I think I need to go back to w*rk

The benefit amount is based on your highest wages in the last 5 quarters so don't let the clock run out on that before you decide to claim.
To be brutally honest unless you're a superstar in your field, you probably have a very low chance of getting a job due to your age which is why your unemployment department will set you up with any training and other additional benefits that you might qualify for due to your age. They even pay for you to go back to school in some instances which extends your unemployment benefits.
They're very sympathetic and understand how helpless and lost you probably feel right now and it's their job to help you without putting any undue pressure on you in the beginning. Showing up to short training seminars in their office is considered looking for work. Looking for a job these days is not pounding the streets, it's pretty basic stuff and can be done online in about an hour a day four days a week. They help you update and upload your resume to their job websites and guide you through what you need to do to stay in compliance with their rules. Additionally you might meet others of your own age in the same situation as you and when you hear their horror stories of having to pay high rent and car payments etc with no money coming you'll realize your in far better shape than most.

Well I'm sure it could be worse but I still feel bad for failing to meet my goal.

OP--
Sounds like with all of the changes/layoffs/moving employees, your former work place is in a mess. Keep after HR to get things right for you. Sorry you are going through this.

Goals are flexible, based on new information. Set some new goals and don't beat yourself up so much.
Have you started looking for a new job if that is what you want to do?

Don't feel bad about signing up for unemployment. It's not an ethics thing. Your employer let you go before you were planning to. That qualifies you to receive benefits. At worse case, it is added income to supplement your current budget needs. Best case you might actually find a new job that you like and can work until your original planned retirement date.

I would be respectful of the fact that you are uncomfortable with your current finances and get back to w@rk while your young and the job market is great.

This isn't something to "mess" with .... some are TOO POOR and TOO
OLD to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Yeah well today was sidetracked with an ER visit for an IV (allergic reaction to my blood pressure meds). The ones that don't freaking work anyway.

I am not having much luck in any area. Tomorrow and Friday I have other medical appointments and hopefully no bad news there.

I’m sorry to hear about your allergic reaction.
You sure have had a tough year.
I’ve had those and they suck.

Regarding unemployment- if you aren’t lying about your situation then you aren’t being unethical.
Remember that your former employer put you in this position. You didn’t ask for it.
It seems to me that you are actually looking for another job. Maybe just not as formally as you might if you get UIB.

Thanks, Irishgirlyc58. Honestly I am barely keeping up with life at all lately. ER visits, doctor visits, benefits problems. IDK how how I had time to work before but I guess everything did not happen at once and right now it surely is.

Back
Top Bottom