Humor: Dress for Success

I had exactly one job which required wearing a tie.

Later working in earth sciences, it was hard to outdo the Phds. Ragged jeans, T shirs with miscellaneoeus messages. I could never lower my standards to ragged jeans. Though flip-flops were easy in the summer time. This was on campus. Field work was another matter.

The best I encountered was a fellow going to defend his thesis, wearing a white T shirt with a black necktie painted on it with magic marker. A pair of sneakers proudly diplaying most of his toenails. He was successful, they showed him the secret handshake. Today he is an esteemed professor, somwhere. Altough his bright carreer was nearly finished when a vehicle he was driving slid off an snowy raod, nearly broke his neck, and was wearing a steel halo until his neck got well.

The UK has the right idea for doctors. They've banned doctors from wearing white coats and neckties due to the fact that such garments are very good at carrying bacteria and viruses from patient to patient. I've been wearing slacks and a simple blouse or shortsleeve sweater for many years. No tie issue for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

OK, one more story, although not exactly to the point of the OP.

Back in the day, USAF pilots routinely removed their wedding rings before entering the cockpit, because the regs required that jewelry not be worn around machinery.

So when they were at the deployed location and enjoying an evening at the club, they had no ring on and were considered "Class B" bachelors (i.e., unmarried as far as anyone knew).

Eventually, wives got wise to this, and complained through unofficial channels.

The result was that regulations were changed and aircrew were required to wear nomex (fire resistant) gloves, thereby eliminating the need to remove rings.

Oh, the stories about that change ...

OK, one more story, although not exactly to the point of the OP.

Back in the day, USAF pilots routinely removed their wedding rings before entering the cockpit, because the regs required that jewelry not be worn around machinery.

So when they were at the deployed location and enjoying an evening at the club, they had no ring on and were considered "Class B" bachelors (i.e., unmarried as far as anyone knew).

Eventually, wives got wise to this, and complained through unofficial channels.

The result was that regulations were changed and aircrew were required to wear nomex (fire resistant) gloves, thereby eliminating the need to remove rings.

Oh, the stories about that change ...
Wow. I spent 8 years flying in the USAF (1970 - 78) and don't recall this bit of history. We wore nomex gloves from day one, so maybe 'back in the day' predates me.

Wow. I spent 8 years flying in the USAF (1970 - 78) and don't recall this bit of history. We wore nomex gloves from day one, so maybe 'back in the day' predates me.

You followed the rules.
Not all flying units did.

I guess I have a different view. I like to dress nice and never minded a dress code. DW said I stood out in college and a lot of other females noticed how nice I dressed. Maybe that Ivy League education was an influence. :)

When Megacorp had a suit and tie dress code I felt for what they were paying me it was a minor sacrifice. As a minority I found I received MUCH better treating when traveling when I was dressed nicely. Besides, I look good in a suit.:LOL:

Even though I am in OMY mode, I still dress nice when going into the office. There is no dress code but I'll wear a sports jacket, collared shirt, slacks and nice casual shoes. For me that is comfortable.

I was always jealous that men had dressing for work so easy. Maybe the tie and lapel widths changed but fashion for men was so subtle vs the wardrobe choices most women had to make every morning. Even the menswear/dress for success for women was really just another fashion choice in what kind of a statement to make that day. Never mind the undergarments....

I wore jeans on a customer call for the first time this week. As a bulldozer salesman this would not be unusual, but I've always felt that dressing for success was important. Now into OMY I don't feel it so much.

I was in the heavy equipment business calling on dealers. They were satisfied to see us in khaki pants and golf shirts. Dealers actually preferred we blend in with their sales staff and not stick out wearing a sportcoat and tie.

In the 70's, we were wearing shirts and ties in the offiice--and sport coats or suits outside the office. It kept us from getting our hands dirty even when we needed to "get mechanical."

I was always jealous that men had dressing for work so easy. Maybe the tie and lapel widths changed but fashion for men was so subtle vs the wardrobe choices most women had to make every morning. Even the menswear/dress for success for women was really just another fashion choice in what kind of a statement to make that day. Never mind the undergarments....

The horrors of the undergarments! :hide::hide:

My close friend had to wear an astronaut suit to work--SR71 pilot. He was the one that set the coast to coast speed record when the plane was delivered to The Smithsonian.

My close friend had to wear an astronaut suit to work--SR71 pilot. He was the one that set the coast to coast speed record when the plane was delivered to The Smithsonian.
That's impressive to me, but braumeister will still want to know if he was wearing his wedding ring at the time... :)

Back
Top Bottom