How to Read a Tree

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Take a break from stock market prognostications, building your bond ladder and arguing about EV vs. Hybrids vs. ICE only vehicles, and spend an hour to learn what trees can teach us wherever we are.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/skills/outdoor-survival/podcast-907-how-to-read-a-tree/

The author, who wrote a book by the same name, explains how trees can tell us what the surrounding area is like. Trees do everything for a purpose. An understanding of why trees do things helps us understand the natural environment we are in.

Are you in a normally wet area?
What is the Southern Eye?
What direction does the wind usually blow from?
What does bark tell you about a the surrounding area?
What is the wedge effect?

The next time you take a walk in the park or a forest, check out what the trees are telling you about that area.

Last edited:
Quite an interesting podcast/read. I recall learning some of these things in the Boy Scouts. I would think a hiker should become knowledgeable in these arts.

I love to hike, and the more I learn about things, the more interesting my hikes become. So thank you for this!

I've requested the author's book - How to Read a Tree - from my local library. The word is out, and it looks like a several month wait. In the mean time my walks through some local parks are becoming more interesting.

Don't just approach it intellectually. Trees are living organisms. They have been around longer than you, in many cases. Trees are beautiful. I have heard the voice of God through trees. I have felt friendship and good will emanating from trees.

I used to hug trees sometimes, when I was out hiking. I don't do that anymore. Maybe I'm afraid of a #metoo lawsuit from a tree. But no, it's because I feel self-conscious about it. I still put my palm on them, pat them like a friend sometime.

I bought a lot of trees many years ago. I hope their relatives aren't vengeful. Yes trees do tell us a lot about what's going on in their environment if we pay attention.

At the Old Homestead, there is a huge maple that I've watched grow from a sapling. I love that concept that the tree is virtually as old as I am. I'd say it's in better shape.:LOL:

One of my favorite times are in the redwoods in California and Oregon. It's one of those trips that I can repeat just about anytime.

Back
Top Bottom