I guess I'd still qualify as a "early retiree."

Hey guys. I wouldn't be here, if I wasn't interested in doing it myself. I don't have $$ to burn, that's for sure. Thanks again for all the answers so far. I've ordered the Boglehead book. Will get a system in place to track spending. I think I can do quite a bit of it in a retrospective analysis. We don't pay cash for that much. Just using credit card bills (all with 0 balance) and the check book will give us a good idea of expenditures.

Daniel Solin's books are straightforward, with short, easily read chapters. The two I recommend are The Smartest Retirement Book You'll Ever Read and The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read.

MoPops

I'm all about planning (and over-planning). You certainly can't go into this phase of your life unprepared. As several have mentioned before, try as you may, there are some future expenses that you won't be able to put to bed prior to pulling the plug. You can anticipate them, but not eliminate them altogether.

I learned last evening of a dear uncle, 64, who found out only Monday that he has cancer in 4 areas. He was told, completely out of the blue, that he has 3 months. He retired at 57 extremely well prepared, having mapped out virtually to the dollar every conceivable expense he may encounter over a 40 year retirement. If the news is correct-and I sure hope it isn't-he'll only live to see 7 of those 40 years.

Seems we feel we can never have enough advance planning. In some cases though, we can never have enough time either.

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing your story!

I learned last evening of a dear uncle, 64, who found out only Monday that he has cancer in 4 areas. He was told, completely out of the blue, that he has 3 months. He retired at 57 extremely well prepared, having mapped out virtually to the dollar every conceivable expense he may encounter over a 40 year retirement. If the news is correct-and I sure hope it isn't-he'll only live to see 7 of those 40 years.

Ouch. Sorry for him if that diagnosis is confirmed. Hopefully he took full advantage of the 7 years.

More good information. I will check out, and more than likely order, Solin's books. I received my 1st Boglehead book this morning.
Having lost four friends in the last two years has impacted me tremendously. We were all prepping for retirement, one guy had accomplished it, all passed way too young.

I did my own roof, half 5 years ago, the other half last summer. Came out ok. However I also painted the exterior of the house. It's done, but looks like Earl Scheib did it. Still learning :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom