How to Spend your Money for Maximum Happiness...

Yep, I used to pay for a yard guy. Once I realized I didn’t value a yard because it didn’t do anything for me, I started living in places without yards...and saving that $300/mo for something that does make me happy. [emoji4]

I like my yard because it provides a buffer from the neighbors...it's 116' x 630' and borders a farmer's field. It's nice to sit on the deck and not see another house.

But we also don't care to have a perfect lawn, and of course with over an acre and a half it's not feasible. So we do the minimum...cut it when it needs and not worry about it. I'm sure that even if we had a small yard we wouldn't bother with anything more than the minimum maintenance. The open space is what makes us happy, not the grass.
yard.jpg

Time is precious—buy yourself some more of it
Yes, I ended up marrying an older man 3 years ago. I am retiring at the end of this year, at 52, so we can spend time together while we are both active and healthy.

Invest in experiences - we love to travel, and hope to do plenty of it starting again in 2022. We also love theatre and other "experiences"; not shopping or buying things.
Spend on others - Yup. We both give time and money to charities/organizations that are important to us

I like my yard because it provides a buffer from the neighbors...it's 116' x 630' and borders a farmer's field. It's nice to sit on the deck and not see another house.

But we also don't care to have a perfect lawn, and of course with over an acre and a half it's not feasible. So we do the minimum...cut it when it needs and not worry about it. I'm sure that even if we had a small yard we wouldn't bother with anything more than the minimum maintenance. The open space is what makes us happy, not the grass.
View attachment 37670

+1 We moved into a house about 2.5 years ago that is on the edge of a major southern Ontario city but is situated on 2 acres. For a kid that grew up on a cattle farm it is a welcome return to peace and quiet. I've never given a damn about the lawn besides cutting it (which thankfully DW enjoys doing now on a riding mower) which used to be a more awkward attitude in suburban houses.

When we fully retire in the next year or so it will be to a rural setting. Privacy and quiet are what make me happy and spending money to make that happen will be money very well spent.

+1 We moved into a house about 2.5 years ago that is on the edge of a major southern Ontario city but is situated on 2 acres. For a kid that grew up on a cattle farm it is a welcome return to peace and quiet. I've never given a damn about the lawn besides cutting it (which thankfully DW enjoys doing now on a riding mower) which used to be a more awkward attitude in suburban houses.

When we fully retire in the next year or so it will be to a rural setting. Privacy and quiet are what make me happy and spending money to make that happen will be money very well spent.

I'm on the edge of a major city too, the end of my property is city limits.

My GF has taken over riding mower duties...she loves it. In fact when I went to buy a new one last fall she insisted on coming with me and sitting on it first to make sure it was comfortable.

My house is close to one side of the yard. After I bought it I added a garage on the other side of the yard and ran a fence in between it and the house. When you're on the deck you have complete privacy from both neighbors and the front street. Plus the wide open view out back as shown in the pic. This is likely our forever home, at least until we're unable to stay here.

I'm the same way with our second house on a lake. Almost 1.6 acres to mow. I have a "if it grows, it mows" philosophy. I don't water, fertilize, herbicide, insect control anything. I have a good size tractor and also, never mow all of it at once. Mid summer I spend 20-25 mins on the tractor maybe every 3-4 days. Don't want to be doing this for the next 15-20 years, but for now I'll take it as the price for a private lot.

I love bending a motorcycle through curvy canyon roads.

But you have to buy the motorcycle first.

I love the solitude of fishing in the delta and I love the taste of fish that lived the day I ate them.

But you need to buy the boat first.

Yeah, I love the experiences!

Other than friends and family....Motorcycling and fishing are also some of my passions that makes me happy. People who do not ride a motorcycle are missing out. I have a boat with a cabin so I stay out on the lake for 3 days and 2 nights and enjoy the sunset and sunrise. As long as I have my old $6000 used cabin boat and my $3000 used motorcycle then I hardly need anything else.

I am an unpaid volunteer for a nearby city and I surprised my doctor when I informed him that I can wait for a vaccine. This is because I am ex-Army who tend to care about other people before myself. I am trying to get away from the "me first" mentality. I find happiness in making sacrifices for my community because "serving your community" is like "serving your country".

Yep, I used to pay for a yard guy. Once I realized I didn’t value a yard because it didn’t do anything for me, I started living in places without yards...and saving that $300/mo for something that does make me happy. [emoji4]
It's not the yard that makes me happy. It's the birds that inhabit the overgrown tree area behind the yard...I feel like we're living in a nature preserve. It's amazing to me that something like
0.35 acres can support so much wildlife!

"Invest in experiences"

Sounds like a travel industry commercial to me.
Well it may be, but that is pretty much how I feel. I no longer want "stuff" I want experiences. That usually means travel, but it doesn't have to be. For example, for my 65th birthday (in 2019) I hosted a birthday weekend and just invited my immediate family and my two closest friends (and their wives). We went to a ballgame on Saturday then I took everyone out for brunch on Sunday then went back to the house for coffee and birthday cake. My treat. No gifts. It was the best birthday I had since my 7th (which was really special). It was well worth the money for that experience.

Good posts. Thank you midpack! I have been pondering these questions for a while. My wife just retired and she appears to be going to little stir crazy. You know, COVID and all. I think the answer for me is experiential in family spending. You can never make up great experiences and memories. We also became patrons of our local library‘s. For whatever reason that makes me feel great. Andrew Carnegie would be rolling over in his grave. I’m almost 62 and still working. I do like my job but more recently I’m thinking I could spend my time doing better things. We do like helping charities. Along time ago I heard a quote by the Dalai Lama, he said “money can only make you happy when you give it away.” Perhaps I’ll keep a little for myself.

I'm torn about "buying more time." I would like to hire a housecleaning service, but after my few experiences with them, I envision going through one after another and not really liking the way they do things (much as I feel about yard services. Everything is so one-size-fits-all, slam-bam-pay-me-ma'am).

+1. I couldn't find a cleaner that would clean my kitchen walls or the floor under my range. Liability issue (they could hurt their back). Hired a TaskRabbit "elite" person to clean my rental after tenants moved out. Left a bunch of stuff undone (and no, he didn't run out of time, he didn't know how to clean!). Had to do it myself, and ended up taking more time than if I'd done myself from the start.

For other services though I *have* started to hire things out. Paid a guy last year to reside my garage with metal siding. THAT was money well spent and definitely brought me joy!

Interesting topic .... I did read the article. It definitely pushes the buy experiences, not things point of view. I wonder, though, if that is because they are relying on polls and most people are extroverts. As in introvert, many "experiences" and connections with other people do not necessarily make me happy. I do like social connection, just not too much of it and I am happy with a relatively small group of connections to people.

I do think the dividing line of things v. experiences is really arbitrary. Many things give you experiences. My really nice gaming computer allows me to have the experience of gaming. I sometimes play with other people so that increases social connections.

I'm torn about "buying more time."

One point the article made was you have to consider the trade off. You might buy more time by hiring a cleaning service. But if you have to buy less expensive groceries than you want it isn't a good trade off. We have had a cleaning service off and on and I almost always cancel it after a few months. First -- they usually don't do as good a job as I want. But, second, even more importantly, I usually decide that I have more fun things I want to spend that money on.

Material things are fleeting while experiences can last a lifetime.

That depends. We went on an expensive vacation with our kids (high school age) about 10 years ago. It was, by far, our best vacation and I remember it very fondly. And, yes, the $200 I spent to sit on the first row to watch David Bowie in concert was one of the highlights of my life. But, other experiences, I know I had them but barely remember them. Many material things I have bought have lasted longer and been more meaningful to me.

I'm not sure what category this might fit into, but within the last couple of years I find I derive quite a bit of happiness from home improvements that address what I consider foundational issues. Basically, to me, a foundational issue is any item repair/improvement that either stabilizes the functional condition of the house (e.g., winterizing, painting, etc) and/or improves the functional condition of the house (e.g., new windows, trex-like decking, etc). The improvement has to be more than for cosmetic or convenience reasons though - something that will ensure the home is more likely to hold up well for another 2-3 decades.

That is an interesting approach. We recently did a major remodel and it was mix of cosmetic and functional stuff. When you gut and redo a master bath in a 30 year old house it is both. We spent a lot of money on your master bath remodel and could have done the functional part alone for far less money. But we designed our ultimate bathroom that matched exactly how we wanted to use the room. Every time I go to take a shower or to sit at my vanity, I feel happy. I get joy just looking into the room. (Oh, I am pretty happy with our new heat pump water heater, also)

What good is a new car when we are away for four or five months a year??

