How much do you spend per month on fitness?

$860 a month for DH and me: $4715 gym membership, $5K personal trainer, and $600 for 2 pair walking shoes/year. Have a good selection of resistance bands, balls, rollers, weights, etc. that we've purchased over the years. I categorize the protein drinks under groceries as we tend to eat low on the protein side and use it to supplement as well as after a workout.

Our gym is more like a poor man's country club with 3 pools, a restaurant, tennis, pickleball, basketball courts and the like. More than once have I been corrected when calling it a 'gym' rather that 'the club' :LOL:.

I'm not surprised to find people here not spending much.

Some of the people on the original thread were spending $500+ a month no joke. That is more than my last car payment (admittedly my car is old).

That is a date screening fee for young people. Kind of like a country club but cheaper. If you are there you must have a decent job and be reasonably healthy. Good dating material.

Free gym membership via our medicare plan, but generally we walk in the neighborhood. We have a nice little park one way down our street and an elementary school with a track the other way. Do simple stretches at home.
So good sneakers yearly for DH and I.
DH drinks kombucha for his gut daily, they can be expensive, but preventing any problems is priceless.

I track my DW and my exercise expenses which includes ski pass for me, two gym memberships and golf fees for me. $3286 the last 12 months. No new golf or ski equipment in that cost

My on line yoga membership is $60. I do have to buy walking shoes twice a year or so, but not much $$ there. My bike is fairly old but works well and I do swim in our pool daily in the warmer months. That is all paid for already.

I didn't read this as the cost of equipment purchased years ago, but rather current expenses such as membership fees.
The OP specifically mentioned the cost of running shoes. Those dollars you spend on equipment, bikes, etc. in the past and going into the future, still adds up to $$$ that shouldn't be ignored.
My on line yoga membership is $60
Is that per year?

Last edited:
Fitness is a passion of mine, so it gets prioritized. $180/month for the gym I go to (it's all coach-led classes of 5-10 people, and I go at least 4x/week). I buy workout clothes maybe 2x/year, but I'd guess it's $50/month on average. Shoes are more expensive - $150/pair, and maybe 3 pair a year, so $33/month. All in about $263, but if you count massages as fitness (some would argue that), then it's probably another $200/month.

So far this year.... $60. on a new pair of hiking shoes.

It should be my only expense.

Planet Fitness memberships have gone up. Black Card is $25/month + $50/yr annual fee. Wife gets in free as a guest.
MY Parkinson's Boxing Class meets 3 day per week for 2 hours and is $43/month
A new pair of shoes once a year.

Round it off to $100/month

As others have touched on, what is "fitness" as opposed to a physical recreational activity? I know gym memberships are usually considered fitness, because unless one is really into some particular aspect of it, we join gyms to maintain general fitness. But beyond that, I have long been uncertain. Tennis memberships and gear? Hiking? Skiing? Scuba diving? What about travel to the places where we do these things? I think of the latter stuff more as hobbies than fitness activities.

I don't know. I give myself pretty much free reign to spend what I need to if it will help me get out there and run, walk, ski, or do whatever else to keep fit. Within reason. I'm not going to pay $55K to run 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents, but if I want to spend 3-4 nights in Boston to run that marathon (which I haven't qualified for in a few years), no problem. And I don't get the latest and greatest in all gear, but I'll spend $60 for Patagonia shorts for races and long runs because they chafe less than $30 shorts that I'll use for shorter runs.

I spend essentially $0 (okay, maybe $50/yr on bike stuff). My DW spends many hundreds of dollars a month on yoga/fitness coach/etc.

For the record, I think she is doing it right, and I am doing it wrong. She does the work, and I don't.

Over the last 10 years, I purchased a StairMaster (used for $350 or so), a used Concept2 Rower (used for $300 or so), a new treadmill ($1,500) and a new Concept2 Skierg ($1,300?). Maybe $500 to $1,000 for other equipment. Spread over 120 months this is about $37 a month. Fitness your way at $29 a month plus the membership that comes with my Medicare.

My guess is $240 a year on shoes.

Plus I have a whole host of electronics such as headphones, heart rate monitors, SUUNTO watches, etc. They last so long that I would say $10 a month.

Round up to $100 a month.

Approx. $350/year for a YMCA membership (that includes weight room, aerobic rooms, pool, tennis courts, basketball court etc). About one pair of shoes ($60-$80) every other year. I have equipment at home but prefer to go to the gym.

Recently spent a few hundred on adjustable dumbbells. I have no ongoing fitness costs for my almost daily exercise program.

I pay annually, but my gym (I use it only for swimming) averages to $35/month. I average 1 1/2 running shoes per year, so that's roughly another 25/month. I often drive to a nearby park to run, and drive further to do group bike rides with some friends. Estimate $50 per month in gas to get to gym, park and bike rides. Add in miscellaneous, I guesstimate $120/month total; worth every penny!

If you don't count driving to the mountains to hike, a Y membership and a couple of pieces of clothing and a pair of sneakers a year.

If you do count hiking, how much does 6K or more miles a year of driving cost?

$40/month for L.A. Fitness membership-they have a pool. That will be included in my Medigap plan which will start in September. I have to drive 6 miles round trip to the pool, five days a week, but half the time I include other errands (gas/shopping at BJ's), a college flute choir I help with, etc. which works out to $12/mo, so basically $55/month. I'm not including clothing, because I wear the same things around the house I wear to the gym and I have a backyard pool, so extra swimsuit cost is negligible.

Apple Fitness + is embedded in our Apple One subscription (TV, Music, News, Games, Fitness +, 1 TB backup storage) for $37.95 a month.

I'm not a huge fan of the monthly charge, but Fitness + is well worth the prorated amount. I can use it on the TV, iPad and iPhone. Home or traveling.

Per month, that's tough. I bike, run, run on our treadmill, and lift free weights. I've only paid for a gym membership a few months of my life, prefer to do it on my time and my plan.

So electricity for the treadmill, I finally bought my first new bike tire after 10 yrs of off/on riding, and a few new pairs of shoes in the past decade.

My fitness spend was around $250 USD per month last year. No club membership or equipment fee (except for balls/shoes/paddles, etc) but I played in a bunch of volleyball leagues, tournaments and drop-ins. I will be spending much more this year (triple?) as I am fully transitioning to pickleball and recently ordered a pickleball machine and I have been getting private lessons/renting courts for drills/considering joining a club...

I'm retired and my life revolves around sports (pickleball is my new passion), so I'm not particularly doing this for fitness (for health) but I'm doing it because I just love it. But health benefits are definitely a plus.

Last edited:
We both have black card memberships at planet fitness paid for by our insurance.

$860 a month for DH and me: $4715 gym membership, $5K personal trainer, and $600 for 2 pair walking shoes/year. Have a good selection of resistance bands, balls, rollers, weights, etc. that we've purchased over the years. I categorize the protein drinks under groceries as we tend to eat low on the protein side and use it to supplement as well as after a workout.

Our gym is more like a poor man's country club with 3 pools, a restaurant, tennis, pickleball, basketball courts and the like. More than once have I been corrected when calling it a 'gym' rather that 'the club' :LOL:.
Why is your gym membership so expensive ($4715)? Does it include the initiation fee or do you pay that every month? What do you get for it?

$183/mo. for Swim and Tennis club. Has 11 indoor courts and 6 outdoor. I don't count shoes or clothes I wear on and off the courts or any other equipment, supplies etc...which is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom