How to replace sliding door glide

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have an old (40 + years) sliding closet door. It's hard to tell from the attached picture, but apparently a piece of the bottom of the inner plastic doohickey is missing. I guess it snapped off. So now the door doesn't glide thru the bottom track. I can't even figure out how this is attached to the door, but it seems it would just be pried out.
I found a sticker on the door, "Hoyne" which presumably is the manufacturer. I can't find them on the internet. Any suggestions for how I can repair this?

Attachments

• door slide.jpg
    door slide.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 11
I think you remove the old one, put the new one on the door. Then use a wide flat screwdriver blade placed on the flat part of the plastic (in photo) and either press hard down or hit the screwdriver blade with a hammer lightly.

I base on having removed and put back this type of door before.

I think you remove the old one, put the new one on the door. Then use a wide flat screwdriver blade placed on the flat part of the plastic (in photo) and either press hard down or hit the screwdriver blade with a hammer lightly.

I base on having removed and put back this type of door before.

"There's the rub." I'm not sure how to remove the old one, and besides I can't find that exact replacement part.

I have an old (40 + years) sliding closet door. It's hard to tell from the attached picture, but apparently a piece of the bottom of the inner plastic doohickey is missing. I guess it snapped off. So now the door doesn't glide thru the bottom track. I can't even figure out how this is attached to the door, but it seems it would just be pried out.
I found a sticker on the door, "Hoyne" which presumably is the manufacturer. I can't find them on the internet. Any suggestions for how I can repair this?
This looks incredibly similar. I believe it just "snaps in" or out.
https://www.swisco.com/Bottom-Guide/pd/Sliding-Closet-Door-Rollers_Guides/23-026

Grab the metal tab on the left side of your photo and just wiggle it back and forth while pulling to the left. Needle nose pliers should work. Wiggle the new one in with the same motion.

Grab the metal tab on the left side of your photo and just wiggle it back and forth while pulling to the left. Needle nose pliers should work. Wiggle the new one in with the same motion.

Thank you for those links! The company is in New Jersey, where I live. If they're nearby, I'll see if I can pick up that part. I did a bunch if Google searching before my original post, but somehow didn't see this before. Thanks again.

Thank you for those links! The company is in New Jersey, where I live. If they're nearby, I'll see if I can pick up that part. I did a bunch if Google searching before my original post, but somehow didn't see this before. Thanks again.
good luck:)

Yes, snaps in and out. They make them out of Nylon 6/6 which dries out and becomes brittle over time. I machined one out of Delrin as a replacement for mine which will last a lifetime and then some, in that application.

I had to replace those on some mirrored closet doors in my first house. That was about 35 years ago. Once you take the door off the tracks, it's fairly obvious how to change out the parts. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom