How to help parents adjusting to retirement?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dad is in mid-60s, now retired (let go from job due to personality conflicts), has a pension and savings so money is ok for the time being, but he's having trouble adjusting to retirement. He doesn't know what to do with himself, doesn't have many hobbies, doesn't have a good network of friends. His personality can be a bit prickly at times. Has been divorced from mom for many decades now although still has a friendly relationship with her. She lives a few hours away by car and is still working, but I see her having the same problem in a couple years. DW and I live across the country so it takes a plane flight to see either of them.

I know this adjustment is tough whether married or single but is there anything I can do to help give him some helpful ideas? Are there any good books on this topic that you would recommend?

Have him start with the local senior center. I knew a single man who retired and went there all the time. He walked the local walking paths with other seniors every morning.
Mom went to one once and took a bus trip with them once but didn't like it because she was new and everyone knew each other. If he starts young going even once a month he will not be new for long.

Joining a gym might be another thing he would like swimming laps or sitting in sauna is a good way to get out of the house and do something.

Volunteering at a local food bank or driving cancer patients to appointments or big brother any thing he would be good at. I might deliver meals on wheels, do some good and meet people to chat a minute with.

Have him start with the local senior center. I knew a single man who retired and went there all the time. He walked the local walking paths with other seniors every morning.
Mom went to one once and took a bus trip with them once but didn't like it because she was new and everyone knew each other. If he starts young going even once a month he will not be new for long.

Joining a gym might be another thing he would like swimming laps or sitting in sauna is a good way to get out of the house and do something.

Volunteering at a local food bank or driving cancer patients to appointments or big brother any thing he would be good at. I might deliver meals on wheels, do some good and meet people to chat a minute with.

+1 exactly what I was thinking (sr center/library, gym working on being healthy and fit, cooking class, volunteering locally) and if he wants to make a few bucks, maybe a courtesy van driver at a car dealership.

I am about the same age as your father, and I was going to say the same thing, about joining a gym.

Help him to find a gym near his home that has lots of other seniors, if possible. Joining a gym like that has added some structure to our days and gives us something to look forward to. After a few months you get to know the others there so there is always the opportunity for socializing if desired, or he can just work out if he'd rather.

If your Dad is on the internet...how about helping him sign up here on the ER forums. Show him how to navigate the forums. Then, he can also get some ideas reading the forums from our crew on-line.

Beware though...He may learn to spend all your inheritance!

Back
Top Bottom