I expect to come down with coronavirius, so to plan ahead for that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What "other" people are you referring to? You are more then a "bit" miffed some people have behaved badly since the dawn of time and that's not going to change. And quit believing all this anecdotal evidence.

ivinsfan, the "other" people are primarily reporting on the various threads here.

The following is serious without sarcasm. ivansfan, I really respect much of what you have written elsewhere here. Your calling me out is a sign I need to take a break. An intervention of sorts. Honestly, I'm too wound up right now. I love this forum and respect most of the members. I've gone too far the last day or so. It is simply time for me to breathe, and take a break, calm down, get some sun.

It is all good. Seriously. See ya'll in a while. Time to unsubscribe and log off for a bit. No hard feelings.

It turns out that we already had enough rice, beans, pasta, toilet paper, tuna, chicken in the house, so there has been little need to go to the store.

We can live without milk, alcohol, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, beef for a couple of months, but I am sure it won't come to that.

While I am not a prepper, I have camped away from my car for more than week at a time and carried all my food in my backpack. I certainly wasn't carrying any refrigerated items nor ice.

We have a freezer so I got frozen fruit and veggie on my last order, as a replacement not to "hoard" stuff.

Becoming a hoarder under these circumstances is selfish. The supply chain can’t ramp up for lots of people buying months worth of groceries and then back to “normal.” Everyone who’s doing it is forcing others to go without for a long while. When we’ve been out most people appear to be buying normal amounts but a few clearly aren’t, though that may change for the worse on a dime. I’m already seeing decent people on FB asking neighbors if they have any TP. Very sad.

Last edited:
ivinsfan, the "other" people are primarily reporting on the various threads here.

The following is serious without sarcasm. ivansfan, I really respect much of what you have written elsewhere here. Your calling me out is a sign I need to take a break. An intervention of sorts. Honestly, I'm too wound up right now. I love this forum and respect most of the members. I've gone too far the last day or so. It is simply time for me to breathe, and take a break, calm down, get some sun.

It is all good. Seriously. See ya'll in a while. Time to unsubscribe and log off for a bit. No hard feelings.

I hear you and the term call out is just I see people getting more and more tense its hard to step back..stay healthy.

This is the reason for all the hoarding. The high possibility of getting the virus and the unknowns going forward.........

Hope you are not justifying it.

We are trying to keep distance and haven't been to the store in 10 days. Apparently, when we go this week, we're screwed.

From what I see some on this forum reporting, they are going to the store daily. That's not helping.

There was no valid reason for people to hoard, IMO. If not for that, the store shelves wouldn't be so empty and people wouldn't feel as though they have to visit the stores so frequently to try and catch the latest truckload before it all gets sold out.

I stocked up responsibly starting in early to mid-February, buying extra each week. No one could have suspected by looking at the contents of my cart that I was doing anything differently. I probably could go 10 days without shopping again, gradually running out of produce and some other things. It wouldn't be a wise move though when needing to keep 4 adults fed.

Even when the stores eventually catch up and are more fully stocked again - and they will - there is still the issue of potential sickness among the 4 of us temporarily preventing us from going out to get food for a number of weeks. I wouldn't count on just having 2 weeks of food on hand, unless it's a household of 1. So, I'm still going out 1 or 2 times per week, mainly to replenish the perishables and buying a little extra to keep the stockpile up. With the reports of home delivery being delayed or cancelled outright, I wouldn't want to be counting on that.

Becoming a hoarder under these circumstances is selfish. The supply chain can’t ramp up for lots of people buying months worth of groceries and .....

What is "months worth of groceries"? People probably have stuff in their pantry that has been there for months that they don't want to eat. I know my wife has bought some weird stuff years ago that is still on the shelf. Same goes for what is found in people's freezers.

I confess that I probably have 3 months' worth of breakfast oatmeal because it just happened to go on sale at the end of February with a 3-for-$ deal. I only buy oatmeal on sale.

Some haven't had to panic shop because they were already prepared. If y'all want to be pissed, you should be at all of those/us who think having a couple days worth of food and supplies in their home is 'enough'.

It isn't just CoronaVirus - it could be a ton of different reasons why the modern day supply chain is disrupted. War, a truckers strike, economic disputes with our trading 'partners', or in this case a virus that feels no pain, has no love and instills fears in us partially because it is an unseen enemy. America is learning a painful lesson here - one I sincerely hope is just a lesson and not fatal (from either a personal or societal perspective).

There was no valid reason for people to hoard, IMO. If not for that, the store shelves wouldn't be so empty and people wouldn't feel as though they have to visit the stores so frequently to try and catch the latest truckload before it all gets sold out.

I stocked up responsibly starting in early to mid-February, buying extra each week. No one could have suspected by looking at the contents of my cart that I was doing anything differently. I probably could go 10 days without shopping again, gradually running out of produce and some other things. It wouldn't be a wise move though when needing to keep 4 adults fed.

Even when the stores eventually catch up and are more fully stocked again - and they will - there is still the issue of potential sickness among the 4 of us temporarily preventing us from going out to get food for a number of weeks. I wouldn't count on just having 2 weeks of food on hand, unless it's a household of 1. So, I'm still going out 1 or 2 times per week, mainly to replenish the perishables and buying a little extra to keep the stockpile up. With the reports of home delivery being delayed or cancelled outright, I wouldn't want to be counting on that.

I dont care how much TP and water people buy. In your house with so much outside interaction a month's worth of food would not be unreasonable..every family is different as to what they need.

What is "months worth of groceries"? People probably have stuff in their pantry that has been there for months that they don't want to eat. I know my wife has bought some weird stuff years ago that is still on the shelf. Same goes for what is found in people's freezers.

I confess that I probably have 3 months' worth of breakfast oatmeal because it just happened to go on sale at the end of February with a 3-for-$ deal. I only buy oatmeal on sale.
If your buying habits haven’t changed that’s fine. That’s why I stipulated “becoming a hoarder under these circumstances is selfish.” E.g. If 25% of the population were buying a weeks worth of most items and then suddenly decides to buy 2 months worth of food and staples, 75% of us will be without for weeks. Again, the supply chain can’t satisfy fluctuations like that.

We’ve self isolated and we’re following all the state and federal guidance to avoid catching or giving anyone covid-19. But I’m not at all worried about getting it, I’m sure it’s unpleasant but not likely fatal.

And as other threads have discussed, I don’t think we can keep this up for months. People have to work and generate income, at some point there’s a balance between flattening the curve and destroying the economy. Health officials won’t make those decisions, politicians should but may not, it may come down to individual (and small business) civil disobedience.

There are a few non-essential businesses in our area that have not closed, and should. I assume they can’t afford to be closed without going under, though I also assume their customer traffic is way down.

Last edited:
Think I'll call a neighbor buddy and make a food delivery pact in case one of us get ill.
He's as anti social as I so it's a good trade off.
Nursing needs, I guess I'll do the same pact with DD2. Come home and I'll take care you, I get sick you come take care me.

Good thread LOL.

If your buying habits haven’t changed that’s fine. That’s why is stipulated “becoming a hoarder under these circumstances is selfish.” If 25% of the population were buying a weeks worth of most items suddenly decides to buy 2 months worth of food and staples, 75% of us will be without for weeks. Again, the supply chain can’t satisfy fluctuations like that.

You know what I put some of the blame for this squarely at the feet of the press and some public officials.

They throw all out all these maybe figures and then act surprised when some people start to panic. That and people watching to many zombie movies and the Walking Dead.

As far as someone buying two to four weeks of food not really hoarding IMO. I live 15 miles from the nearest store and had a pretty intense work schedule when we had cows. I always had that much food in my house as a practical matter.

I know more then a few people a couple minutes from a store who think nothing of stopping in almost daily. (preCOVID). Their fridge is almost empty and not much in the pantry. People who want eggs for breakfast and have one egg in the carton. To go from that to buying two weeks of food will cause a run on things. I eat fresh when possible, did a switch to frozen and a little canned. I had a 100 bill on my last pickup and I didn't hoard a darn thing.

If you think anybody reading is enjoying even one second of this stuff you are greatly misinformed.

