How to fight high egg prices: Rent The Chicken

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
No, this is not from The Onion...

With inflation driving the price of eggs up at the grocery store, some people are going straight to the source.

Rent The Chicken allows people to rent hens for about six months and farm their own eggs in their backyards.
The company provides all the supplies to raise chickens, from chicken feed and dishes to a chicken coop and heat source.

"Within two days of the arrival, your chickens will lay eggs ready to use," the website said, adding the hens should lay about a dozen to two dozen eggs per week, depending on the rental package.

The price of rental packages varies by location.
Rent The Chicken

I had chickens for a few years (two sets). I don't think people realize how much effort and expense they can be. Too much like w*rk. Quick math for rental in my area tells me it's cheaper to buy the eggs.

At the lowest rental price of $995 for 2 hens. Let's see, 7 months of eggs at 12 eggs per week = 30 dozen eggs. dividing $995 by 30 dozen returns $33 per dozen eggs. How does this fight high egg prices? No way!

In the 1980's, we bought two "chicks" for $0.50 each at a feed store (13 year old daughter bugged me to buy them). We had a small ranch in California at that time for boarding young daughter's Quarter Horse. My sister and Mom were living in that house and we lived in another a few miles away.

So we brought these two cute little chicks home and I built a chicken coop (waste of time, eventually). The little chicks grew into two really nice Rhode Island Red hens and like to roam the corral and horse stalls. Actually, they liked to sleep in with the horse and was good company for her. (horses like company). They liked the hay barn too!

Anyway, they two hens ate chicken scratch, insects and snails (CA feature) and gave us 4 eggs a day, found under various bushes.

One hen liked me and followed me all over the property. The other, not so much, and must have been receiving private counseling from my soon-to-be ex wife. :D

Last edited:
I know I may be taking this thread off-topic, BUT…

I’ve often wished there were Rent-a-Dog businesses for those of us who love dogs but, as we age, are less and less interested in dealing with all that dog ownership entails. But, there’s nothing like having a dog for company for a walk on the beach, in the woods on a crisp fall day, etc. The solution is a half-day or day-long dog rental. You get the exercise and the companionship but can bring the dog back to the kennel when you’re through with it. Package deals might include enough food, biscuits, poop bags, etc for the rental period. Ideal for apartment dwellers and condo owners where pets aren’t allowed. I wonder if Rent the Chicken might want to expand its offerings?

I've heard of rent a goat before, to clear brush or blackberries or stuff from your land....but the chicken thing is straight up Onion material.

I’ve often wished there were Rent-a-Dog businesses for those of us who love dogs but, as we age, are less and less interested in dealing with all that dog ownership entails. But, there’s nothing like having a dog for company for a walk on the beach, in the woods on a crisp fall day, etc. The solution is a half-day or day-long dog rental. You get the exercise and the companionship but can bring the dog back to the kennel when you’re through with it. Package deals might include enough food, biscuits, poop bags, etc for the rental period. Ideal for apartment dwellers and condo owners where pets aren’t allowed. I wonder if Rent the Chicken might want to expand its offerings?
We have lots of neighbors walking other people’s dogs as a favor when they go on a short trip or whatever.

One of my friends walks his neighbor's dog almost daily. They like dogs but want to travel so this is an ideal solution for them.

Our local humane society lets people check a dog out for a day of hiking.

I can't believe I paid over $5 for a dozen eggs the other day....can't make a good meatloaf without them.

They weren't the most expensive eggs I've ever eaten. A few years ago a couple buddies and I bought some chickens and we put them in an old barn at my farm.

After expenses, I don't want to know how much those eggs cost. But, it was fun and then we ate the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom