How Technology Will Transform Retirement

I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism. :cool:
I'm reminded of the following quote attributed to Bill Gates,

"We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten."

I think we will see a great deal of change in the next few decades but possibly in ways we are not able to predict. I also have a feeling that your flying car will remain elusive for the foreseeable future, braumeister :D

I think we will see a great deal of change in the next few decades but possibly in ways we are not able to predict. I also have a feeling that your flying car will remain elusive for the foreseeable future, braumeister :D

Darn! Ditto for my dream flying RV.

"And I want to help you. Dave - stop - Dave..."

"I am a HAL 9000 Computer Production No. 3. I became operational at the H—A—L plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January, 1992."

This movie, 2001 - A Space Odyssey, was made in 1968. Almost a quarter century after that projected date of 1992, unimaginable hardware progress has been made but the software for AI (Artificial Intelligence) has not advanced as far as people expect. It is difficult to model a human brain, because we do not really know how it works.

Remember Rhoda? This is my kind of technology...

Screenshot+from+2013-04-03+13:55:17.png

When I think about my generation (X) and how we've adapted quickly to new technology, I see where these things will be almost second nature by the time we are in our later years (I'm 44 and thinking about being in my 70s or so). While today's seniors won't be so interested in the Internet of things, I suspect we will embrace it warmly, to say nothing of the folks just behind us, those pesky millennials!

Bring on the self driving car, stat!!!!

Bring on the self driving car, stat!!!!

I'd like to see that option as well. I think we'll see it first in long distance trucks, where spending $250k+ on the self-driving capability would make economic sense. Clearly not paying a driver would be an incentive but also it could run 24/7, stopping only for fuel and servicing. That alone would be a huge productivity increase.

A company like Google, (Google Earth), will offer cyber vacations to various destinations. Pay using the worldwide currency that everyone has converted to, (gold and silver buried in the backyard has become worthless), put on the helmet with visor and experience your road or airline trip to where ever. Even has the sounds and smells. And you don't have to leave your hover wheelchair.

I can see the beginnings by using StreetView on Google Earth.

A company like Google, (Google Earth), will offer cyber vacations to various destinations. Pay using the worldwide currency that everyone has converted to, (gold and silver buried in the backyard has become worthless), put on the helmet with visor and experience your road or airline trip to where ever. Even has the sounds and smells. And you don't have to leave your hover wheelchair.

I can see the beginnings by using StreetView on Google Earth.

The experiences you describe are already in the works!

Virtual Reality Vacations

Last edited:
Just heard on the news that Illinois is exploring digital drivers licenses - license would be on the drivers' smartphones.

I'm intrigued by exoskeletons for increased mobility -- "manufactured" by 3D printers.

I can make a case for adoption of lots of this technology - not today, but maybe 20 years out. Some will stick and some will not.

Uber for old people who can no longer drive is a god send.

Any technology that helps with slowing or assisting those with dementia and will be huge...

I could use those name recognition glasses too.

After dealing with a Whirlpool Cabrio washer, with an electronic panel that constantly was on the fritz (despite the washer being on a surge suppressor from day 1) and sensors that determined how much water to fill, etc, I couldn't run fast enough to replace it with a commercial grade (exempt from residential requirements) Speedqueen, with all manual mechanical controls to set water levels and washing times, no sensors, no annoying safety locks, and NO HASSLES. The smart washiter was forever needing to rebalance itself in spite of being a supposed water saver. took a lot more water and time (sometimes twice as much). I was shocked the first time I washed a load with the Speed Queen how fast and trouble free it was, after having to hang over and nurse the Cabrio just to get it to finish a load. More tech is just more things to break, IMHO.

Likewise, I got a plain new fridge without a sensor in it (other than the main temp). Sadly, while the Speed Queen is a tank, it's hard to find a high quality but low feature (in terms of useless gadgets) fridge.
Funny, my very same experience with a Whirlpool Cabrio washer - useless high tech piece of c**p. Replaced it with a totally manual GE washer which gets the job done in 1/2 of the time with probably 1/3 of the water use since the other useless machine was constantly refilling and trying to rebalance itself.

Back
Top Bottom