I agree. I am not enjoying it. It's scary to see so many empty shelves in the stores. :( Our state officials and other supply chain experts are assuring us that there is no real shortage of food. There's just a delay in getting the food to the stores. I'm glad of that, but it's hard to feel reassured when seeing so many empty shelves that do not appear to be adequately restocked. There must have been a run on peanut butter and jelly after the announcement of schools being closed, even though the schools are still providing free takeout meals. :confused:

In the few weeks prior to the panic buying, I probably spent $1,000 extra. That's for a family of 4, with a 6 ft. 4 in. son with a healthy appetite. I bought some canned fruit and veggies that I normally wouldn't buy, but we will eat, extras of things we normally buy, including meat, which really pushes the cost up, though I tried to take advantage of sales.

I'd never heard of people only shopping for enough food for a day or two before this. Growing up, my grandparents went grocery shopping once a week, without fail, and we still always had a little bit extra at the start of the trip, for a household of 5. I think the massive temporary shift of people not eating restaurant food is adding to the pressure on the grocery stores. I know a lot of this is fear, as often expressed by forum members. Part of it is also the shift to many people working from home now and the newly unemployed/minimally employed.

Case in point: When DD works, she eats a meal at work. With her not working many days right now, that puts added pressure on our grocery food stock. When DS works half shifts, he gets no meal break. When he's scheduled for full/double shifts, as kitchen staff, he gets a free meal. Lately DS has mostly worked half shifts, which is normal. I've told him to enjoy it while it lasts. If kitchen staff start coming down sick, he's going to get slammed with hours, as long as he's not sick. A positive to that is less pressure on our food stock. :)

We probably need to go to the same model other places have put in place. A rationing system of sorts that limits the number of people in the store, and limits lines. A sign-up system, etc.

My millennial neighbor says: "This is our generation's WWII." No it isn't, not when you keep driving around. Put rationing in place and then we have WWII.

I agree with some of what you say. Rationing is being put into place, although there are loopholes. Last week, an elderly lady had 3 gallons of milk in her cart. One might think she was hoarding, but I helped her find some condensed tomato soup, and she told me that she was shopping for 2 households, herself and her sister who had her grand kids living with her. The milk was mainly for the grand kids. She wouldn't have been able to do that a few days later. Walmart had a sign up, limit 1 per customer. You can get around that, I guess, by making multiple trips into the store, going to a different cashier each time. I don't know if people are doing that, but it wouldn't surprise me. When my 2 kids drank more milk when they were younger, I bought 2 gallons at a time. It's not at all unusual for families with young kids to go through that much in a week. Drinking it, cereal, etc. I'm really glad I don't have young kids to buy for right now, especially if they're fussy eaters or have special dietary needs.

Some haven't had to panic shop because they were already prepared. If y'all want to be pissed, you should be at all of those/us who think having a couple days worth of food and supplies in their home is 'enough'.

It isn't just CoronaVirus - it could be a ton of different reasons why the modern day supply chain is disrupted. War, a truckers strike, economic disputes with our trading 'partners', or in this case a virus that feels no pain, has no love and instills fears in us partially because it is an unseen enemy. America is learning a painful lesson here - one I sincerely hope is just a lesson and not fatal (from either a personal or societal perspective).

This is us, as matter of fact taking a clue from our mormon neighbors and friends we always have at least 30 days of goods on hand. TP who needs it 40 miles south of us no one puts any paper in the crapper. 60 days worth of fresh water in a storage tank which has been a blessing more than once in the 14 years we have lived here. Those living 5 minutes from a grocery store are the ones affected.

One problem as I see it - there is no clear definition of "hoarding".

One persons "hoarding" is another person's "preparing for the worst".

Another problem is, given the amount of people who live paycheck to paycheck, some may feel they need to buy up these items while they have money, in advance of a potential layoff where they have no money coming in and their CC's are maxed out.

Many of the models don't have everyone getting it. The majority, though, probably. But at some point, I hope those who avoided the disease will have access to a vaccine.

By the time there is a vaccine, I believe this years outbreak will have run its course. However having a vaccine for a future occurrence will be a good thing.

:cool:

One problem as I see it - there is no clear definition of "hoarding".

One persons "hoarding" is another person's "preparing for the worst".

Another problem is, given the amount of people who live paycheck to paycheck, some may feel they need to buy up these items while they have money, in advance of a potential layoff where they have no money coming in and their CC's are maxed out.
Semantics. If you’re buying much more than you otherwise have, you’re making those items scarcer for others. No way around it. I’m sure peeps who are doing it justify by saying I’m just one person/household so I’m not significant OR just couldn’t care less about others - that’s pure selfishness. If lots of people radically change their buying habits, it causes problems for everyone else including the supply chain.

Keep in mind that with schools closed and people working from home that there is alot more demand for goods in the home that would have normally come from elsewhere. Many of us retirees are one or two person households. Think of all those hungry kids that are now home instead of being at school. I completely understand why the store shelves are empty. Increased demand for groceries - not necessarily hoarding. Can't judge a book by it's cover (usually LOL).

Semantics. If you’re buying much more than you otherwise have, you’re making those items scarcer for others. No way around it. I’m sure peeps who are doing it justify by saying I’m just one person/household so I’m not significant OR just couldn’t care less about others - that’s pure selfishness. If lots of people radically change their buying habits, it causes problems for everyone else including the supply chain.

You are trying to leave your home as little as possible per instructions. when you grocery shop you buy for 7 to 10 days instead of 5 to decrease your public exposure. Besides that someone is your house might get sick and then being responsible means you don't leave your house period. You make sure you have a 2 week supply of food in your home as a baseline..it's not semantics. it's real world. You did say much more but how much it too much.

Less semantics and more human nature. I find that people can easily identify when others have more than they think they should have. But they rarely identify when they themselves have much more than others think they should have.

Clearly, some people are going overboard (hoarding) but, I don’t think it’s fair to say the shelves wouldn’t be empty if they weren’t. We’re being told to have a few weeks of food on hand. That’s probably double what most families have, assuming that most households shop once per week. Second, and to me most impactful, is that we’re going through a massive shift of food distribution.

We’re a country that eats restaurant food (food prepared outside the home). We are shifting that reality to one where we prepare food at home. We’re doing this in a matter of weeks. There is no way, even if people only take what they need for a week, that that wouldn’t shock the distribution system. I believe that’s the main reason the shelves are bare.

Hard to tell if I got it. I have pre-existing chronic congestion in my right nostril, at least partially due to a slightly crooked nose. I sometimes push my nose to the side to relieve the congestion and in the hope it will straighten my nose over time (I think it's helped). An occasional side effect of pushing against my nose is temporary nerve damage that could make my eye twitch and cause cold symptoms.

I pushed against my nose semi-aggressively (which I do maybe less than once a week) within 24 hours before the nasal soreness. The soreness feels the same as what I sometimes feel just before catching a cold (or before experiencing the full spectrum of cold symptoms...how often it's an actual cold IDK). I had the same soreness once when I came home from visiting someone at the hospital but it never turned into a cold, just the soreness. I've had it now for about 4 days and it hasn't gotten worse. So it's just a single cold symptom. and I can't even tell sometimes if I keep it moist in my nostrils, but I don't like that. My breathing is perfect.

Clearly, some people are going overboard (hoarding) but, I don’t think it’s fair to say the shelves wouldn’t be empty if they weren’t. We’re being told to have a few weeks of food on hand. That’s probably double what most families have, assuming that most households shop once per week. Second, and to me most impactful, is that we’re going through a massive shift of food distribution.

We’re a country that eats restaurant food (food prepared outside the home). We are shifting that reality to one where we prepare food at home. We’re doing this in a matter of weeks. There is no way, even if people only take what they need for a week, that that wouldn’t shock the distribution system. I believe that’s the main reason the shelves are bare.

Agreed.

And clearly we’ll have to eat fewer eggs per week....

You are trying to leave your home as little as possible per instructions. when you grocery shop you buy for 7 to 10 days instead of 5 to decrease your public exposure. Besides that someone is your house might get sick and then being responsible means you don't leave your house period. You make sure you have a 2 week supply of food in your home as a baseline..it's not semantics. it's real world. You did say much more but how much it too much.
I didn’t think I needed to repeat myself, but I was talking about people buying months worth, not days more. If you’ve been out shopping, it’s easy to see who’s buying way more - granted some may be buying for multiple families or other reasons, but not most. I saw a few at Costco last week - disgusting.
25624374-8082773-image-a-34_1583504702248.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t think I needed to repeat myself, but I was talking about people buying months worth, not days more. If you’ve been out shopping, it’s easy to see who’s buying way more - granted some may be buying for multiple families or other reasons, but not most...

Got it I haven't been a grocery store in 3 weeks. Most people I saw were shopping pretty normally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom