HVAC maintenance

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
I was going to call a company in to service or replace my humidifier but I managed to fix it for time being at least. I also realize now that I have not had HVAC mtce for 8 years....which is when I installed a new York furnace. I have an Aprilaire air cleaner with massive accordion style filter which is supposed to keep the furnace squeaky clean. I'm skeptical of HVAC companies pushing annual maintenance....but am I safe to assume time to get a checkup and cleaning?

We have been discussing this in depth in the last few days here:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/are-hvac-maintenance-plans-worth-it-116243.html

My opinion? 2x per year plans are not worth it. Every few years makes sense, pay per visit. And if you are good with DYI, you can mostly do it all.

At 8 years, it can't hurt. If you have gas, perhaps all the better for a safety check. Be aware, they'll try to sell you hard on a plan. Your choice, and you can read the varied opinions at the above thread.

I've never had one of those 2X/year plans before, but now that I'm 74 it seemed like a good time to start so I just signed up for one this past fall. :wiseone:

At my age I would assume that I am probably headed into old age rapidly, and old people suffer more (and even die?) from extreme temperatures at home. Frankly it would be insane for me to start trying to do DIY work on my HVAC since my skills and experience lie in other areas. I am an elderly academic, not a tradesman/tradeswoman. So, that's why I started this 2X/year maintenance plan.

I might regret it, since I really resent having strangers and workmen in the house. Also I have never had excessive trouble with my HVAC. But, Frank is doing it so I guess I'm sort of copy-catting him.

i consider an annual inspection of our furnace and AC to be good preventative maintenance. i change the blower filter every 3-mos. i see my dentist twice a year, my primary care doc twice a year and have our csrs serviced twice a year. our furnace and AC are expensive and the annual PM is cheap insurance.

I buy a six pack of MERV 8 20"x25"x4" pleated filters and change them twice a year. Done.

Back
Top Bottom