How to Look Rich

MasterBlaster

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For the posers

In thirteen easy steps...

How to Look Rich: 13 steps - wikiHow

My favorite is step 4...

Act in a more patrician manner. Drive more slowly. Your car should be a basic model. That means no bumper stickers, no loud stereo and no 26" rims. Your car should look as though it is freshly detailed inside and out: cleaned and waxed, with shiny tires. Slow down your speech, and lower your voice volume. Try talking about important matters happening today. Don't be loud or draw attention to yourself. Learn to play golf, tennis and sail, or to ride (horses), even to play polo (if you have the stomach for it). Get familiar with English history. Groom regularly, nails, body, face and hair. Keep clothing neat in appearance (tuck in shirts, wear comfortable fitting not very loose clothing). You must think before you talk, because, as small as this may seem, some people blurt out things that make them seem as if they didn't, and it can hurt you and others.

Call me old fashion, but I'm far more interested in being rich (or in my case staying rich) than I am looking rich.

How about step 11? Since we openly discuss financial matters on this forum, either we don't want to be looked rich or we're not rich anyway.

"One of the most important things is to try and act normal. People who are not rich, wish they were. People who are rich don't want anyone to know. Be relaxed and light-hearted. Wear things that are good quality, but do not advertise. Do not wear clothing with advertisements or brand names on them. If someone is truly wealthy, they will be able to tell. Do not act as though you are above normal activities. Act rich, walk and speak properly, but when you talk about the subject of yourself or your life, speak about yourself as though you are a normal person. Never accept that you are rich. If cornered try "My parents are somewhat well off." Never openly discuss financial matters."

Thinking before talking is going to be a tough one! However, the idea of being more patrician has a certain appeal to it.

One thing I would add to the list is a geniune interest in those less fortunate that us. The truly rich have a sense of "Noblesse oblige" - with wealth, power and prestige come repsonsibilities.

heheh, I can just see the looks a person in Los Angeles would get by acting partrician and talking slowly. It would probably illicit a "dude, you OK?".

I am not rich, and I do not want to look rich. I just want to look plain and innocuous. I do not want to look like a bum either, but not drawing attention to myself is what I hope to be.

Last edited:
Given my plebian tastes (beer, pickup truck, hound dogs, outlet store clothing, etc.), I don't think I will ever look like a target.

I recall, in the 70s, seeing James R. Schlesinger on one of the Sunday morning TV talk shows and Schlesinger was being grilled and as each question was being asked he would find some issue that needed attention on his pipe, especially relighting it. Then take a long bong-like hit and slowly exhale before then answering in a monotone that would have the questioner looking dazed.

Given my plebian tastes (beer, pickup truck, hound dogs, outlet store clothing, etc.), I don't think I will ever look like a target.
Yeah, same here, and some days when I'm sitting on steps watching the beach bunnies, I often wonder if I'm gonna get offered spare change. Have to be careful not to set my empty coffee cup down.

Last edited:
No matter how you may have to scrimp in other aspects of your life, you simply must maintain a decent string of polo ponies. Trying to rent them for the day will only get you laughed at. :confused:
:greetings10:

Rich is relative. I want people to underestimate me, always have. I never got people who want to look rich, whether they are or not...to each his/her own. Anyone who needs an article on how to look rich...

This article reminds me of when I worked as a PT sales associate at Brooks Brothers in the early 80s. We were trained for a week, yes, a week, on everything you might care to know about their clothing, accessories etc, on how to greet customers, and how to dress for work, you name it they covered it. We were respresentatives of an establishment and they wanted you to put the correct face forward. I guess since the clientele was either bankers or old money, we were supposed to look like/act like them.

30 years later, I don't give a hoot what others think I have in the bank, (I prefer the milliionare next door approach) and I think that flashing your wealth around could be an invitation to trouble--I don't even wear my real engagement ring to NYC or on vacation.

On the other hand, I DO like the preppy/classic look and continue to favor LLBean, Orvis and other classic clothing styles, but it's hard to find a well made polo shirt without some type of logo (aka unpaid advertisement) on the front!!:(

Norma

When I go ER, It will be a complete change in wardrobe, lifestyle and
ways. It's going to be driving my F150 truck and small Honda, dressed very casual, mainly Eddie Bauer and Under Armour type, low keyed, and quiet. Nobody would know exactly what I'm worth and I like it that way.

I don't want to be pretentious, or keep up with anybody.

I don't know how the truly rich should look like. The book "M next door", claim they look so average- you and I will likely miss them.

dosequis_interesting.jpg

Attachments

• Ascot.bmp
    144.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I thought it wasn't fashionable to seem rich.

But never fear. To seem like you are of a lower class than you are, just eliminate all adverbs from your speech and get a lot of visible tattoos. ;)

My husband is the caretaker for a camp in the middle of a VERY nice neighborhood, and is required to live on the property. So we're living in a double-wide trailer in the midst of grillion-dollar homes. It's great -- all of the amenities of a great neighborhood with none of the taxes...

People around here ALL look rich -- very shiny cars, very big houses, very nice clothes, women all groomed to the nth degree.

Guy down the street lost his house last month and is moving into a small apartment with his wife. They're both in their sixties -- she's working at the local grocery three days a week while he looks for work. Three other houses on the street are in some stage of foreclosure. Foreclosure rates here are not as bad as in the poor people's neighborhoods, but they're creeping up.

Looking rich doesn't mean much in this economy.

Wow - I struck out on all 13 steps. No 10 - I do have a good pair of shoes but I don't wear them. No 7 - I really hope that men don't put a scent on their inner wrists.

Interesting. Most of the behavior, speech, and grooming tips, sound like the way I was raised - and mine was a blue collar family. My parents called it "having class." To this day I speak carefully, carry myself straight and tall, do not wear noticeable make-up, and don't talk down or up to anybody. "You are as good as anyone else, but not better than other people," was the attitude I was raised to hold.

Never liked the "preppy" look on me, but I do like Brooks Bros. - those clothes fit great and wear like iron!

I don't play any of the required sports. Wouldn't the diligent pursuit of fitness count? Or must there be competition, specialized equipment, and clubhouses?

For the rest, I agree with many others that it's wise to be careful of accidentally becoming a target of the jealous - or worse.

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom