Husband on ACA - Wife on Medicare

InTheSticks

Recycles dryer sheets
This will be our situation in 2019. I would like to hear from folks that are currently in this situation regarding subsidies.

When I run this scenario through healthcare.gov, it shows I get a full subsidy and my HI is free. It sounds to good to be true. I do check the box showing that my wife will have Medicare.

It would be great to hear from folks that are currently in this situation.

Thanks!

Will your wife be on Medicare for the entire year?

That's our situation and has been for three years. DW is on Medicare and through ACA I purchase a greatly discounted policy. I have some free plans available too, I've never considered the lower priced ones but I might this year.

My high priced silver plan apparently has enough holes in it to an able to throw a large cat through it.

Yes. Her birthday is February 1, so she will be eligible for Medicare on January 1.

The reason I asked that is that in 2018, I will turn 65 in September. So for 9 months we will both be buying private insurance, but in September I'll be losing the ACA plan and getting Medicare.

I have been assuming that we'll get the subsidy for 2 people until September, and then we'll just get the subsidy for one, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

The reason I asked that is that in 2018, I will turn 65 in September. So for 9 months we will both be buying private insurance, but in September I'll be losing the ACA plan and getting Medicare.

I have been assuming that we'll get the subsidy for 2 people until September, and then we'll just get the subsidy for one, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

You will get different subsidy amount but not half of what you got for the first nine months. There is calculation with a 2 person household even if only one needs insurance this will bump the subsidy up a little higher then one-half.....

This happened to us this year as DW went on medicare October 1st. The ACA premium went from $73 monthly for the two of us to $78 for just me.

You will get different subsidy amount but not half of what you got for the first nine months. There is calculation with a 2 person household even if only one needs insurance this will bump the subsidy up a little higher then one-half.....

Thanks,, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't lose the entire year's subsidy for the two of us, based upon the 4 months that I personally would be covered under Medicare.

Thanks,, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't lose the entire year's subsidy for the two of us, based upon the 4 months that I personally would be covered under Medicare.

Not to my knowledge.....my DH is already on Medicare and that's how it works for me.

Yes we are doing this. Wife is on Medicare and I am on ACA getting a $450/mo subsidy.
Not free but only pay $129/mo. All depends on your income level.

DH turned 65 this past January (mid month) so he started Medicare Jan 1st. The only glitch we had was that CoveredCA was very confused because the medicare start date was Jan 1... They were confused about a few other things as well - the loss of DH on the plan put us in a weird position where suddenly CoveredCA wanted our kids on mediCAL (california's medicaid) and it took major work to get them off and back on the ACA coveredCA plans.

We (me and kids) still got a premium tax credit. And DH's medicare A/B/D/F+ is better than he had, and lower premiums.

That's our situation and has been for three years. DW is on Medicare and through ACA I purchase a greatly discounted policy. I have some free plans available too, I've never considered the lower priced ones but I might this year.

My high priced silver plan apparently has enough holes in it to an able to throw a large cat through it.
Careful, the cat police may be watching........

Back
Top Bottom