How much do you spend per month on fitness?

I'm not surprised to find people here not spending much.

Some of the people on the original thread were spending $500+ a month no joke. That is more than my last car payment (admittedly my car is old).
Insane. I don't think I have a hobby I spend that much per month on besides travel averaged out throughout the year. I really want to buy a spa, hardly "workout" related, but therapeutic. That's more BTD though.

We have a three year old Ifit connected treadmill that was $1100. Since then we have spent $700 on Ifit family subscriptions for 3 of us. $1800 /3/48 = $12.50 each per month paid out for 12 months from now.

We belong to Planet Fitness. $10.66 each per month plus the annual fee which is $44 or $49, I forget which. So right around $120/year total.

Fitness Connection gym membership: about $170/year.
Yoga classes (some in-person, some on ZOOM): about $800/year.
Walking shoes and orthotic inserts (~3 pairs): about $400/year

$120 a year. Insurance reimbursement. So it’s free. Don’t bother paying more for a fancy gym. Weights weigh the same elsewhere. It’s what you do at the gym on a consistent basis that matters.

Last edited:
We have a family membership at a local fitness center for $90/month. Because we are "charter members", our contract sates our rate will never change, and it has not for over 20 years. One of the benefits was that all of our children and their immediate families can also use the center free of charge, even as adults and no longer living in the area. In addition to the various workout machines, free weights, treadmills, and stationary bicycles, they have 2 swimming pools, basketball court, pickleball court, many classes and lessons that we can take for free as charter members, etc. For us it has been worth it in the long run.

We want to support this place, particularly as it is not part of a chain. They definitely put money into maintaining the place. When covid hit they refused to charge us while they were closed (even though we and apparently the majority of the members said they could), they felt it was morally wrong to charge us when they could not provide services. The owners and staff attitudes are ones we want to support.

I also have a golf course membership than is currently about $1000/year. Since I try to play at least 2-3 round every week (including during the winter when it gets over 40F and sunny), I play more than 100 rounds/year at this course, so my cost is less than $10/round. 95% of the rounds here I walk, so it is a good workout to stay fit.

DW and I used to attend boot camp classes which we really enjoyed. Those were $250 a month. But Covid killed that off. Now I go to 24 hr fitness for free (Silver Sneakers) and she pays $20 a month. I paid for a few personal training sessions beyond that. So it's all pretty cheap right now.

I checked with a personal trainer for "seniors" and it was $45 each half hour. Minimum 2 sessions a week they prefer 3. I can see where this would add up faster than I could pay and that doesn't even include a gym - it was private. Not going to be booking any there. . . No idea if that is a going rate or high.

I've been looking for more personal trainers and I can see how people spend so much. Costs can be as much as $129/hour it looks like. . .

It isn't that I want a trainer. It is just I think if I ever graduate from physical therapy I am not going to be "well". . . or as well as I'd like. I hope I'm wrong.

Planet Fitness for me - $159 per year

Kombucha ~ $1.85 per day for a bottle. A little extravagant but it really helps my digestion.

Fresh vs. Processed foods - I don't do organic, but try to buy more fresh vs. freezer/fast food meals. That costs more, just not sure how much more.
If you're interested, you can buy a Kombucha "mother" (Cultures for Health sells them online) and make your own kombucha. My DH has had kombucha going for years. I don't like the stuff myself, but I do make a water kefir that I add lemon to and it tastes like fizzy lemonade. It makes a quart every couple of days...I've had my water kefir grains going for maybe a year...

Typically about $4,000 a year, if I include everything (for the two of us). YMCA membership is $85 per month. A used bike every couple of years for around $1,000. My wife does Barre classes that run around $150 per month (so worth it - she is in great shape!). Tennis court rental in the winter (summer is free) as well as some classes. It all adds up but it’s definitely a priority of ours.

We spend a lot in this category.

A while back we joined a very nice, very full service gym/spa set up. $185/mo. We each go 3-4x per week.

DW hired a trainer to help drive her surgery rehab and illness. $140/session. Best money we ever spent.

I just injured myself and am having to redo how I exercise. I’m going to start working with her guy. If I had a trainer earlier, I may not have injured myself.

So we will be pushing towards $1000/mo + shoes, etc for a while. Once I settle in with the trainer it will probably settle more like $750/mo.

It’s a lot. We used to have a PF membership for $20 but this is a BTD item for us and I can’t think of a better way to spend money than in staying in shape and flexible as we age. My sister-in-law is a 68 year old diabetic. She and my brother have been using trainers for years. If you saw her you’d think she was 55.

Worth it.

Really interesting. I feel like I am falling apart kind of fast for my age and know nothing of "how" to exercise. I just walk and that has only been in the last year.

Mountain biker and skier. Equipment is expensive but lasts a few years. Annual ski pass is $800. Mountain biking is free...toss it in my truck and hit one of 6-8 great trail networks within 30 minutes drive. I have weights/bench in basement for strength exercises...should do it more but it's free when I choose to use it!

Pretty much zero. I went to Planet Fitness but switched to video workouts during COVID. In nice weather I may take a long walk or bike the trail behind my neighborhood. The bike was $700 but that was 4 years ago.

My on line yoga membership is $60. I do have to buy walking shoes twice a year or so, but not much $$ there. My bike is fairly old but works well and I do swim in our pool daily in the warmer months. That is all paid for already.
I forgot that I work out with a personal trainer twice a month at a total cost of $140 monthly. I have been meeting with the same person for 15 years and it looks like her rates are very reasonable.

Really interesting. I feel like I am falling apart kind of fast for my age and know nothing of "how" to exercise. I just walk and that has only been in the last year.
It's REALLY important you do something about that.. I don't know your age but if you're 50+ like I am... use it or lose it. Members of my family have ignored that and are doing poorly now.

It's not about how much time you have left... it's about how much GOOD time you have left.

Right all my family never did anything either. So I'm trying to figure out what to do next but honestly the internet is overwhelming when you can't do "beginner" stuff. I don't need to like sit in a chair to exercise but I am not cranking out 3 sets of 10 pushups etc.

I have an old rower, an old Nordic Track X-C ski machine, an old treadmill and an old weight bench and dumbbells. They were acquired at different times- some new and some used - at long-forgotten prices. Let’s guess $1500-$2000 all-in. Other than those sunk-costs I spend $20/mo on a Team Body Project video subscription and about $100/year on working out shoes. I work out and/or walk an average of 5-6 days per week for about an hour a day. I will be 79 later this week.

I prefer group exercise vs individual trainer. My Medicare Advantage plan from UHC has a "Renew Active" program that pays for these group sessions (similar to Silver Sneakers):

1. Bikram Yoga - 60 or 90 minutes in 105 degree room with 26 postures 8 sessions/month
2. OrangeTheory - 50 minutes, treadmill/bike, rowing and weights 8 sessions/month
3. Club Pilates - 50 minutes at various levels working all joints 4 sessions/month

That is 5 sessions each week and $0 cost to me...plus I have been wearing the same clothes for about 8 years and don't wear shoes for yoga or Pilates...

I have an old rower, an old Nordic Track X-C ski machine, an old treadmill and an old weight bench and dumbbells. They were acquired at different times- some new and some used - at long-forgotten prices. Let’s guess $1500-$2000 all-in. Other than those sunk-costs I spend $20/mo on a Team Body Project video subscription and about $100/year on working out shoes. I work out and/or walk an average of 5-6 days per week for about an hour a day. I will be 79 later this week.
I'm impressed. You out work my 40 year old neighbor. . .

Right all my family never did anything either. So I'm trying to figure out what to do next but honestly the internet is overwhelming when you can't do "beginner" stuff. I don't need to like sit in a chair to exercise but I am not cranking out 3 sets of 10 pushups etc.
Badatmath, you don't have to do 3 sets of 10, do 3 sets of 5 and work your way up.

I use to go to the gym and had a trainer before my husband passed. Yearly dues were $420 and sessions with the trainer I can't remember the price. A neighbor told his buddies that my husband had passed and some of them wouldn't leave me alone. I do my exercises at home and run at the park now. It's cheaper and I don't have to be nice to rude people.

If you're ok taking advice from a woman, check out Casey Johnston and her Lift Off program. It's a very basic intro to weight lifting starting with very low weights, designed to get you ready to go to the gym with the basic moves down.

I don't normally share my story but if it will help you I feel compelled to as you are honest about being a bit lost as to how to start and it really is important. Apologies as this will take the thread a little off track.
I had been fit in my 30s but gained a lot of weight in my forties due to depression over my wifes health problems, life changes and other things.
My family has never placed an emphasis on physical fitness (nor my wife) but as they are all older than me I began to see them struggle with health issues caused in large part by being fat. My own father died at 48 and as I approached that age I realized for the first time I was going to "outlive" him and that was something I never thought all my life would happen. I decided I needed to change my life so that if I was going to outlive him I needed to be in good health and to be able to be there to take care of my wife as her condition deteriorates.

The Covid lockdowns provided an excuse to start.

For the first 9 months I focused on diet and simple exercises. I walked 4 mornings a week on a very old treadmill I had bought off of Craigslist. I did bodyweight squats (10 at a time) and knee pushups (5-10 at a time) a few days a week as that was all my body could handle at my weight.
As the weight came off, the walking went from 30 minutes to 40 to 45 to an hour. The squats went from 10 to 20. The pushups went from being knee pushups to full pushups, etc...
I won't bore you with the diet details since you haven't indicated any need to lose weight but 4 years later I have lost a vast amount of weight and more importantly, am physically fit for a 51 year old.

There are only three secrets to making exercise a permanent part of your life.
Doing something is better than doing nothing.
Find something you enjoy (or at least don't hate).
And continue to do that something all the time (consistency).

The human animal is meant to be physically challenged on a daily basis. We have worked physically hard all throughout history until recently. Our bodies require it and our minds benefit from it too.

Back
Top Bottom