This is a perfect example of how people differ? If I had to travel and be away from home for 4 or 5 months a year I would be seriously depressed and would feel awful. I do like the occasional vacation but 2 or 3 weeks once every several years is plenty for me.

We did buy a nice Volvo a couple of years ago. We got a good deal and it had some higher end features I wouldn't normally have gone for. Even 2 years later, I am still happy every time I get in that car. I just enjoy it so much.

One time some years ago, I was getting a new car and decide to save money on it. I bought a Prius (that part was fine), but I didn't get all the bells and whistles. No leather seats, no navigation, etc. Well, two years later I gave that car to my son. It did not bring my joy even though I did like the gas mileage. So I bought a premium line of an SUV that had all those bells and whistles and I we happily drove that car for 9 years.

I have a nice acoustic guitar, obviously it's a material thing. It's brought me hundreds of hours of joy and some great experiences with other musicians that will last a lifetime.

Most experiences require a some money to be spent first...whether it's buying a musical instrument or buying a plane ticket.

I will soon buy my retirement gift to myself which will be an expensive car (in fact, more expensive than any other car I have ever bought). Is it a financially sound decision - for many the answer will be no! On the other hand, I have been a "car guy" all my life and this car will make me happy - to drive it, to crank it through the turns, to look at it, to take it on trips, etc. My wife and I will use it to take trips and we belong to a club with other people that have the same car. Do what you want to do with your money, if cars are not your thing, don't buy one. If travel is not your thing, don't travel. But perhaps most important, find your thing that does bring you joy.

I love the solitude of fishing in the delta and I love the taste of fish that lived the day I ate them.

Funny you say this! Now I finally understand why I have so many tools. I love building and fixing things. Does that count as an experience? The last loooong one I did was a full gut-out rebuild of our forever home that spanned years. Now I can finally get back to my "shorter" projects that are pending: build a forge, build a CNC milling machine, setup a new vegetable garden, etc.

Last edited:
Every time I go to take a shower or to sit at my vanity, I feel happy. I get joy just looking into the room.
This is the best part about my building/fixing hobby. Every time I see "it", I remember how I built/fixed it which gives me joy.

Time is precious—buy yourself some more of it
Invest in experiences
Spend on others

That summarizes why the past year has been been such a huge downer. I hope "leaders" around the world understand this as they continue to restrict travel and gatherings, even as the vulnerable population get vaccinated. How many person years of life & living are getting sacrificed around the world in 2020 & 2021?

I have nearly stopped reading the news because of headlines like this:
UK warns all vacations could be canceled for 2021

What is the deal with cutting grass anyway? When I was a kid, various adults would send me out to do that, and I thought "surely when I become an adult I will understand why this must be done." At some point along the way I supposedly became an adult, but still never figured it out.

We have a mediumish yard. It has grass. The grass grows up when it rains, it dries up and falls over when it gets dry, just like grass does. I will say there's a period in fall where the seeds get in your socks and that can be annoying, but surely seeds-in-socks was not the genesis of the lawnmower.

I understand cutting for feed or bedding of course, that makes sense. But that's more what you'd call pasture than yard and of course in that situation the animals tend to mow it on their own :)

I am sharing this as food for thought for anyone interested, there is no be-all and end-all answer to the question FWIW - and the article doesn't pretend to have such an answer. DW and I are reading about such things, remains to be seen if we change our spending habits much if at all (yes, first world problem). I often think about having nicer cars, but I'm never really tempted to follow through.

And to be honest it mostly reinforces much of what I've read on this forum over many years, not a big surprise.

https://www.popsci.com/story/science/how-to-spend-money-happiness/

My 6 year old grandson loves legos and is very good at building things beyond his years. I had no idea how expensive the sets were, especially the big ones, but it has been money and time together well spent.

TIME - Priceless!!

Kudos! Nice post! Great experiences;)

Very good article OP, we all may have our different take on it but overall Time is priceless imo. Paid Lawn service / house keeping service too. Paid plumber recently / I don’t do it myself anymore.
I’m of the thought continue to enjoy the fruits of my labor ok if I can pay others use my time not work. Love giving of time to others in various ways
includes loved ones and strangers. Also enjoyed being an exchange student parent a few years.
Definitely still enjoy things that are cost free like watching the sunset today in SoCal but did pay for a hotel stay at the Ritz on the Pacific Ocean. I like some unnecessary upgrades I’ll call them. Had cars that were from point to point but I enjoy Luxury now!

