I Know a Price Gouge When I See One

I read a story about a guy who lost his job. To make ends meet he started picking up free appliances (washers, dryers, refridgerators) that didn't work. He stripped them of working parts and started selling them on Ebay. Sometimes he'll buy one cheap if it's a popular model. A fridge he buys for $25 or gets for free can net him several hundred dollars in parts within a couple of weeks. He's making so much money doing this that it's now his full time job.

After working on my washer in the past, this doesn't surprise me. The washer uses a timer than is no longer made. So, if one needs a replacement timer, it's the either pay elevated prices or get a new washer.

A few years back, I had trouble turning the timer knob on my washer. At first I thought was the timer knob itself but upon looking further, the issue was a broken plastic piece on the timer that's supposed to be secured by a screw. Eventually, rather than paying gouged prices for a replacement, I was able to just screw on a metal plate (mending plate for wood) after measured properly. Works better than new.

I've seen used, this model's timer with broken off areas where this washer's timer is supposed to be secured go for over $100.

Back
Top Bottom