I think I was posioned by natural gas....

astromeria said:
I love cooking with gas, but I hate cleaning my current gas stove--the big iron grates are very heavy for me, and they don't entirely fit into the sink. I thnk DH should clean them since he insisted on buying this high-end monstrosity, but he thinks I should since I do most of the cooking and therefore make most fo the mess.

I think that if you do most of the cooking, he should clean any thing you want cleaned, and happily too. Especially if it is physically hard for you to do, and double that if he chose the range.

Tell him I said so.  :)

Ha

HaHa said:
I think that if you do most of the cooking, he should clean any thing you want cleaned, and happily too. Especially if it is physically hard for you to do, and double that if he chose the range.

This is the arrangement that DW and I have. She cooks and I clean. She does tend to cook with reckless abandon, so stuff's flying everywhere. It all started because I didn't like the way she loaded the dishwasher so I started doing it myself. I'm not OCD, really!

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but methane (natural gas) is more dense than air.    Unless you lie down on the floor of an enclosed space, you're probably not breathing in much of it.

This got me thinking.   We've all heard of people committing suicide by sticking their head in an oven, turning on the gas, and asphyxiating themselves, right?

That doesn't seem like it should work, unless your oven has a tight-fitting hole to put your head into.   So, I think this idea may have come from the days when people had coal-burning stoves.   Supposedly, the fumes from burning coal are highly toxic.

wab said:
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but methane (natural gas) is more dense than air.    Unless you lie down on the floor of an enclosed space, you're probably not breathing in much of it.

This got me thinking.   We've all heard of people committing suicide by sticking their head in an oven, turning on the gas, and asphyxiating themselves, right?

That doesn't seem like it should work, unless your oven has a tight-fitting hole to put your head into.   So, I think this idea may have come from the days when people had coal-burning stoves.   Supposedly, the fumes from burning coal are highly toxic.

This is unfortunately not true. Air has a density of  1.2kg/m3; methane 0.717 Kg/m3. You may be thinking of propane which is heavier than air. Oddly, the lighter than air quality of methane (natural gas) makes is overall less dangerous than for example propane, because methane will dissipate, but propane will pool in a space like an invisible and deadly liquid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighter_than_air

Ha

D'oh!   You're right, of course.   Air is mostly N2, so molecular weight is around 28.   Methane is CH4, molecular weight of 16.   Bit more than half the density of air.   I'll never get that job as Mr Wizard at this rate....

So, the lesson for today is: if you want to commit suicide in your natural gas oven, the best way is stick your head in there face-up on the top rack.

wab said:
.... I'll never get that job as Mr Wizard at this rate....

So, the lesson for today is: if you want to commit suicide in your natural gas oven, the best way is stick your head in there face-up on the top rack.

I'm so sorry, Mr. Wizard (I'm saying this in a funny voice, but that just doesn't come through on a keyboard  :)).

The sticking-the-head-in-the-oven routine is really from bygone days. When the gas piped into homes was coal gas. Made from... Coal! The killer, literally, was the Carbon Monoxide content of the gas itself. Not very high, percentage-wise, but very high for human absorbtion.

So if someone wants to do this, not only do they need to get a period-piece oven, they need to get antique gas, too!  :D

Back
Top Bottom