How to encourage a friend

Huh...$50 for two hours at the lake I used to live near. I wasnt really interested in spending more than an hour or two on one. I figured for most working people, they might get in a couple of hours on one day of the weekend a couple of times a month with an average summer running 3 months. That'd run 200-400 a year for a rental. It'd take you a while to recoup that purchase investment.

That $50 rate was for renting right at the dock. If you rented from a guy about a mile away who had them mounted on a trailer he'd hook to your truck, you put them in and take them out yourself, it was even cheaper.

late twentys ... those were the days, $0 net worth and not a care the world. Things went down hill from there for me. Down about $250k when real estate tanked north of Boston. Oh, how it would have nice to have a $0 net worth again.

Of course "what goes down must go up" ... or is it the other way around!?!

Back to your friend, pay-yourself first (10%) then BANK ALL PAY RAISES (don't miss what you never had) until the savings rate hits 20%. And he'll be fine.

Enjoy!

laurencewill said:
I've looked into renting myself and found prices to be quite high. 

Will we find this ad in the Personals? :eek:

Judy

Count me in as another one not out of debt until early 30's (college loans). Had to take the corporate job to pay those suckers off.

But then lived below my means thereafter.

it seems that your number $175M is excessive. If you need $2M in today's dollars, that amount will be $5M in 30 years (based on 3% inflation rate). Well, if you really need $175M, you can always move to Vietnam. It's very easy become a millionare there.

Back
Top Bottom