makes ambient and mood lighting nice.

Having an exterior motion control light by front door turn on other exterior flood lights is nice (and Vice Versa for visitors coming).

None of it was necessary - except the 4-way dimmer via smart. It is cheaper sometimes to address layout changes via smart vs physically trying to re-route/rewire wiring around a finished ceiling, exterior wall, etc. there are some intrinsic values.

All of our smart lighting still has a physical switch so it is not dependent on “smarts”.

Almost all of lighting & outlets is now via an intranet bridge - so internet is not needed - just an internal router with wifi. They still can (by choice and setting) also be internet so I can control out of home. For example - we are showing home for sale and I remotely change thermostat for more friendly settings before showings and stage lighting, set house music in 4 rooms, ceiling fans , etc. After - return thermostat to less costly setting and turn off lighting, music, etc. (Actually I set up 2 routines - 1 - before, 1 after).

Yes, I was an engineer. Probably over thinking - but my wife loves the ease now.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but wanted to chime in. I'm retired from IT specializing in virtualization. So, I have a home lab that I can spin up and destroys as needed which at times can account for about 20 more computers. I just checked and I have 27 wired and 33 wireless. Most of what I have is security cameras and smart devices. I also have a virtual home lab to putter around in. I’ve has had up to a dozen and a half devices. Today there're are 9 VM's.

must be a luddite. Only have 5.

We don't have home internet. We use our phones as a hotspot to get online. When turned on, my phone picks up the one TV and my laptop. DWs phone is the same but will pick up her Nook if it's on. I think the only other device we have that would hook up is a Blu-ray player, but never have.

To tell the truth.... I had to look up many things even listed.... I going back under my rock.

Last edited:
3 laptops
1 wired Wi-Fi access point
3 smartphones
2 tablets
3 Wi-Fi connected Rokus
2 smart TVs
1 garage door opener

We don't have home internet. We use our phones as a hotspot to get online. When turned on, my phone picks up the one TV and my laptop. DWs phone is the same but will pick up her Nook if it's on. I think the only other device we have that would hook up is a Blu-ray player, but never have.

To tell the truth.... I had to look up many things even listed.... I going back under my rock.
:):)

I just looked and my wifi has 49 clients right now. We have a smart house (DIY) with mesh wifi that we can control with Alexa or Google home. The grandkids love it when we turn lights different colors. In our last house we had a Control4 system, but it was expensive and a bit clunky, better for commercial applications. We are both engineers and have fun tinkering with smart devices, which is good because my dining room lights are currently not recognized by Alexa despite out best efforts ��*♀️

Back
Top Bottom