I like living in our modern era -1901? This is 2021!
Technology has been great! Zoom anyone? Text /email overseas to exchange family (Thailand) (Japan). Travelled 🧳 south east Asia experience.
I’ve been to Cuba, quite an experience. Cultural experiences in humanities. Money is used as tool.
Many here (ER) not all, have extensive travel plans all been put on Covid hold- bet lots of money will be spent on postponed “experiences”:LOL:

Things money can buy can’t satisfy happiness you have to find that beyond material things, but now that I can afford nicer things? I do! Money is a great tool, I use a lot of mine to Live Large! Few nice cars I love to drive, sport bike & cruiser like the feel in the wind - fishing was my Pop favorite past-time love it!
I’ve not bought a boat but if you have? Enjoy!
Post Covid - traveling the 🌎 again lots of places to go and immerse in different “experiences” oh I’ll need to spend lots of money to do it, happy to have good health Er’d@50 4yrs ago got TIME! Just keep LIVIN- we know we get 1 day at a time. 50% more discretionary income? Upgrade, why not?

Ever own a horse or care for an expensive pet?
I’m willing to think if you’re on this site? You’ve gone beyond the basics not to wo*k anymore or you are on your way to ER. Money plays big roll to F’I.
Don’t fool yourself, I’m Happier not having to work!

55-75 I’d like to spend all that I saved past 30yrs on experiences, that includes lots of sharing w/others.
Besides the article said BMW - I drive Mercedes
it drives a little different than my F150. I like the experience- 🧦 🧦 🧦 :D

Generally I have believed in this for a long time. We spend a lot on travel, and are expecting to ramp that up even more - better class air travel, better hotels, etc. I do a lot of photography when we travel, and we then create a coffee table book from the pictures. Going through the book is like taking the trip again. We are up to 19 of them.

However, I find that some "things" have a built in "experience". I agree with the post that having a hobby is an experience. For me, having a collection of art glass is like having a mini museum in my home. I have a notable feeling of that kind of experience when I go look at it occasionally, even though I have seen it before.

We have spent a good bit on home improvement in the last couple years. We get a sense of pleasure from spending time in the new family room with the new look and design. Last year, we were able to complete a new back porch and large covered gazebo in the back yard, just in time for lockdown. Having that space made it much easier to stay home for months as our travel plans were cancelled. It is a pleasant experience to sit outside in the fresh air and with the birds instead of being in all the time. So yes, experiences are generally better than things, but some things generate experiences.

I have a nice acoustic guitar, obviously it's a material thing. It's brought me hundreds of hours of joy and some great experiences with other musicians that will last a lifetime.

Most experiences require a some money to be spent first...whether it's buying a musical instrument or buying a plane ticket.

I still have my 12-string acoustic guitar from 1969 that I played for many years after my band phase with an electric guitar. It brought me many hours of enjoyment for many years and is still in showroom condition except for some fret wear. Although I have others that are only about 10-12 years old the 12-string has always been my favorite. Memories I guess accounts for a lot of that. Unfortunately my hands became too much of a challenge with arthritis to continue. Now I take it down every once in a while for a few minutes when I'm by myself just to strum a few old tunes. It was money well spent for more than 50 years of joy.

Cheers!

I still have my 12-string acoustic guitar from 1969 that I played for many years after my band phase with an electric guitar. It brought me many hours of enjoyment for many years and is still in showroom condition except for some fret wear. Although I have others that are only about 10-12 years old the 12-string has always been my favorite. Memories I guess accounts for a lot of that. Unfortunately my hands became too much of a challenge with arthritis to continue. Now I take it down every once in a while for a few minutes when I'm by myself just to strum a few old tunes. It was money well spent for more than 50 years of joy.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear about the arthritis.

Have you considered an altered tuning to make it easier to play? For example, tune to an Em and you can play the minor chords by barring across a single fret and the major chords by barring across the fret and adding 1 finger.

My neighbors were paying $300 per month just for grass cutting. I lucked out and found a great yard service run by a guy with actual training in yard maintenance, pesticides, herbicides, etc. They come in every other week, trim the trees and shrubs, cut the grass, apply Round Up where needed, and clean up nicely. I couldn't be happier with their work! All for the same $300 monthly cost!

Your neighbor must have a huge lawn.

Back
Top Bottom