How Much Longer Will the Current Bear Market Last?

What will be the duration of the current bear market?

• 3 to 12 months

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • More than 12 Months but less than 18

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • 18 Months or More

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is my source as to the start date of the current bear market (not secular bear market) and the others start dates used when I started this thread. The start date of the bear market is based upon when the S&P 500 dropped 20% from its 12 month high. Does anyone out there have any sources that show a different start date for the current bear market?

Average Durations of Previous Bear Markets

You may be misunderstanding your source. Look at his dates for start and finish of bear markets- they are all from the prior higher high to the next lower low without an intevening higher high..

Ha

You may be misunderstanding your source. Look at his dates for start and finish of bear markets- they are all from the prior higher high to the next lower low without an intevening higher high..

Ha

The beginning and ending dates and percentage decline for nine bear markets since 1957 are the same as my original source with the exception of #1 and #9, where they're fairly close.

A Look at the Nine Bear Markets Since 1950 | AllFinancialMatters

I guess you are saying something different from me, but i confess that I can't tell what you are saying.

ha

Retire Soon:

From your reference link chart:
March 2000 was a market peak.
July 1990 was a market peak.
August 1987 was a market peak
etc.

What are you arguing? All your references confirm my explanation for when bear markets start. As per your chart, all the markets started at the prior market peak.

In fact your last source states that
On July 7, 2008 S&P 500 went into bear market territory after sliding 20% from its October 9th 2007 all-time highs at 1565.15. The current bear market correction has been going on for more than nine months. So how long do bear markets last on average?
So - (assuming that your article was dated July 7 2008 or thereabouts which seems likely), it clearly states that the current bear market was already 9 months old. Today it's 12 months old.

Audrey

Retire Soon:

From your reference link chart:
March 2000 was a market peak.
July 1990 was a market peak.
August 1987 was a market peak
etc.

What are you arguing? All your references confirm my explanation for when bear markets start. As per your chart, all the markets started at the prior market peak.

In fact your last source states that
So - (assuming that your article was dated July 7 2008 or thereabouts which seems likely), it clearly states that the current bear market was already 9 months old. Today it's 12 months old.

Audrey

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I'm not doing a good job of multitasking today as I lose my shirt. ;)

You're welcome.

We're all losing our shirt except for our brilliant tin-foil hat brethren who went 100% cash over 6 months ago.

Audrey

what comes out of a bear first & fastest, housing or stocks? (my uneducated guess is housing comes out first but stocks go back up faster?)

stocks and the sector order is always the same. someone noticed it back in the 50's. i'll have to look it up in one of my books but i remember it starts with tech and ends with energy and industrial stocks

Back
Top Bottom